My Tractor Forum banner
3561 - 3580 of 3609 Posts

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
You need to know the pitch, width, and number of drive links. Then you can shop for chains.

Then you need to pick the cutter profile. Full chisel has cutters with a profile that looks like a 7. Semi are shaped more like a ?. Full are more aggressive but dull easier.

Next, anti-kickback safety chain has an extra hump on the non cutter links that makes it not grab as much as it rounds the nose of the bar.
Most saws like yours come with safety chain for a really good reason. I run safety chain on my 50 cc saw because I use it for limbing and any weird position work. The difference in speed isn’t worth the risk for me.

If you want to noodle a bunch, you can get a full skip chain that omits every other cutter. That enables it to clear better.

In general, a 20” bar on a basic 50cc saw will be a lot in hardwood like cherry or maple. You need to keep the chain sharp and let the saw move at its pace.

Oregon chains are available on Amazon if you aren’t in a rush. I just got a new loop of full chisel safety chain for my MS260 for $20 and it worked great yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great info. (y)

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Great info. (y)
Agreed!

If you go with full skip, you can go with an even longer bar, correct? I've seen some crazy long bars on pretty small power heads (online, YouTube). Seems more common in Europe.

Mike

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
Agreed!

If you go with full skip, you can go with an even longer bar, correct? I've seen some crazy long bars on pretty small power heads (online, YouTube). Seems more common in Europe.

Mike
I would not want to go longer on the bar. 20" is plenty for what I need. Noddle it from one side and get the rest from the other side.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I’d start with a full chisel non safety chain and try noodling one. Worst case you can use that chain for bucking firewood. I think your saw is 3/8” pitch, 0.50” wide. Need to find how many drive links. 72 is popular in 20” bar, but you have to be sure or your chain won’t fit.

Just for goofs, I noodled this big round in half this morning. I got this saw back from my dad and he said it was hard to start when it was hot. I wanted to run some gas with seafoam in it to see if it would help. You have to pay attention that the noodles don’t get stuck and be patient. It took a while, but it worked just fine. This is only a 41cc saw.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
Well here's a pic of the chain description. And the English walnut across the street I'm taking.

I'd love to just get on line and buy a few chains cheap BUT there is a place in town that sharpens and sells chains. I would rather buy from a local place and have the service.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
Oh and we called called our "slab guy" to come take a look at the walnut in case he can use it for something, if not I'm going to cut it up for firewood.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,568 ·
Pulled a long Walnut limb that was hanging in a poplar tree down yesterday. I don't typically get any walnut for firewood, but I sawed this up and I'll stack it among my "mixed" hardwoods and burn some of it next year to see how it burns. You can tell it was a light day, but I had big plans, so the camera was out:

Sawing:

And, though already posted in the JD thread, might as well include it here, the pull down:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Dang @Jere39 That chain does not seem up to normal Jere39 standards? o_O

Just hassling ya.;)

The wood working guys I know go bonkers when I process black walnut for firewood. I tell them it splits easy, burns with a blue flame and smells good while burning, (not so much while cutting):cool:

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,570 ·
That chain was not up to my standards, and though not so obvious on the small-ish walnut, it was pulling a little. Later I did some cutting in preparation for some low-low-budget milling, and the chain has issues, and maybe the bar needs some dressing too. I'm on it. I am the chainsaw guy for our annual mountain cabin firewood weekend in two weeks. And, we are taking down a tree that stands about 2 feet from the corner of the cabin. So, I'll want a straight cutting, sharp, ready for quick action chain.

Reactions: mikeinri and c5rulz

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
That chain was not up to my standards, and though not so obvious on the small-ish walnut, it was pulling a little. Later I did some cutting in preparation for some low-low-budget milling, and the chain has issues, and maybe the bar needs some dressing too. I'm on it. I am the chainsaw guy for our annual mountain cabin firewood weekend in two weeks. And, we are taking down a tree that stands about 2 feet from the corner of the cabin. So, I'll want a straight cutting, sharp, ready for quick action chain.

I understand, on small jobs that require little saw work there is no reason to spend time on the chain. BTW it is still cutting way better than many I see. ;)

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
The wood working guys I know go bonkers when I process black walnut for firewood. I tell them it splits easy, burns with a blue flame and smells good while burning, (not so much while cutting):cool:
I hate to cut up the 10ft section of English walnut across the street but our slab guy hasn't gotten back to us yet and the neighbor wants it gone. :(

Reactions: Jere39

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
OK my first foray into the land of video, maybe???

The splitter in action: Note Beau making off with splitter trash.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

Reactions: mikeinri and Jere39

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
That's funny. The dog ran off with the scraps. LOL...........

Man that thing is sweet!

Reactions: c5rulz

·
Registered
877 Posts
I went up to VT to visit my mom and uncle. I dropped a small maple next to the garden and 3 plum trees that had some disease.

I bucked up the maple and the bigger pieces of plum.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Turbo, that's Black Knot Fungus. I lost a couple of plum trees to that here as well.

Mike

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Well I am done for the season, finished today. Way later than usual. It was super cold in Feb. and I had to use a small 25 ton splitter for about 2/3rds of the pile. Put the log lift to the test today with a large round. It was so big I could not budge it off the cut end and had to get a cant to get on its side so I could roll it. Note the size of the branch coming out of it. Blew it off with a leaf blower will wash tomorrow. About an hour before I was done ran low on fuel intentionally and topped off with 100LL aviation fuel for Summarizing. Will wash tomorrow, remove the push plate stop to fully retract the cylinder and then cover after collapsing the tongue and log table.

DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0011.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0013.JPG

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,580 ·
Grandson helped me out hauling the last of the 2020/21 season of firewood here on the summit:

Will be headed to our cabin in the mountains next weekend to take down a tree threatening our cabin and cutting another year supply of firewood for the camp. My job will be easier than the splitting and stacking guys, but many hands make for a fun weekend. I hope to remember to take the GoPro, I'll line up the tree that stands close to our cabin and hitch it to one of my buddies truck to take any risk out of the fell. Still should make for some excitement worthy of video.

3561 - 3580 of 3609 Posts