My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3007 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my videos of timber work scattered over half a dozen or more of these threads. This time I decided to start a thread, and add to it as I take more. Feel free to add your own pictures or video, this is not my thread, just one I started for sharing.

This morning I took down this 18" Red Oak that died last year. Still show sign of being green wood, and cut like it compared to the big, super hard, long dead Red Oak I usually cut. This one will likely need an extra season.

(I've come to realize most people aren't interested in a real-time, several minute video, so this is edited down to under a minute)

·
21,375 Posts
Good idea Jere! :thThumbsU

Good video as well. The tree fell down and went boom just like it was supposed to. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Great video Jere and nice job on hinge and placement!. I don't mind the longer videos at all. :thThumbsU

Thanks for sharing. I don't know the first thing about linking up a video so I will only be able to add pictures whenever I finally cut anything again.
:dunno: when that'll be.

Oh, Your Dolmar sounds excellent!

MU

·
close enuff works for me
2,924 Posts
Nice video,,,and you are right, any video that is more than one minute ,,gets turned off,,,,,,,unless it is really interesting,,,and few are:fing32:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great video, I enjoyed it. I have a Sachs Dolmar 116 chainsaw that I have had for years, I think since the 1980's. Well made saws.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jacked and ready to split

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1416672104.380173.jpg

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Just want to add to everyone else reading to always think safety. The tree may not fall where it should or parts may break off. Also with the chainsaw taking a bit out of you. Had a distant (fathers cousin) die last year doing this.

Nice work though. Took a birch down month ago for my neighbor. And before that a 1/2 fallen tree. I had to cut branches on another pine tree to get it the rest of the way down. It was around 2 foot thick and didn't feel I wanted my young kids around when it let go on its own. Sorry-no video's/pictures.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished up splitting and stacking the tree I dropped in post one on this thread.

Scout and I still need a little practice on our selfies, or the briar could have the common courtesy to bend out of the way.

Got just right at a cord our of the tree. Nice to have it finished before the forecast snow tomorrow, and the trip north after Turkey Day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Absolutely beautiful piles Jere. You and Scout should be proud!
Red Oak is such nice wood to process! :thThumbsU
You split it all by hand? Or some splitter help too?
Thanks for sharing.

MU

·
(secretly hates to mow)
13 Posts
Finished up splitting and stacking the tree I dropped in post one on this thread.
Greetings from a just-north-of-you neighbor (Berks County) who used to live in North Coventry township. Nice looking stack! We use that same method to keep the ends in place.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mun, every last split done with the x27. The previous tree which was bigger (about 30" diameter), I used an older maul to halve the rounds in place because I couldn't lift them, and it is no great catastrophe if one gives up easily and the maul continues into this rocky soil here on the hill top.

WDB, I am guessing your lawn is white by now, mine is here. Hope you have a toasty warm place picked out for a great Berks County Thanksgiving feast. From my Norco hilltop I can see across the river into Berks and Montgomery counties. Norco is pretty much ignored by the rest of Chester County. Ok by me, the fewer gov't and municiple agencies tracking me, the better.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Took the sears GT18 out and hauled in a few cedar round's to split up for Shop heat. I have a pile of slab wood from our sawmill that needs to be cut up. I'll probably use the Ford 9N w/cord wood saw for that job.

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I helped bring this white oak down around 44 or 45 years ago the most dangerous tree I ever worked on. After cutting down the limbs supported the tree about 10’ off the ground.
Thanks for sharing. Wish I had pictures of any of my 50 year old firewood cutting action.

1 - 20 of 3007 Posts