My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had planned on getting to this project a long time ago.After fixing the wires the mice had eaten.I was ready to try starting it.As I had noticed before someone had put an electric fuel pump on it.When it would whurl over it seemed to be putting way to much gas into it.Then when I would let off the key it would shoot a little more in though the the little tube that protudes into the bore.I tore down the carb to see if the floot was sunk or the needle was stuck open,but neither seemed to be the case.Also while taking it apart I found out why they had put on an electric pump.The reeds in the pump plate were totally gone.
Question 1 is should I rebuild the carb and stay with the electric or rebuild carb & pump and get rid of the electric.
Question 2 is what should I exspect to pay for a kit?
Also I don't really know how long this has set but I run a compression test and got about 90 psi on both sides is that a good # or is that low?
Oh did I mention this is my first run in with an Onan.
Terry T

·
Registered
670 Posts
The carb rebuild kit includes all of the parts to rebuild your fuel pump. Order the kit and go from there.

I have an electric 2-3psi pump on mine that's never given me any trouble. What kind of psi is your pump putting out?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not check its psi but it appeared to be over riding the needle valve.
It looked like an automotive pump.I'm not sure how much they put out.
I was wondering if the old vaccum type on the carb worked well.I guess a complete kit would put it back to factory.
Thanks,

·
Registered
670 Posts
The pump on mine is maybe the 1/3 the size of a 12oz soda can. It's self regulated as well so it doesn't try and force fuel in where it doesn't want to go.

Walk into Napa and tell them you want a small 12volt fuel pump if you're looking to go that route.

If you just want to try the vacuum pump you'll be able to rebuild it with the parts in the carb kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts