My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started finishing my basement last year. I have a 1927 farmhouse. My mother grew up across the street. She often told me the story how she saw her dad(my grandpa that I never met) dig the cellar/foundation hole with two horses and a drag bucket. It had a height of a little over 7' at the bottom of the joists and was supported by twin rough cut 2" x 8" girders which were supported by locust posts that were cut on site. I have a hot water heat system and the old black pipe supply line(up to 4") hung below the joints. At 6'2" I hit my head too many times to be funny.

So, last summer(2018) I removed all the black pipe and installed copper and pex. This system was installed WITHIN the joists. Next the old girders and posts were removed and I installed 6 x 6 steel I-beams, put in some bearing walls and one steel post in the middle. That gave me the canvas to have a functional room.

We now have a full bath also, with washer and dryer included. As always I tried to use materials and supplies that I had in stock. It's pretty much finished now. The walls are finished with 1840 barn wood from Canada. I got it after the homeowner that bought it had it installed and didn't like it. It was removed and replaced. Lucky me.

So now for me...........the fun begins. Filling it with cool stuff and turning into another man cave.

I got this 40's penny scale in Pennsylvania over the summer. It didn't work, so I got it for cheap. It weighs you and tells your fortune. It's heavy cast, porcelain and brass. I saw something beautiful in it.

Not only didn't it work, it needed a good cleaning. We used a vinegar solution and elbow grease.

scale1.jpg scale2.jpg

After some surface cleaning I pulled the mechanism out to see if it could be fixed. What I discovered was what amounted to a ratchet gear had fallen off a light flywheel that had the fortunes printed on it. I drilled the old peened rivets out and put some heavier pop rivets in.

scale3.jpg scale4.jpg

Re-assembled and then buffed it up with a polishing compound. I like the look and folks love tossing a penny in it.

scale5.jpg scale6.jpg

Got a few more pics on the way here and there.

·
We're all friends here
13,986 Posts
Nice job on the scale, Ellis, and from the sound of it, the basement too. :thThumbsU

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,947 Posts
Nice work, Ellis. So that's why there's been no update on the doodlebug.
I like the look of the barnwood.

·
3,329 Posts
People from other parts of the country may not be aware of the history of the East End of LI or how beautiful the architecture is out there...I remember all the potato farms and the trucks that were all over with the cargo area made of wood for transporting the spuds...if you have lived out there all of your life you have seen some drastic changes...the basement looks like it came out very nice, and I really appreciate what you did with the scale.....would love to see pictures of the house...from 1927 it has to have beautiful lines...any farm left around you?

·
Parts collector
3,125 Posts
Awesome work! :thThumbsU

Now you need to find a place to print out the fortunes. :tango_face_wink:

waiting for more pics of the basement.........

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job on the scale, Ellis, and from the sound of it, the basement too. :thThumbsU
Nice work, Ellis. So that's why there's been no update on the doodlebug.
I like the look of the barnwood.
Sounds like a lot of work into the house and elbow grease on the scale, but the result is amazing so well worth it!
Thanks guys!

Is the scale accurate? What did it tell you, Ellis?
Unfortunately, quite accurate Scott............248.

People from other parts of the country may not be aware of the history of the East End of LI or how beautiful the architecture is out there...I remember all the potato farms and the trucks that were all over with the cargo area made of wood for transporting the spuds...if you have lived out there all of your life you have seen some drastic changes...the basement looks like it came out very nice, and I really appreciate what you did with the scale.....would love to see pictures of the house...from 1927 it has to have beautiful lines...any farm left around you?
My family has been on this same dirt since 1790. I have three houses on a cumulative 2-1/2 acres. At the turn of the 20th century my family owned the majority of the north end of town. I'm the last of the Mohicans. I've seen a LOT of change, more than I wish in most cases. But luckily my town has managed to hold onto a lot of small town charm.

I like the wood! Nice work, Ellis. You've taken a space and made it much more inviting and habitable.

:D
Awesome work! :thThumbsU

Now you need to find a place to print out the fortunes. :tango_face_wink:

waiting for more pics of the basement.........
Thanks, I appreciate it. Some more pics in the offing.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another project I recently finished up was the door leading to the outside stairs. I really wanted that barn vibe that the wood walls threw off. So, I went through my treasure chest(junk pile) looking for something that might give me an idea. In it I found two old, real old, sliding barn door carriers. The wheels were missing, but the U pieces were there. I would have to fabricate the wheels and the track. I weighed that against just using some old large hinges I had that would be a lot easier path. I went with wheel/track set up. I think in retrospect the measuring and the figuring was more complicated than the build. Anyhoo, here's a few pics.

This shows the whole setup. The track itself is welded up 1/4" steel. I had the old hot dip zinc lags and washers in stock. I was originally going to paint them in the same flat black as everything else, but when I mocked things up I liked the contrast better.

door2.jpg

This is a closeup of the carrier U I spoke of. These puppies got some age to them, and were used to the point of having lost metal on the upper rail. I milled them true on the Bridgeport.

door3.jpg

This is a crappy pic, but it shows the two old hand wrought strap hinge pieces I put on. Found them in an old carriage house recently. They are more decorative than anything, I just liked the look, but they do give the door a bit more stiffness.

door4.jpg

Closeup of a wheel. There are eight pieces involved here. The center hub is bronze. I turned it on the lathe and drilled/chamfered the holes to take a bit of weight off, and for looks. The two outer flanges are brass, also turned on the lathe. These pieces where pinned and peened together with four 1/8" brass pins. The center roller pin is 3/8" stainless. The result was a pretty heavy door that rolls either way at the gentle touch of a single finger. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy.

door5.jpg

·
We're all friends here
13,986 Posts
Not only does it look good, but it works perfectly. Nice job, Ellis. :fing02:

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,947 Posts
I'm not showing that door to the Mrs. She has been mentioning about changing some over to that type. I told her that we can't do it in our house.:tango_face_grin:
Looks beautiful.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not only does it look good, but it works perfectly. Nice job, Ellis. :fing02:
I'm not showing that door to the Mrs. She has been mentioning about changing some over to that type. I told her that we can't do it in our house.:tango_face_grin:
Looks beautiful.
Very creative and it certainly does what you set out to accomplish. :fing32: Great work, it looks great!
Thanks guys. I noodled on this one for a good bit. With those old barn wood walls, a hollow core or a steel entry wouldn't fit to me. Saved by the squirrel in me again, lol.

The next project should be a lot of fun.

·
Parts collector
3,125 Posts
very cool.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice job on everything, Ellis. I like the sliding barn door, has a look all it’s own.
very cool.
Thanks!

Here's a pic of one of the three steel 6 x 6 girders I installed, This also shows the strange joist pattern in my basement.......two different sizes :tango_face_surprise I chocked the narrower ones to make up the difference over the girder.

girder1.jpg

Here's a mock up roughly showing how some odds and ends I cobbled together are hopefully going to make a liquor cabinet. I'm basically a beer guy, but I do enjoy a Crown every now and again. The frame will be full size vintage 1-1/4" clear pine. The doors will be the old green shutters from a horse stable I've had tucked away for a good 15 years now. The two lady finials are from an old decorative sideboard. The piece was trashed but I salvaged the finials. And in the last pic is some old molding I'm going to incorporate. They'll be other elements involved, I just don't have it all noodled out yet, but this is enough to get the show on the road.

liqcab1.jpg

liqcab2.jpg

·
10,399 Posts
Make it portable! I had to move the coffee maker and the cocoa carafe, along with the Bailey’s, Captain, and all the schnapps to the entryway deacon’s bench tonight!

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Will the ladies be supporting the cabinet above them. In our family the sin cupboard (liquor cabinet) was always up high away from temptation (didn’t work).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts