My Tractor Forum banner
3581 - 3600 of 3609 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Sounds like fun, can't wait to see the videos, Jere!

Nice job putting that little Gator to work!

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,582 ·
I am back from the mountain cabin, and completing some editing and loading of the video which I'll start placing in the "Felling" topic. But, as promised, my first task was to saw up the logs on our firewood pile. I sawed them pretty quickly, then because the guy who runs the splitter was delayed a day in arriving, I ran the splitter for a couple hours.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
Speaking of the mountains I need to get back up to Dad's and get all the stuff the logging company didn't take. I've just been so busy I don't have time plus I have all that wood from the tree job we did to split yet.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a pile of apple that I split up into firewood size pieces(18” x4”). I would like to cut those pieces in half to make them the best length for my smoker. Any tricks for holding them safely to cut them with the chainsaw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I still need to get over to the MIL's place to pick up a giant maple. Hopefully it's not punked out by now.

Mike

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
I spent some money today. 2 standard chains and a "noodling" chain for the saw.

now once I get the Duetz back home I can get the rest of the stuff moved around and get to splitting. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Um... what makes it a "noodling" chain???

Mike

·
Registered
877 Posts
“Full skip” missing every other cutter so it doesn’t load up as quickly with the long chips “ noodles” cutting along the grain.

I think the guys out west even use it cutting across really big softwood to clear the chips faster with really long bars. They run really long bars for the same power head size as we do for old hardwood.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Thanks, I'd assumed that was it, but wasn't sure. Are you getting those locally, or can you recommend an online source?

Mike

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have had good luck buying Oregon chains from Amazon. I use Oregon’s site to determine the part number I want, then go to Amazon to order.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
“Full skip” missing every other cutter so it doesn’t load up as quickly with the long chips “ noodles” cutting along the grain.

Yes this is why I bought it. I was informed on this thread about these chains and figured for $40 I'll give it a shot.

Thanks, I'd assumed that was it, but wasn't sure. Are you getting those locally, or can you recommend an online source?

Mike
I bought them at a local shop. They also do my chain sharpening. I'd rather deal local then on line anymore. I'd rather support small business that Amazon for lesser expensive stuff.
Now the tires I put on the 318 would have cost 2 times what I paid for them on amazon so.....................

·
Registered
877 Posts

I used a ratchet strap to hold some pieces of apple to cut them in half to fit in the smoker. It worked well, but was a little slow. I’m going to try a brisket tomorrow.

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts

I used a ratchet strap to hold some pieces of apple to cut them in half to fit in the smoker. It worked well, but was a little slow. I’m going to try a brisket tomorrow.

That's when you get out the battery powered miter-box. ;)

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Yesterday got some points with my logger buddies. It was too muddy to work so they brought the on road/ off road log forwarder over to my house to weld a broken bracket that holds the hydraulic lines in place on top of the loader. Got some real rubberneck looks from the neighbors with it sitting in the driveway. I told the one that it was going to be my new wood hauler, he was speechless.
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
LMBO! Yeah I guess that would strike so controversy.

Reactions: c5rulz

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mopar, your miter box comment gave me an idea. I screwed some 2x6 scraps to the side of a pallet and made a really crude miter box. It worked much better than the ratchet strap.
Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
Mopar, your miter box comment gave me an idea. I screwed some 2x6 scraps to the side of a pallet and made a really crude miter box. It worked much better than the ratchet strap.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Nice! That's what we're here for.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
That's a pretty cool idea!

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,599 ·
Scout and I heard a tremendous crash in the woods while hiking before a coming storm. We eventually found this big old oak tree that was obviously hollow had blown over.

I didn't think the winds were that high, so this old fellow probably only needed a puff to set it toppling. Much of this tree will not be worth much, but it took down a smaller oak that I'll get nearly a cord from when the weather turns back to woods work ready.

·
Registered
877 Posts
looks like the compost in the middle would be more valuable than the wood around it.

• Haha
3581 - 3600 of 3609 Posts