My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bit of progress. The cabinet itself is pretty much finished.

cellar1.jpeg

One of my favorite things to squirrel away is old horseshoes. Cut them in half, they make great hangers. I've used them for braces, legs, drawer pulls, etc.. In this case, a simple set of door handles. Cut in half and welded threaded spacers to the back. I usually just wire wheel them and clear them.

cellar2.jpeg

I put that used old molding on the sides for some depth. Would have liked to use some worn hinges, but the only thing I had in stock that was the right size was these solid brass ones.

cellar3.jpeg

The top was one I twisted over. I had some granite 12" x 12" tile in stock, but the colors weren't something I(or my wife) could live with. Had plenty of old barn beams I could've milled down. Eventually, we trekked over to a local granite graveyard that specializes in remnants. Pretty cool place. It's thousands of pieces strewn over a acre or so. If you find one to your liking you take a pic and show the owner. We found this piece and both loved it. The darker streaks are actually a beautiful green that matched the doors. And the two spots really look like the granite had "rusted" at some point. Home run. They cut it to size and buffed it for a 100 bucks. There went my zero cost factor :tango_face_crying:

cellar4.jpeg

cellar5.jpeg

On to the ladies! First step, I shortened them by about three inches. Very hard wood, I recognized the smell.........black walnut.

cellar6.jpeg

·
16,279 Posts
Wow oh wowe !! Just ran across this thread as I was browsing the new forum line up or mis -match or whatever.

Love your ingenuity, Ellis. Every piece has a back story and that's half the fun./..
Read me--dude?
glenn

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
I also just found this thread. don't know how I missed it all this time. Nice work Ellis but I've come to expect nothing less from you.

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow oh wowe !! Just ran across this thread as I was browsing the new forum line up or mis -match or whatever.

Love your ingenuity, Ellis. Every piece has a back story and that's half the fun./..
Read me--dude?
glenn
I also just found this thread. don't know how I missed it all this time. Nice work Ellis but I've come to expect nothing less from you.
Thanks guys! Glad you found it.

·
Parts collector
2,959 Posts
:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Nice work Ellis, making good use of bits and pieces.

CCMoe

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
More work on the liquor cabinet.

Since the molding was around 4", and on brick, I added a nailing cleat first. Just some scrap 3/4" plywood.
cellar1.jpg

I chose this really old oak crown molding. I've had three 6' pieces squirreled away for decades. No big story on them. A fellow woodchuck was moving and asked if I was interested in any wood before he left. These were stripped by him and had been put up with cut nails and painted. A light sanding, three hand rubbed coats of oil and it glistened.
cellar2.jpg cellar3.jpg

The shelf plank below was out of a long closed general store in Exmore, Virginia. There were about ten stock shelves at 12" x 12'. Looks like Southern Yellow Pine to me. Hard and straight. Oil finished it also. The molding is some pieces I had left over from the cabinet sides.
cellar4.jpg

Going to put a half dozen rock glasses on the shelf and an antique mirror on the brick face. Done deal. Total cost was $110, of which $100 was for the granite.
cellar5.jpg cellar6.jpg

·
10,357 Posts
You know what? You’ve really got an eye for this stuff, that turned out fantastic! You could make a living doing that.

Ya know, if your other job.....

wait

aren’t you retired? Never mind.

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You know what? You’ve really got an eye for this stuff, that turned out fantastic! You could make a living doing that.

Ya know, if your other job.....

wait

aren’t you retired? Never mind.
Thanks Scott! I went to college for industrial arts education......didn't work out. But I still enjoy working with wood, especially salvaged stuff.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts