My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I get home from work in my 2012 new car and as I'm pulling into the garage I see smoke and start to smell it coming into the car. I hit reverse back out 50 feet or so kill the motor and run to the nearest thing I could for quick water my fridge and 2 gallon tea pitcher. All the while telling the wife who is already at home get me water to the garage NOW.

Open the hood and had a fairly large fire going put itt out with about 10 gallons and found the remains of a mouse nest. This is a New car I have never even opened the hood which took me a bit to figure out how to open. Thankfully I wasn't out on the open road 20 or more miles from home so I could do something about it. But a lesson was learned, check those engines before leaving everyday and check those tractors just the same.

Mice must be looking for warmth this time of year, so check those engines out both cars and tractors guys. I'm ok as I used to be a firefighter so I knew what to do and I'm still checking the thing every 10 minutes or less. The insurance man has been called, nothing left to do but come into the Deere forum and try to forget what has been a long day at work and now home.

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
Thankfully mouse nests are a rare occurrence down here.

Hopefully its not too bad, I had a small engine fire while making a repair once, small fuel leak and a wire sparked...poof. Scared me pretty bad.

·
new nut but loving it
1,595 Posts
Sounds like you have had quite the day... the good Lord blessed you with the wisdom and location to act on this. :fing32:

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Sounds like you have had quite the day... the good Lord blessed you with the wisdom and location to act on this. :fing32:
:ditto::ditto: Sorry for your troubles MM!:fing32:

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts
maybe you should get MightyMouse a KATT :sorry1: :biglaugh: :hatsoff:

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,550 Posts
Sorry to hear that... At least they chose to nest in the car instead of bugging Mouse??? Sucks either way, but glad that it turned out ok.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have found mice nests in the glove box of my van, and acorns between the outter and innermost sheet metal layers of the hood. Who would have thought.

Glad your ok.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Quick action Warren, good job. Do you have any damage to wires, hoses, etc?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Years ago we became an unofficial cat shelter when we put a little extra food out for a couple "country dump-off cats" that would come to eat with ours. They celebrated with big orgys and lots of multiplying, and by inviting their friends in. We generally have 20 or more cats roaming the farm these days, and go thru one of those large bags of dry cat food per week.

The good news is, I haven't seen a mouse in 20 years! :D

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Sorry to hear of the fire but glad you weren't hurt. How much damage did it do? Did it get into any of the wiring? slkpk

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! Yup there is a bunch of sensors and wiring melted, battery shields and whatever that material is under the hood it's not what I would call fire proof it's toast now. Not much to do other then wait for them to get a tow truck and get it fixed now. :crybaby:

Me I'm gonna have some coffee and go work and play with the Tractor. :trink39::trink39:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,103 Posts
I put a small, commercial fire extinguisher in my garage about 20 years ago. The service at my church offered them at a very reasonable price to anyone who wanted one. I make a mental note to check the pressure every fall when I rotate tractor equipment. I don't know about you guys, but all manner of flamable and imflamables are stored in my garage. Fortunately, I've never actually pulled this one down and "fired" it for real. I think it is cheap insurance. I also think there are several types of fire that a pitcher of water would not be the right thing to throw.

Good luck with your insurance claims, and with the ultimate repair and return to "good as new" on the car.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
I put a small, commercial fire extinguisher in my garage about 20 years ago..
I have a fire story to share. Years ago, I had an alternator fire on my truck. I was on my way home from working the night shift, and all of a sudden, I heard a bang! The battery light came on and I could smell things burning. My plan was to keep driving in the direction of a fire house that i knew of on my route. I pulled in the front drive of the fire house, shut the motor off, jumped out and popped the hood. The alternator was glowing red and a small fire had just started. I ran to the double glass station doors and started to knock and pound on them. After about a minute, an older gentleman, looking like he just woke, comes to the door and yells "what do ya need?" I said "my truck is on fire." I think he was still asleep. He says "ok" and walks away. Moments later, the first overhead door rises up, revealing a fleet of rather calm fire fighters. They walk out to my truck, look under the hood, and i hear one say, "yep!" A guy walks back into the station bay and returns with an old nickle plated water extinguisher in his hand. He gives the fire a quick squirt, or three and the fire was out. The sound of hot steam and boiling water was the last thing I remembered hearing. I felt rather embarrassed after this happened. I remember thinking how i could have put this out if only i had a left over thing of bottled water laying in my truck.

I now keep a small personal watercraft extinguisher in my trunk, just in case such a thing should ever happen again... :00000061:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good advise and I usually have an extinguisher handy too but I just got this car and hadn't thought about that. Lesson learned and I knew better then that too. Sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way I guess.

Been over to the farm playing with tractors and it took my mind off of it as we walked around seeing what kind of chores could be done with fun involved. Time for a sandwich and back to the farm shortly, Thanks for the kind words,wishes and Very good advise. Just thought I should pass my experience along as tractors usually sit for awhile and I hate the thought of a Deere getting torched. :trink39::trink39::trink39:

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
Guys, if you extinguishers are over 10 years old...do not trust them.

We used to have one in the house years ago, it was about 12 years old, we dicided to replace it one day and took it out to release it...pulled pin..squeezed...NOTHING, NOT A THING CAME OUT.

Ive had one in my shop for a while its about 10 years old, I had a pretty bad paint can fire about 3 years ago, i got burned pretty bad, the shop was on fire..I grabbed the extinguisher (needle was in the middle of the Green), pulled pin, squeazed...Nothing, needle blipped to "empty"...

If its over 10 years old, take it to a fire dept for disposal and get a new one....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.