My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a used 4' King Kutter finishing mower for my Kubota BX2360, and have a question about the mower's "floating" 3PH.

The lower link pins are pivoted so the deck can move up and down as the mower moves over uneven terrain. That's fine -- I understand how that works.

But once the lower link on the tractor has been pushed up, doesn't it stay there? Do I have to continually hold the control lever in the "down" position to keep the mower in contact with the ground? That would be a pain. I'd like to be able to control the height of the mower with its four wheels, and not touch the 3PH control while mowing.

What's the story on a floating 3PH?

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm.... Maybe I figured it out by looking closer at the photo of the finishing mower.

When I lower the mower to the ground, it is "hanging" by its lower-link arms, which tilting upward as high as they can tilt. If the terrain pushes the mower upward, the only 3PH components that move are those two little arms and the tractor top link. The tractor's lower link arms don't move, so they are not pushed upward at all.

Do I have this figured out?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Your Kubota's 3PH should have the ability to do a little floating of it's own and return to the down position on it's own. That's how my JD works. The lift arms can be pushed into the "up" position but without the control lever in the up position to direct fluid to keep them there, they will return to the down position.

I have the 60" version of that same mower and really like it. Two words of advice though. First, keep the spindles well greased with a high temp grease. Second, be careful how far down you allow the 3PH to go. I let mine down too far once and the top of the frame of that floating 3PH mechanism on the mower, right under the top link, came down too far and came in contact with the PTO shaft. It cut the plastic guard on the PTO shaft.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Hmmm.... Maybe I figured it out by looking closer at the photo of the finishing mower.

When I lower the mower to the ground, it is "hanging" by its lower-link arms, which tilting upward as high as they can tilt. If the terrain pushes the mower upward, the only 3PH components that move are those two little arms and the tractor top link. The tractor's lower link arms don't move, so they are not pushed upward at all.

Do I have this figured out?
Yes. There is no down pressure on the 3PH. So you can always lift it up easily. And after letting go it will drop right back down (by gravity) to where you set it originally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts