My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this idea of building a custom Case GT when I was a young kid about 8 years old. I always liked the look of the 1984 Case Ag Tractors with the White sheet metal, black frame/engine, and orange (pwr red) wheels with black hubs.
My dream was to build a Case GT in this paint scheme while keeping it looking good enough that most would think it was a factory built GT. I also wanted to increase horse power while keeping it factory looking and dependable.

My base GT to start with was a 1984 Case 226 which has morphed into a 328.
3=300 series. 2=twin cylinders. 8=18hp (if you want to believe that.) ;)
I have many pictures, but I'll post a few to show that I rebuilt everything from bare frame up.
Several areas of the frame were strengthened and anything that had wear was replaced new or rebuilt.
The engine had very low hours and so I did some mods to it for increased power.
The rear end was completely rebuilt with new bushings, seals, and Grade 9 bolts and nuts on the differential gears.
The steering was rebuilt and a heavier duty tie rod ends were used and tie rods.
The front pivot was rebuilt. I welded sleeve collars on each side of the frame plate, I had the axle machined out and I pressed in high strength PTFE coated bearings and a machined shaft was fitted for a completely wobble free pivot. It's extremely strong and self lubricated. Although I did leave space in the center between the bearings for greasing.
I built a custom dual outlet exhaust and modified the hood accordingly.
The list goes on and on....

I plan on using this one so look for me at the show/plow day in Knapp, WI May 4, 2013.

Gentleman and Lady...:) I present to you my dream come true. 25 years later.

Before...
&
After...

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Sweet and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Lawnmower Collector
755 Posts
I had this idea of building a custom Case GT when I was a young kid about 8 years old. I always liked the look of the 1984 Case Ag Tractors with the White sheet metal, black frame/engine, and orange (pwr red) wheels with black hubs.
My dream was to build a Case GT in this paint scheme while keeping it looking good enough that most would think it was a factory built GT. I also wanted to increase horse power while keeping it factory looking and dependable.

My base GT to start with was a 1984 Case 226 which has morphed into a 328.
3=300 series. 2=twin cylinders. 8=18hp (if you want to believe that.) ;)
I have many pictures, but I'll post a few to show that I rebuilt everything from bare frame up.
Several areas of the frame were strengthened and anything that had wear was replaced new or rebuilt.
The engine had very low hours and so I did some mods to it for increased power.
The rear end was completely rebuilt with new bushings, seals, and Grade 9 bolts and nuts on the differential gears.
The steering was rebuilt and a heavier duty tie rod ends were used and tie rods.
The front pivot was rebuilt. I welded sleeve collars on each side of the frame plate, I had the axle machined out and I pressed in high strength PTFE coated bearings and a machined shaft was fitted for a completely wobble free pivot. It's extremely strong and self lubricated. Although I did leave space in the center between the bearings for greasing.
I built a custom dual outlet exhaust and modified the hood accordingly.
The list goes on and on....

I plan on using this one so look for me at the show/plow day in Knapp, WI May 4, 2013.

Gentleman and Lady...:) I present to you my dream come true. 25 years later.

Before...
&
After...
I love the colors! Amazing job you did! Congrats!

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
sweet.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love the paint scheme. Did you cut a opening on the other side of the hood for the exhaust also, looks like the mufler is a twin outlet.
I sure did! I modified the old muffler and a used a rusted out muffler for the parts. I modified it to have a two into one muffler and out two system. This type generally produces the most torque instead of two separate mufflers. It also kept it factory looking for the most part and has a nice powerful sound without being obnoxious.

See pics below of the process...

Attachments

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the kind words everyone.
It's good to know people can appreciate someone else's hard work even if it's not exactly what they would have done.

If anyone has questions let me know. I took a ton of pictures so if your curious about something... I probably have a picture to show what was done.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,894 Posts
That's a fine looking tractor :congrats:

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Thank you for the kind words everyone.
It's good to know people can appreciate someone else's hard work even if it's not exactly what they would have done.

If anyone has questions let me know. I took a ton of pictures so if your curious about something... I probably have a picture to show what was done.
Great Job! It is always great when you get to finally build or buy that dream you have been chasing for years :congrats:

I don't know a lot about Case's what engine does it have? and what all did you do to the engine?

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great Job! It is always great when you get to finally build or buy that dream you have been chasing for years :congrats:

I don't know a lot about Case's what engine does it have? and what all did you do to the engine?
Thank you...
It has an Onan engine from a 1986 Case/Ingersoll GT. I'm sure you can appreciate these engines as JD used them a lot in some of their best GT's.
The JD spec'd Onans had some parts that when used on a Case Spec'd engine really helped improve power, and mostly in the torque area.
If your familiar with who "Boomer" is (the used Onan engine parts guy and guru of everything Onan) I got advise from him on what to do and some of my own ideas and ran with it.

Mine is a mild build. It is a very low hour engine that ran flawlessly so I didn't want to go through the expense of rebuilding it.
I pulled the heads and surfaced them to bring up compression. I ported and lightly polished the intake and exhaust ports. I gasket and carb matched the intake so the hole on the intake was the same size as the hole in the bottom of the carb and on the gaskets. I polished the inside of the intake and smoothed the bends as best I could.
I used a New Nikki Carb with a larger Venturi and switched out the main jet to compliment my engine combo.
Lastly since this is still a points & condenser motor I put in all new ignition parts. I upgraded to a High Output Coil and gaped the plugs out farther to take advantage of the extra energy available to them.
I did some other things as well but that's a secret. :fing32:

I did some pretty tough product testing with it and it will easily out perform my 18 hp Onan in my Case 448.
I would love to know the actual numbers but its only speculation. So I'll just say from now on it's a 16 hp Onan and leave it at that. :fing32:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts