My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally most of us buy the piston rings specifying the make of the vehicle/engine, etc.

Not a problem when for current automovil engines less than 15 years old.

Now buying for old tractors and old "odd" engines we pay a very high price for those rings that are most liklely coming from the same after market manufactures.

Does anyone have succeded or have a suggestions on how to try to find rings utilizing just the "size" of the rings? In same cases even it may be possible to just "skim" the piston grooves in the lathe (I have the skill & the equip.) and/or just "file" the end gap when a very minor difference in diameter.

I have been asking at the auto parts and old time rebuilders, but I never got a reasonable lead yet.
It appears to me that it is needed a catalog from ring manufacturers.

Any takers on this?

thanks in advance, Wilson

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Piston Rings by the SIZE,...& engine pictures....

Try this site www.Hastingsmfg.com/RingFinderMaster.aspx .
Let us know how you make out checking it out.
Dave
Dave and SHD: Thanks, I browsed both and may be a solution. I am taking the engine down today and measuring. Then will search for the correct kit and compare with prices from other vendors.
Thanks a lot, Wilson

Here are some pictures of what I found taking the cylinder head off the engine:

·
Registered
392 Posts
YUK!! Is that a Case? Looks like my 148 ci from my 300B. I believe those are cylinder sleeves that can be pressed out. You check yesterdays tractor site?

http://www.ytmag.com/

That old iron is strong. It's amazing how well it holds up over the years. Some of my bolts turned out by fingers once I got them turned 1/2 a turn with a wrench.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I have seen "Numerical listing" catalogs for Sealed Power rings before,but I'm clueless as to where you could GET one of those catalogs,unless you have a O:D parts store with a dusty closet full of old ,rarely used catalogs..I guess I should have hoarded all I could carry when the stores I worked for went to computers and ditched most all the old catalogs!.--

I kept some parts look up ones,but we didn't get too many numerical listing ones that broke down what was in each package with sizes,etc..the wheel and bearing and seals ones were highly coveted,they wouldn't part with them..I got some carb kit catalogs with parts breakdown ,as to whats in a kit--Hygrade Jiffy Kits I think..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YUK!! Is that a Case? Looks like my 148 ci from my 300B. I believe those are cylinder sleeves that can be pressed out. You check yesterdays tractor site?

http://www.ytmag.com/

That old iron is strong. It's amazing how well it holds up over the years. Some of my bolts turned out by fingers once I got them turned 1/2 a turn with a wrench.
Wahooooo... Thanks...they have the piston & rings for $200 which is within my budget.
The Tractor is Massey-Haris GS 30. Built in 1949 and the farmer's daughter now 70 and not in good health sold them both for $250. They had been in the field probably for at least 15 years or more. Both the same model. I will fix one and give the other to one of my friends here in Ontario.
Thanks, Wilson

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen "Numerical listing" catalogs for Sealed Power rings before,but I'm clueless as to where you could GET one of those catalogs,unless you have a O:D parts store with a dusty closet full of old ,rarely used catalogs..I guess I should have hoarded all I could carry when the stores I worked for went to computers and ditched most all the old catalogs!.--

I kept some parts look up ones,but we didn't get too many numerical listing ones that broke down what was in each package with sizes,etc..the wheel and bearing and seals ones were highly coveted,they wouldn't part with them..I got some carb kit catalogs with parts breakdown ,as to whats in a kit--Hygrade Jiffy Kits I think..
Yes, I went thought the same when they got away with the labor estimates and parts price for the auto industry.
But I noticed that the engine rebuilding shops have printed manuals (they do not share them) and look up bearing and rings, etc when they are going to rebore or grind cranks & camshafts.
I still belive that must be a way to find rings of aprox. size and if needed I could grind OD & ID and recut the piston grooces to fit.
The one mentioned above supplies rings but is expensive compare to auto engine rings. I understand that they must charge more because of the low volume of sales and the handling of small quantities.
Will see, maybe someone comes up with the answer.
Thanks, Wilson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts