My Tractor Forum banner

3221 - 3240 of 3251 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,221
Scout and I are on lunch break. I busted an over-load of the big rounds into man-sized blocks, loaded, hauled, split, stacked - repeat.

This load is about 2½ of those rounds, each one calculated at over 600 lbs. I think Deere advertises the 15s at something over 1000lbs, so we are close. I'm hauling on the level, on my property, and at very modest speed.

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
How are the brakes on the quad on a slope with a heavy load in the trailer?

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,223
Brakes are not a strong suit on this quad. I don't really have any slopes that I run down with the quad loaded. The engine is very good at holding it back if I needed too, that provides four wheel engine braking. But the hand brakes are not great.

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Gotcha. I know nothing about quads. Wonder if the can be upgraded/upsized?

Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nice video Jere. The thing I like best is you split your wood much as I do. Small enough to lift with one hand. My cousin is 8 years older than me and always says "His" way of splitting is better and faster. I still sell a few cord and tell him I split small so the elderly people I sell to can lift it. He bounces back that he doesn't sell wood anymore so he splits his in 30-40 pound pieces. I asked how his wife loads the stove when he's not around, he says she doesn't, lets the fire go out. I split off my big trailer onto a smaller one. When I get tired of splitting or run out, I take the wood to my wood shed or stacking area and stack it. He says he doesn't stack, just moves his splitter over and makes small piles he takes to the house later. All of my racks are measured half cord racks so I don't cheat people. He doesn't care about measuring.

I ran out of wood already and a couple friends want a cord each. I've been going through my woods cutting my secret stash of Pecker Poles, dead standing Oaks, about 8-10 inches. I got back in the woods and found a log I cut down 10-12 years ago. It was the first log I milled with my Grandberg. When I threw the tree down I put small logs on the ground to get it up off the ground so I wouldn't have to bend over to mill it. I milled 2 eight foot logs and never got to this one. It's still up off the ground. All of the bark and sap wood have long rotted off. Just out of curiosity, I cut a 2-3 inch cookie off the end and dang if that thing isn't solid as a rock inside. If you look, you can see how much moisture is still in that wood. Kinda shows that just because it's been dead or on the ground for years, it doesn't season till it's split.
Thanks again, Jere

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,226
When I read my moisture meter on a long dead Oak, after sawing it, whether standing or laying on the ground, I'll get 30+%, no matter how long it's been dead. Not till it is sawed, split, and exposed to air does it really start to season.
Speaking for my own situation with my own dead Red and my own temperature and humidity environment.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've always thought about getting a moisture meter, even though i've been cutting and burning wood for over 35 years and not having one. Do I really need one, I guess if I could find a good one at A reasonable price i'd probably get one.

So the question of the day what would you recommend would be a good one?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,228
I've always thought about getting a moisture meter, even though i've been cutting and burning wood for over 35 years and not having one. Do I really need one, I guess if I could find a good one at A reasonable price i'd probably get one.

So the question of the day what would you recommend would be a good one?
I have been cutting and burning wood for about 50 years now too. I never had a meter, it is pretty easy to get a sense of whether the wood is ready to burn or not from feel. But about 10 years ago I started selling firewood, and found enough customers who wanted to see a meter reading that I bought one on Amazon for something around $10. I'd say this has very little chance of being considered a "good one". But it is consistent, and useful to measure the change of moisture content over time. So, if I get a 30% reading when I cut a dead Red Oak, it will read 30% + or - 2% for all readings on the log. And, after it is split and stacked, it will start reducing about 2% per month of dry weather down to about 16%.

So, while I cannot comment on whether this one reads the same as a $40 or $50 one might, it is useful for showing customers, and useful for measuring the seasoning process. That is all I really needed/wanted.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks I've looked at them a few times on Amazon, sometimes you don't know if the Reviews are real or not on some of the things for sale there. I figure a first hand review of the one they use from a actual person who is well know in the cutting world is good enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Nice Draughthair and Shorthair!! I miss my shorthairs, I had 3 of them over the years.

For 30 years I have had Drahthaars. Kade is a Drahthaar although he does look like a shorthair. Beau is a Labradoodle. Never thought I would have a designer dog but he was kind of a rescue. My wife took one look at the picture of him and said go get him because he looks so much like Yatt, the Drahthaar who passed away a year and half ago.

Here are pics of both,

Bea (before being clipped)
DSC00123.JPG
028 and backyard 021.JPG
is first then Yatt:

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
My logger buddies called me this week and said to "come get some wood". It is super nice and probably the last decent day for golf but I took today off. Went and got a load yesterday after golf and met them for lunch on the logs and go another load.

