My Tractor Forum banner
3601 - 3609 of 3609 Posts

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
We have trees around here that were "blown" over too from the storm yesterday. Nothing on my property but up and down the road. power went out too.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Going to get pressed into service today. The neighbor has a heavy leaner box elder that split about 15' off the ground and fell to the ground. I am not wild about doing chainsaw work this time of year but it has to be done. Will take the orchard sprayer off the bucket tractor, as the loader makes life just a bunch easier. Burn pile is 100' away. Will cut the big limbs of the tops and pull the whole thing to the burn pile which we will start and burn as it gets cut up. Then use loader to cut trunk into manageable pieces and dump on pile. Should go pretty fast as it is only a 24" tree. All the saws are "summerized" except two which are always fueled and ready to go, a 346XP and 357XP, my favorites.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Got all the work above done today, took 2 hours including cutting stump off low but haven't got Tordon on it yet.

I am making this post because I screwed up today and it could have been much worse hurting myself.

The injury is a slight skin tear the size of a dime above my left ankle and a contusion that caused a bruise. Here is what happened:

The crown of the tree is on the ground attached 15' off the ground. I always cut all the the limbs off that are touching the ground and in big pieces because I am going to pull them to the burn pile with the bucket tractor. I had finished left side of the tree and was on the right, the tree at this point had probably 2 or 3 points touching the ground but it is hard to see with all the leaves and brush. EVERYTHING you cut has some amount of tension or compression and I am very cognizant of this. I was cutting an 8" limb with a LOT of weight driving it into the ground. A shallow cut was made on the top, then 2/3rds of the way through was cut on the bottom towards the top but a small amount was still attached holding it. I made several more very shallow cuts at angles so as to not stick the bar and did cut through the branch which I felt would go directly to the ground. But it did not, it when horizontal to the ground and hit me in the leg, hurt like a [email protected]@rd and really startled me.

Right now as I am typing, I still don't see what I did wrong other than not understand what force caused it to do that.

The tree being a heavy leaner was felled with a bore cut that was without issue. I don't bore a lot but the tree already was split about 12' in the middle 15' off the ground and was a very strong barber chair candidate.

Anyway boys, I screwed up. :rolleyes: :censored:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Glad you are mostly OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,605 ·
Heal fast Ron - and chalk this up in the contuse and learn column.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Dodged a bullet there. Glad you're still ok enough to still be here to talk about it!

You're not kidding, this is always a dangerous job. Nothing worse than not being able to learn from it, either (not knowing exactly what you did wrong).

Mike

·
Super Moderator
10,575 Posts
Glad it was minor...incidents like that always make me more careful the next time...,,heal up quickly...tree work is some of the most dangerous work there is

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Glad you are mostly OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heal fast Ron - and chalk this up in the contuse and learn column.
Dodged a bullet there. Glad you're still ok enough to still be here to talk about it!

You're not kidding, this is always a dangerous job. Nothing worse than not being able to learn from it, either (not knowing exactly what you did wrong).

Mike
Glad it was minor...incidents like that always make me more careful the next time...,,heal up quickly...tree work is some of the most dangerous work there is

Thanks guys, I am fine and will walk 18 holes in a couple hours as I do everyday since I never get a day off like the working lads.

Just posted to instill safety in everyones minds.

Last week another neighbor had a 12" limb break out of a cherry but it was still attached 20' off the ground and land on their shed. They wanted my opinion. I said, "take pictures and call your insurer."

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Good call! I won't cut anything that has enough height to hit any nearby building. Unless I rent a lift, and even then, I'd prefer not to. And if something is already half down and leaning on a building, I'm definitely not touching it...

Mike

3601 - 3609 of 3609 Posts