My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, started blazing the trail into the woods, down in the valley. We went through the first batch of wood that was left at the house by previous owners - and if we want anymore, I'm gonna have to make a path into the valley to saw and haul it. Property has a steep dropoff past the house, but there's a nice flat shelf past the hill. Found the spot with the least grade to it and started cutting down saplings, briers, and multiflora thorn bushes. Not fun. Best part was gettin the 2186 in there to haul firewood out. Found a small deposit of it about 50ft into the trail.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Nice pics and I see you have your helper along! I rember when my daughter Jessica was around that age! The 2186 is doing a fine job hauling wood. I sure can bring more wood to the truck with that set up!:thanku:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great pics and helper. They grow up quick. slkpk

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they do grow up quick, don't they. It's cliche but it's true. I wish she'd stay 4 years old forever....

We have a lot of fun on the Cub together. She helps me wrench, too. Her favorite thing to do is check and adjust tire pressure.

We've been having fun together hauling firewood - she enjoys throwing the logs into the cart :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That reminded me of the good old days when our 586 hauled an improvised wood wagon made with the front end of a Chevy van...and the kids rode on the tractor, wagon and tongue.

...as an aside. The large 14" tires made hauling bigger loads so much easier over the wet lands.

In '92 the worm turned for us. Now we drag the log out of the woods right to it final resting pace and process it.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**(....Justin googles 'the worm turns' phrase - don't laugh!)**

Ok, got it. Don't know why I've never heard that before...

Anyway,

So what happened in 92? :)

I remember riding around on my Dad's Speedex tractor to haul wood and primarily coal to the house - it was from these fond memories etched into my mind that I got back into tractors this year, and thus let a little bit of the kid come back in me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We picked up a B1750 Kubota and used that to drag the cut trees out of the woods into a clearing instead of processing 'em where they fell.

After that the wood wagon was only used rarely. Mostly ceremoniously to haul my father and brother through the swamp while we all drank beer for Vets day. The wagon had 50" sides to it.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet that was infinitely easier than hauling from the woods. Its funny how things change when you get older - the activities you once saw as fun become "chores" and the activities you once saw as "chores" become fun :)

I'm currently blazing a trail about 7-10ft for several hundred yards through saplings, brush, etc - just to make a path for the Cub. Its slow going, and I hope that at the end of it all the 2186 will be able to make the climbs loaded with wood. It seemed to do well starting from a dead stop in the middle of the incline, so...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well now that I'm many years ahead on firewood and the pressure is off I can say I still enjoy it.

But there many added difficulties cutting up firewood where the tree falls ...even a walk around the tree isn't simple. That is compared to pulling it out to a cleared mowed area to cut up.

We went through our share of those smaller trailers. It's when it got wet and the tire sunk further into the ground that the hauling got tough. Lets us know how those Ag tires preform out at that task.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I definitely will let you know - I've been playing around with tire pressures to figure out what gives the best traction - luckily I have tubes installed in the rear so I can have them aired down without losing the bead seal. Unfortunately, they are only a 2ply tire so that's part of the reason why I'm blazing the trail so thoroughly.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little update:

Have made quite a few runs down the hill and back on up with various loads of wood - finally got my tires dialed in, too. Power Trac Ags = Sweet. Just need a tad more weight.

Here's a few pics of the first time my daughter and I have been outside in over a week - she and I, along with my wife, were all horribly sick last week. Felt good to fire up the 2186 and get some firewood hauled up to the house. Found a real heavy red oak - that makes some real serious heat! Got to spend a few hours outside yesterday, went back to work today.

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Justin, looks like you have a good setup there between tractor, trailer, and helper. You haven't mentioned what saw/saws you use.

I won't post pictures of the 3225 moving wood yesterday. Setup is too hillbilly for me, but it works. But I did finally get a chance to try out the new saw I bought for this job... long story, but anyway its a Stihl 441C-M that currently only has a 20" bar on it and a "green chain". Took off the 25" and yellow chain to get used to it and break it in. Wood cutting is somewhat new for me, but will be an ever growing piece since the in-laws are getting older and use it primarily for heat.

Just need an excuse to add a MS660 and either scut Cub or JD to the mix...

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
I'am cheating. This spring I will have a logtruck come drop me a pile of logs. Then I will get a bigger bar and chain for the Stihl Farm Boss. Maybe you can fall some that are a little green, and by the time winter rolls around, it should be seasoned to burn. There is an ag-tire chain, they might be pricey. Helpers are great to have! Good set-up!:fing32:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The setup works real well, only problem is when the ground gets sloppy, the loaded trailer and Cub make quick work of the topsoil and grass :) Still, it's better than using my truck to haul it around.

I'd love to have a Farm Boss. I had a junk Poulan that would cut well, but ultimately became more frustration than it was worth (Poulan = Pull'n). I had to borrow my neighbor's Stihl MS290-16. What a sweet machine. Tons of power, a great cut.

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
The setup works real well, only problem is when the ground gets sloppy, the loaded trailer and Cub make quick work of the topsoil and grass :) Still, it's better than using my truck to haul it around.

I'd love to have a Farm Boss. I had a junk Poulan that would cut well, but ultimately became more frustration than it was worth (Poulan = Pull'n). I had to borrow my neighbor's Stihl MS290-16. What a sweet machine. Tons of power, a great cut.
With just the 75# weights on the 3225, its done well with moving the wood but not tearing up the yard. I was a little worried about the narrow tires on the trailer wanting to "cut" into the soft stuff, but they really didn't. Less work for me next spring!

Bought my first saw, a MS250 last spring. Used it quite a bit, been a great little saw. Neighbor decides he was going to take down a large ash (I think) out in front of his house. He got real mad after about 15 minutes of trying to get his "Pull'n" to start. I offered the 250 for him to use. He actually became a bit more irritated when it started on the first pull after the cold prime. Continued to start first pull the rest of the day. Of course, I didn't let him use his gas in it. My saws only get 93 octane Shell and Stihl Ultra synthetic oil, or the Stihl premix stuff you can buy now. After use, the tanks emptied and carb is run dry.

Being 33, I figure taking care of them, they should last 30 to 40 years. They better, its a long term investment!

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
During the wet season you might not get as big of a load than during the dry season. But the set up with the yellow cart works too! Out in the woods, I'll use the 71 and cart to fetch wood where the F 100 wont go!

We have alot of firewood around my parts. A cord is going for 55-60$ now. Also I will have about 3 years worth of fire wood ready, and not mess around every winter like I have been.

Justin, here is an idea: If you want more weight, go buy some cheep iron weights. Like 4-6 20 pounders and bolt those to your rims! Of course, paint them Cub Cadet Yellow first! Seen the idea from a fellow MTF member who runs a real nice Wheelhorse.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Do they make iron weights that have holes in them that I could use to fasten them to my wheels? Looks like the barbell disc weights have one large center holes, that's all.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Do they make iron weights that have holes in them that I could use to fasten them to my wheels? Looks like the barbell disc weights have one large center holes, that's all.
I believe you would match-drill 2 holes in the bar bell weights. Then another cheep good idea I seen on MTF was like the piece that you see the guys running the plastic weights, which is the mount for those only using the center hole of the weight. I believe you bolt it to the rim using the lug blots. A 4 lug rim seems ideal. Just offering ideas!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw a thread bout how to use barbell weights by fabricating a mount that bolts onto the weight holes in the rim, it doesn't look too difficult :) Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts