Bit of progress. The cabinet itself is pretty much finished.
One of my favorite things to squirrel away is old horseshoes. Cut them in half, they make great hangers. I've used them for braces, legs, drawer pulls, etc.. In this case, a simple set of door handles. Cut in half and welded threaded spacers to the back. I usually just wire wheel them and clear them.
I put that used old molding on the sides for some depth. Would have liked to use some worn hinges, but the only thing I had in stock that was the right size was these solid brass ones.
The top was one I twisted over. I had some granite 12" x 12" tile in stock, but the colors weren't something I(or my wife) could live with. Had plenty of old barn beams I could've milled down. Eventually, we trekked over to a local granite graveyard that specializes in remnants. Pretty cool place. It's thousands of pieces strewn over a acre or so. If you find one to your liking you take a pic and show the owner. We found this piece and both loved it. The darker streaks are actually a beautiful green that matched the doors. And the two spots really look like the granite had "rusted" at some point. Home run. They cut it to size and buffed it for a 100 bucks. There went my zero cost factor :tango_face_crying:
On to the ladies! First step, I shortened them by about three inches. Very hard wood, I recognized the smell.........black walnut.
Since the molding was around 4", and on brick, I added a nailing cleat first. Just some scrap 3/4" plywood.
I chose this really old oak crown molding. I've had three 6' pieces squirreled away for decades. No big story on them. A fellow woodchuck was moving and asked if I was interested in any wood before he left. These were stripped by him and had been put up with cut nails and painted. A light sanding, three hand rubbed coats of oil and it glistened.
The shelf plank below was out of a long closed general store in Exmore, Virginia. There were about ten stock shelves at 12" x 12'. Looks like Southern Yellow Pine to me. Hard and straight. Oil finished it also. The molding is some pieces I had left over from the cabinet sides.
Going to put a half dozen rock glasses on the shelf and an antique mirror on the brick face. Done deal. Total cost was $110, of which $100 was for the granite.
I've been doing dirtwork with my Cub 3240 and bucket. Stopped to grill for lunch. Chuckeyes, burgs and dogs. Medium for me(up top after being on the bottom for a bit) well done for her.
That's what I'm up to. What are you doing today?
I have a creek crossing that I used two loads of railroad ballast. OK at first, water flowing through the stones but they fill will leaves and silt, so I buried a 6" & 3" PVC pipe. OK except we've had lots of rain recently which they couldn't handle.
I have this 3ft. X 13ft. Galvanized...
I guess I needed a new starting point too with the new place and all, so here it is. Too HOT to do anything right now, and dodging welcomed rain storms. I was able to load the last of the bricks and old steps up using BOH and the calico trailer. Craftsman's are under the pergola for the night...
I hesitate to start this post of a project that I've postponed for too long - most especially because I know you folks like to see progress reports and you like them frequently. Well, I'm not working at that pace any longer, so you'll have to take them when I get to them.
First my loosely...
Helped my son-in-law install the high sensors, cameras, and LED flood lights today. He doesn't do ladders:
The install was extremely easy (well, there was already a motion sensor flood fixture there, so I was just replacing it). BTW, I could get you a great deal on a motion detector flood...