My Tractor Forum banner

3241 - 3251 of 3251 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Finally getting back to some wood cutting. Dropped one dead alder and bucked up some alder logs that I had stacked up. Most of the wood is dry and ready to burn. The larger logs will need some dry time.

GOPR0446-m.JPG GOPR0447-m.JPG GOPR0448-m.JPG GOPR0449-m.JPG

Reactions: mopar65pa and Bebop

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,243
Sawed up that Ash I had moved to a good processing space today:

When finished, it looked like it had snowed around that white wood:

Since the saw was running so sweet, and I still had half a tank, I walked into the briars where this big oak fell quite a while ago and sawed off 8 more blocks till I ran out of gas again:

My son was around to help, and had already started rolling these out of the briars. Both our legs are pretty well marked up. I don't wear usually chaps, or logging pants, (I know, I know) but kevlar would have been pretty handy back at the butt of that tree.

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Did a little splitting and hauling. I got just shy of 2 full loads in the Gator and the rains started again.

GOPR0453-m.JPG GOPR0455-m.JPG GOPR0456-m.JPG

·
Registered
453 Posts
You got to cut a little every year , so it has time to season , get years ahead , it will spider crack and turn gray i like cross stacking . I will be picking up sticks today and storing them in tubs for kindeling , if i run out i am in trouble for lighting , ive gone out in the woods and just found big branches that are down to cut and trees with no bark , going into a year with unseasoned wood could prove tough unless your set up to burn it .
Yeah I was behind before I ever started this year. Once I get this stacked I’ll start taking down some of the standing dead trees on the property. This is where I left it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah I was behind before I ever started this year. Once I get this stacked I’ll start taking down some of the standing dead trees on the property. This is where I left it today.

wow that looks good , I cut a small amount this year , maby I will get by , I had some left over from last year .

·
Parts collector
3,600 Posts

Nice stack!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a long wood duel fuel it needs new grates . The intake air butterfly may or may not work i burned up my 24 volt transformer . I have been using foil tape over the intake to cut the air back . It opens when calling for heat then shuts when its not . Thats how I am burning up grates and they don't make them any more I'm going to try to get reproduction or make some I really don't know if I can get reproduction . What kind of stove do you have .

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a long wood duel fuel it needs new grates . The intake air butterfly may or may not work i burned up my 24 volt transformer . I have been using foil tape over the intake to cut the air back . It opens when calling for heat then shuts when its not . Thats how I am burning up grates and they don't make them any more I'm going to try to get reproduction or make some I really don't know if I can get reproduction . What kind of stove do you have .
I don’t have anything nearly that complicated. My house has a Fisher Grandma Bear stove in it. It’s not very efficient but it works well for this little house. I have been looking at used Jotul stoves to replace it but I need dry wood first!!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don’t have anything nearly that complicated. My house has a Fisher Grandma Bear stove in it. It’s not very efficient but it works well for this little house. I have been looking at used Jotul stoves to replace it but I need dry wood first!!!!

Got a momma bear in my barn T eaed in to a big wood stove , long wood duel fuel came out in the 70s great stove just don't make parts for them any more , got a hardy boiler for my green house , I want a top fed bolier for house and green house I think I do , maby some one will chime in on good boilers and wood stoves , i probably should start a thread but don't wish to split this one , you need dry wood go out in the woods and look for dead stuff sticks watch out for termites and ants thats what I do when I get behind , I pick up trash cans full of sticks for kindeling , let it sit out and get cold hopeing the ants will leave ,

·
Registered
405 Posts
That wood you have now will take a while to season and will or could look like dumping tar an your roof , go look for some dead stuff and mix a small piece in when you have a lively fire , when you cut the air back the flu gets cold and burns dirty . I can't even sleep with my big woman with this covid thing we have been sleeping separate . I'm going to freeze .

3241 - 3251 of 3251 Posts