My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this for 5 bucks when I went to pick up a snapper from a guy. The engine is missing, but that is there, though rusty, is quite solid. The steering handlebar needs to be welded, but no big thing there. The belt/chain drive transaxel thing seems to be in good shape. Alot of rust, but no rust through. There is a faint remnant of a decal on the nose right in front of the steering shaft that says "Firestone Deluxe" and there is a Firestone Trie and Rubber Company tag with "Stock No. 8D447" and "Code No. 422-7-334"

SOOOOOOOOO, what is it, and what sort of engine went on it?? Anyone have any info on her?? I just could not let it go to the scrapyard.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
The seat is worth more than $5! I'm not sure the tractor is worth restoring though. Even in mint unused condition it probably isn't worth much. Ed

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat is worth more than $5! I'm not sure the tractor is worth restoring though. Even in mint unused condition it probably isn't worth much. Ed
Yeah, but if I restored it it would be purely for my own pleasure, and the tiny little thing looks cool parked in my shop with the rest of my gang. I guess alot depends on if I can find out what motor came on it, and find one. The rest all works, just needs cleanup and painting.

·
Registered
755 Posts
There were many manufacturers that built mini riders like these. I have two Rugg Carpet Cuts, but there were also Mustang's, Pinto's and a variety of others. The Rugg's run 4-5 hp Briggs vertical shafts and usually have a Peerless three speed trans.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I agree restore it for your own satisfaction, don't worry about what it is worth

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Yep, you have to follow your heart. If you have fun restoring it, that is really all that matters. Some people play golf, some people fish, everybody has to have a hobby! Like I said the seat was worth the $5 so you made a good buy wether you restore it or not! Good luck, ED

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
ive got 2 little old 60's model craftsman mowers that are that size, and similar design, they run a 6 or 7hp Tecumseh on the big one and my littlest one has a 4hp tecumseh on it....Fun little toys!!! I call them go karts!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had one of these when I was just a wee little kid! My dad bought it to mow at his cabin, and all was great till he hit a rock and broke the crankshaft. The shaft still held the drive pulley, but the blade broke clean off. He wasn't mechanically inclined enough to be able to replace the crankshaft, so he parked it in the shed, and when I got old enough, he gave it to me to putt around the yard with. A really slow go-kart.

Eventually dad bought a pull-behind lawn sweeper, and we welded on a little tab of metal to the rear frame to make a hitch so I could follow him around the lawn sweeping up the clippings.

The one I had was repainted red, and the handlebars were different. Mine looked more like football goal posts. Sort of a squared off "Y" shape, if you will. One day in bright sunlight I could see the "Firestone" logo showing thru the faded red paint, and closer inspection found it to be originally a bronze-copper color.

The pedal was for drive... Step on it and go. No brake. There was a selector for forward and reverse, but mine didn't work in reverse.

It had a 4 HP Lauson (Tecumseh) engine, and ran really well. From what my memory affords me, I'd guess it to be very early 1960s vintage, based on the shape of the recoil housing, and shroud.
The exhaust was concealed by the automotive-esque "hood", but made its way out the front "grille" eventually. I remember distinctly the muffler looking sort of like a rounded megaphone with a bunch of little holes in the wide end.

You more or less straddled the engine as it was mid mounted.

Yours is somewhat different in that it has no real "hood" to it. Mine had almost a car-like nose with a grille, but the engine sat behind it. The handlebars jutted up straight vertical thru a hole in the "hood".

Eventually I got bored with it, and we ended up hauling it to the junkyard.

In retrospect, I should have kept it and restored it, but I'd have never guessed it to be something that would some day be collectible.

Next time I go visit my parents, I'll see if I can dig out a pic or two from the photo albums, and scan/post them here.

Ahh, memories... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts