My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
3521 - 3540 of 3652 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Yes it has a compression release. We had a problem with it several years ago on the Alaskan mill when the compression release blew out of the saw while cutting. We put a heli-coil in and so far so good. Here is the video when it blew out. It happens about 5:30 into the vid.

That must have been an OH CRAP moment pulling it over with no compression until figuring out what happened.

Reactions: cjet69

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
That must have been an OH CRAP moment pulling it over with no compression until figuring out what happened.
Yes it was. Then it was deciding on the repair method. The 3 we looked at were Helicoil, Time-sert, and Keensert. We decided to go with the Helicoil first and if we have another problem we can try one of the others. Last option is a new cylinder.

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Split the Alder that I cut down 5 days ago along with a small 8" wild cherry tree. I then moved on to limbing the limbs. This tree had some bigger limbs that are big enough to make firewood out of. I have the limbs stacked by the Ford 9N with the cordwood saw. I'll finish cutting them up tomorrow and then its time to haul and stack.

Plant Tree Logging Wood Natural landscape Plant Sky Cloud Logging Wood Cloud Sky Plant Tree Land lot Plant Plant community Sky Cloud Natural landscape Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood Sky Plant Tree Natural environment Land lot Natural landscape Tire Wheel Plant Tractor Vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Pulled An Alder tree out that blew down last Sunday night. Cut it into rounds and started splitting, but didn't get much done due to feeding time for the cows.

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Automotive tire Plant Nature Wood Botany Tree Plant Wood Logging Tree Trunk Plant Tree Leaf Sunlight Land lot

·
Parts collector
4,350 Posts
Nice man.

Here's what we did in the last 3 days.
Oh and to Mr Mike, that asked me not to post pics of the backhoe and cutting wood. Not cutting, BUT that tri-branched stump was 1000lbs.

I did have to put two 200lbs logs in the bucket to move it to the trailer. ;) Because I was pulling wheelies.
I can't wait to get the lines hooked up to the splitter to see what it will do hooked to the tractor.

Attachments

Reactions: mikeinri and cjet69

·
Super Moderator
38,069 Posts
Nice man.

Here's what we did in the last 3 days.
Oh and to Mr Mike, that asked me not to post pics of the backhoe and cutting wood. Not cutting, BUT that tri-branched stump was 1000lbs.

I did have to put two 200lbs logs in the bucket to move it to the trailer. ;) Because I was pulling wheelies.
I can't wait to get the lines hooked up to the splitter to see what it will do hooked to the tractor.
Thats going to help keep your back in better shape!! Did you have any issue with the wood dropping out of that manual thumb at all?

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Split the rest of the Alder today and the pile keeps growing. This pile should make the woodshed look better. I have 5 more logs on the ground that need processing and a couple dead or dying trees still standing that should finish things off for the season. Then I need to cut down all of the dead Cedar and run it thru the sawmill.

Plant Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Plant Tire Tree Logging Wood Plant Wood Logging Sky Tree Wheel Plant Tire Sky Natural environment

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Parts collector
4,350 Posts
Thats going to help keep your back in better shape!! Did you have any issue with the wood dropping out of that manual thumb at all?
Oh my word! That was awesome having that backhoe!
Nope you just need to put the tractor so it's all but flat when you try to grab it.

@mopar65pa Whoa... Quick, hold my beer!

Mike
I'll tell you what. You tell me how to split an over 3ft stump and I'll buy you a 12 pack. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts

This is NOT going to help my RV-replacement budget!!!

Mike

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Parts collector
4,350 Posts

This is NOT going to help my RV-replacement budget!!!

Mike
LMBO!

Everyone is worthy my friend.

I am seriously impressed with the "functionality" and capability of this tractor and so was everyone else!

Now, I and my wife, and my business partner, wait to see if the tractor will split this stuff hooked to my old splitter.

The splitter is a home made from before I bought it. I just transformed it more.

We will see

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Can't wait until you MacGyver a wrist onto that thing so you can delicately place the chunks onto the splitter!

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
The woodshed is starting to look better. I shouldn't be scrabbling to find burnable wood like I had to last winter.

Plant Wood Tree Lumber Trunk Wood Natural material Logging Trunk Lumber

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I just showed my wife your pic of the loaded Gator on the other thread, I could refill firewood in no time with one of those (vs. using a wheelbarrow or tractor cart for multiple trips).

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
I just showed my wife your pic of the loaded Gator on the other thread, I could refill firewood in no time with one of those (vs. using a wheelbarrow or tractor cart for multiple trips).

Mike
So when are you picking up your new Gator? :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Hey @c5rulz and @Jere39, you guys both commented on my post a few weeks about the new house that we just bought on the 40 acres with the wood boiler. You guys obviously both know plenty about heating with wood. I mean, I've always had a fireplace, but never used that as my main heat source. This is the webpage from the brand of wood boiler we've got. Ours is the 5500 series. Do either of you happen to know anything about this brand? Any input good or bad? Thanks for your help. WoodMaster-Flyer-March-2020.pdf

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
So when are you picking up your new Gator? :LOL:
That's pretty far down on the wish list.

We need to figure out what we're doing about the RV first. It's 28 years old, in pretty good shape, but needs a transmission and/or torque converter. It actually runs just fine unless you try to climb big hills/mountains. Not sure that it's worth the investment at this point, or whether it's time to upgrade to something newer.

We've certainly got our money's worth out of it. We've owned it for 16 years. My FIL helped us rebuild the bunk (water damaged) and then borrowed it for a winter while he cleared a plot of land to build a house.

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,539 ·
Hey @c5rulz and @Jere39, you guys both commented on my post a few weeks about the new house that we just bought on the 40 acres with the wood boiler. You guys obviously both know plenty about heating with wood. I mean, I've always had a fireplace, but never used that as my main heat source. This is the webpage from the brand of wood boiler we've got. Ours is the 5500 series. Do either of you happen to know anything about this brand? Any input good or bad? Thanks for your help. WoodMaster-Flyer-March-2020.pdf
Sorry Jeff, I do not have any experience with, nor first hand knowledge of that brand. As always, the first several answers to a question will always be more questions. So:

1. Is it currently hooked to heat in the house via a water exchange with baseboard heat? Or is it a closed loop providing an exchange in the house for a forced hot air heat?
  2. It looks like that unit is capable of a second loop, but it did not look like there was heat in the large building that currently had the JD sitting in it. But would that be an option in your future?
  3. Have you the interest, and inclination to provide daily attention to the fire in one of these? I believe they are best kept burning for weeks at a time, rather than run a day, let cool for a couple, then restart.

Sorry to be of little help, FWIW, the brand is a well known brand, and generally gets good reviews as I read them elsewhere.

Reactions: mikeinri and c5rulz

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Sorry @Just Jeff I have no knowledge about specific OWB. But I do know some people who have them. These are the general observations.

1. DO NOT skrimp on the PEX lines. Buy good ones that are well INSULATED, otherwise you are heating the ground
2. Make sure the system, everything is designed by someone who knows what they are doing, DIYers take note.
3. You still need to properly process and dry firewood. Chucking green garbage wood in my burn, but you will struggle with it and SMOKE which will anger your neighbors.
4. OWB burn double the wood an inside stove will.
5. A buddy has an OWB and is heating a big shop and a house. It can consume a heaping 8' pickup box daily.

This forum is all about wood stoves: Hearth.com Forums Home

3521 - 3540 of 3652 Posts