Getting a decent start, 4 loads so far. It adds up real fast when they are loading the trailer and it takes minutes.
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0013.JPG
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG
DSCF0016.JPG

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
405 Posts
My logger buddies called me this week and said to "come get some wood". It is super nice and probably the last decent day for golf but I took today off. Went and got a load yesterday after golf and met them for lunch on the logs and go another load.

Getting a decent start, 4 loads so far. It adds up real fast when they are loading the trailer and it takes minutes. View attachment 2479291 View attachment 2479292 View attachment 2479293 View attachment 2479294 View attachment 2479295 View attachment 2479296 View attachment 2479297 View attachment 2479298 View attachment 2479299 View attachment 2479300
Been looking for this thread , I cut about a rick the tree fell right on top a fence post . I have some from last year , I may not cut a lot just depends on how the equipment and weather holds out i have one i may hand hew to a beam , i once ripped one with a rip saw just to see if I could its in a pass to stop through travel looks good and rustic out in the woods . Probably been around 10 years or so .

·
Registered
604 Posts

Getting a decent start, 4 loads so far. It adds up real fast when they are loading the trailer and it takes minutes. View attachment 2479291 View attachment 2479292 View attachment 2479293 View attachment 2479294 View attachment 2479295 View attachment 2479296 View attachment 2479297 View attachment 2479298 View attachment 2479299 View attachment 2479300
That's the way to do it when you have the option. Kinda tough on chains with no snow?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
That's the way to do it when you have the option. Kinda tough on chains with no snow?

Well there are two facets to that statement:

1. Logs cable skidded with frozen ground are much cleaner, i.e. not near the dirt.

2. The soft dirt that is on the logs right now while unfrozen isn't super bad on chains. I can sometimes get a tank burned before sharpening. With frozen mud, you won't get 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank before sharpening. But with the size of this wood, it make a LOT of firewood in a hurry. Once it gets frozen the only answer is the 395XP with 404 semi chisel chain. It is pretty unreal how much longer than holds an edge and even if it doesn't have a keen edge, it will still cut if you lean on it.

Reactions: 77cruiser

·
Registered
405 Posts
my tree that fell on a fence post . 20201101_143130.jpg 20201107_094134.jpg It was on the ground this morning , that just goes to prove walking away from a dangerous situation can sometimes be best .

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have been cutting and burning wood for about 50 years now too. I never had a meter, it is pretty easy to get a sense of whether the wood is ready to burn or not from feel. But about 10 years ago I started selling firewood, and found enough customers who wanted to see a meter reading that I bought one on Amazon for something around $10. I'd say this has very little chance of being considered a "good one". But it is consistent, and useful to measure the change of moisture content over time. So, if I get a 30% reading when I cut a dead Red Oak, it will read 30% + or - 2% for all readings on the log. And, after it is split and stacked, it will start reducing about 2% per month of dry weather down to about 16%.

So, while I cannot comment on whether this one reads the same as a $40 or $50 one might, it is useful for showing customers, and useful for measuring the seasoning process. That is all I really needed/wanted.

View attachment 2478578

I did get one of those Meters, pretty nice and easy to use. Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
The house that we bought this summer has a wood stove in the basement so I get to cut firewood after about a 20 year break. Since I’ve been out of the firewood and small engine business so long I have lost my contacts for getting wood to cut. I saw an ad on Facebook marketplace for a dump truck load of logs for a reasonable price so I had them drop off a load next to the driveway. I took a picture of the pile during a break. I didn’t think to take a picture of the split pile until after I had turned of the outdoor lights and locked the barn. I’ll get one when I get back to splitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
The house that we bought this summer has a wood stove in the basement so I get to cut firewood after about a 20 year break. Since I’ve been out of the firewood and small engine business so long I have lost my contacts for getting wood to cut. I saw an ad on Facebook marketplace for a dump truck load of logs for a reasonable price so I had them drop off a load next to the driveway. I took a picture of the pile during a break. I didn’t think to take a picture of the split pile until after I had turned of the outdoor lights and locked the barn. I’ll get one when I get back to splitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got to cut a little every year , so it has time to season , get years ahead , it will spider crack and turn gray i like cross stacking . I will be picking up sticks today and storing them in tubs for kindeling , if i run out i am in trouble for lighting , ive gone out in the woods and just found big branches that are down to cut and trees with no bark , going into a year with unseasoned wood could prove tough unless your set up to burn it .

3221 - 3240 of 3251 Posts