My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last season I bought a Husq to cut my new lawn, it only took one cutting to realize my yard tractor wasn't going to last long under the current condition of the grounds so I began looking for a used GT that needed work to handle fixing the lawn and save my Husq from certain death in a few seasons.

About a month ago I found my GT sitting behind a barn, it had cut grass 2 times and puked the number 1 rod on it's third outing, the owner went out and bought a Scag and didn't get it warrantied for some reason. popped the air filter cover on the old style ELS and the filter had been sucked into the DIRTY air intake.

GT $50, new engine made DAYS before the one on my HUSQ (same model number and 2 year warranty) $610, new battery $22, new muffler $40 for a total of $722 with a sleeve hitch.

the guy I got it from had taken the tires off and stored them inside to prevent dry rot. the rear tires in the first pic were something he put on it to keep it off the ground.

I was happy to see a little rubbing compound brought the hood back to life.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Nice score and a good move to save the YT. Most wait until a failure to realize this point.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Great job on saving another machine from rusting down.

It is truely amazing how lazy some people are. I guess he expected the machine to call in for warranty service and get itself fixed. If I had invested the kind of money into a new machine like that, I think I would find the time to have it fixed and not waste the money on another one.

Oh well, it worked out great for you. I guess people here in WV are just too resourceful for me to find deals like that. There's just not enough money around here to be wasted to find those deals.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Congratulations on that nice find! I agree with dj2cohen about how some take such poor care of things, but had it not been for them, you wouldn't be rolling in style.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice score on the GT! I had to buy mine, but it wasnt too bad at $270 as it came with a plow, bagger and aerator. It had 2 thrown rods in it. Being that I live in Connecticut where arrogant pricks are born, people throw excellent stuff out all the time and people like me (garbage pickers) make out well. I might have had to pay for my GT, but have found other things for free of value.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Well done,Commrad--Now,where's these barns you been looking behind??:trink40:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well done,Commrad--Now,where's these barns you been looking behind??:trink40:
The barn was in Toccoa, I'm a cop and was talking to a guy at the court house one day about what I was looking for and he said he had one, come by and look at it, so I brought it home.:trink39:

all the guys I work with have been making fun of me for buying it to save my new mower but they are also the ones complaining about theirs falling apart and asking me where they can find a deal on one. :fam32:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Looks good. slkpk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW I'm not a cop in Toccoa, that's just where the GT was

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oooops, just had to change my signature, I thought this was an 03 model, I read the serial number wrong, it's an 05. Just installed the hour meter and let it catch up" to the correct run time so I don't have to keep a time log.

I have no idea why they didn't come with one in the first place.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3.6 hours, I'm loving the GT.

did some tilling of a really bad washed out spot beside the pasture, bought some new blades and used it to cut the yard, spray the pasture, man do those bigger tires make for a smoother ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Great find Commrad. What did you pay for the tiller $5.?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like it and it does pretty good considering that all I have is HARD packed red clay. I have to ride the clutch and mover slower than low 1 at idle speed but once it gets started it's tough and does a really good job.

I had gotten it to till, smooth and replant my yard but I think a bottom plow and a disk is going to be more what I need at this point to get it started.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good job! I have an '05 just like it. If you're that handy I sure wish you lived closer. I could use the help on a lot of stuff. :)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
$50.00 eh? Hey I thought it was against the law to steal - and your a cop! :ROF

Glad to see it put back into service as opposed to just sitting there and wasting away. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah $50, too bad I couldn't find a killer deal on the engine.

I just scored a new in the box hydro gear 3000 for $100 that will go into the Husq eventually, or it may just go on a shelf in the shop for the day when my dads (or my) K46 lays down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts