My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lift Arm Sway Chains...I have tied them up, pinned them up, I have dragged them for miles....HOW DO I USE THEM CORRECTLY? I have seen others with them but they seem loose, How tight should they be? How do you know you have them hooked up correctly?

·
Still plays with tractors
2,290 Posts
I've never really put much thought into them myself to be honest. I've never found the hitch to sway all that much. You'll have a little play in them as it's practically impossible to get both of them perfectly tight. Center the hitch, pull each chain as tight as you can and pin it with something that won't slip off. As long as they keep the hitch from hitting the tire, I think you're good.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Jeff...I didn't see them as that important. Lift arms don't seem to sway much with or without a drawbar...However, maybe I'm asking the wrong question...our power kings have lift arms and lift arm assemblies? and sway chains...I have noticed that when plowing with a moldboard bottom plow/plough the lift arms do move more that I would like and now with a blower on back of the PK I'm concerned with pushing snow in say 2 or 3 rd gear the blower may take a swaying. Large tractors have another sway reduction measure don't they? Looking for link to explain.

I've never really put much thought into them myself to be honest. I've never found the hitch to sway all that much. You'll have a little play in them as it's practically impossible to get both of them perfectly tight. Center the hitch, pull each chain as tight as you can and pin it with something that won't slip off. As long as they keep the hitch from hitting the tire, I think you're good.

·
2,290 Posts
Every three point hitch has (or should have) something to hold down the sway. Maybe the smaller ones don't, I don't know. The PK's anti-sway system is not the best but it is adequate. If your plow is making your hitch sway to one side, then (as I have been told) your plow is not adjusted correctly. I always hear from the old timers (dad being one) that if your plow is properly adjusted, there's no need for anti-sway devices, it'll just follow you down the feild. I saw evidence of this at the first plow day I participated in last month. There was a guy with a John Deere who had his plow dialed in. He was plowing with no hands and even got off the tractor and walked along side for a while. Show off. I fought mine all day. This is why plowing is an art. As far as the blower is concerned, I think if you make the chains as tight as you can, you'll be fine. You'll have a little back and forth but it shouldn't hurt anything. My Satoh has turnbuckles on each sway chain. That's nice as I can make anything handing off the back have absolutely no side to side movement. Some folks tell me that's not good either. I don't know who to believe so I just do what works for me.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My plowing is OK but not the set up...I'm using an antique plow on a modified hitch so 100% agree it is not adjusted properly....it is even off a bit to put wheels in next furrow. Your Satoh set up is exactly where I was headed with a link I found although if you have a pic of your set up and the time to post it wouldd be greatly appreciated. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...itch-sway-chain-697042-picture004_27jun05.jpg

I should add that I'm using a 20 inch Cat 0 drawbar versus the 16.

Every three point hitch has (or should have) something to hold down the sway. Maybe the smaller ones don't, I don't know. The PK's anti-sway system is not the best but it is adequate. If your plow is making your hitch sway to one side, then (as I have been told) your plow is not adjusted correctly. I always hear from the old timers (dad being one) that if your plow is properly adjusted, there's no need for anti-sway devices, it'll just follow you down the feild. I saw evidence of this at the first plow day I participated in last month. There was a guy with a John Deere who had his plow dialed in. He was plowing with no hands and even got off the tractor and walked along side for a while. Show off. I fought mine all day. This is why plowing is an art. As far as the blower is concerned, I think if you make the chains as tight as you can, you'll be fine. You'll have a little back and forth but it shouldn't hurt anything. My Satoh has turnbuckles on each sway chain. That's nice as I can make anything handing off the back have absolutely no side to side movement. Some folks tell me that's not good either. I don't know who to believe so I just do what works for me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
mine usually stay loose but they do stop the arms from going to far. the only time i tighten them down is when i use the york rake, and the only reason is so i dont get swung all around and shaken when i turn. id imagine yours would swing more with the adjustable links, mine just have 2 pieces of flat stock.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:wwp: Like to see your set-up.

mine usually stay loose but they do stop the arms from going to far. the only time i tighten them down is when i use the york rake, and the only reason is so i dont get swung all around and shaken when i turn. id imagine yours would swing more with the adjustable links, mine just have 2 pieces of flat stock.

·
2,290 Posts
My plowing is OK but not the set up...I'm using an antique plow on a modified hitch so 100% agree it is not adjusted properly....it is even off a bit to put wheels in next furrow. Your Satoh set up is exactly where I was headed with a link I found although if you have a pic of your set up and the time to post it wouldd be greatly appreciated. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...itch-sway-chain-697042-picture004_27jun05.jpg

I should add that I'm using a 20 inch Cat 0 drawbar versus the 16.
I'll see what I have on my work computer tomorrow. Seems to me I have close up pics of this for some reason. I had also designed a pin that replaces the bolt where the lift arms bolt to the tractor. I designed it so that outer chains with turnbuckles could be used, just like the Satoh. Never had them made though so I'm not even sure if they would work. It may provide too much twisting stress on those bars and cause them to either twist or break off. We all know about the factory welds.:thSick:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
We all know about the factory welds.:thSick:
on my 75 the tube part that the spindle goes through is only half welded!:swow:

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great thanks...what do you think of hooking up a turnbuckle sway chain to the same hole as the lift arm assemble? Of another forum I got this pic of what could be made.

I'll see what I have on my work computer tomorrow. Seems to me I have close up pics of this for some reason. I had also designed a pin that replaces the bolt where the lift arms bolt to the tractor. I designed it so that outer chains with turnbuckles could be used, just like the Satoh. Never had them made though so I'm not even sure if they would work. It may provide too much twisting stress on those bars and cause them to either twist or break off. We all know about the factory welds.:thSick:

Attachments

·
2,290 Posts
That would work but would put everything right along the lift arms. I'm not even sure if the turnbuckle would turn past getting it tight to a certain point unless these cross over like the existing chains. My pin put the chain out from the post and gave you room to work.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok...I think I get it now...your turnbuckle runs parallel with your lift arms because you were able to extend you lift arm bolt that attaches the lift arm to the tractor with a pin, I assume the pins extended inwards. This allowed for room for the turnbuckle, so would you hook the other ends to the little eyelits on the PK lift arms? OR would you beef the eye lit end up a bit? My plan will be to cross them. I'm actually gonna try to make a set of these myself (so happy to have a welder ...be what it may) Seems to work pretty good for a 110 Volt welder.

That would work but would put everything right along the lift arms. I'm not even sure if the turnbuckle would turn past getting it tight to a certain point unless these cross over like the existing chains. My pin put the chain out from the post and gave you room to work.

·
2,290 Posts
Ok...I think I get it now...your turnbuckle runs parallel with your lift arms because you were able to extend you lift arm bolt that attaches the lift arm to the tractor with a pin, I assume the pins extended inwards. This allowed for room for the turnbuckle, so would you hook the other ends to the little eyelits on the PK lift arms? OR would you beef the eye lit end up a bit? My plan will be to cross them. I'm actually gonna try to make a set of these myself (so happy to have a welder ...be what it may) Seems to work pretty good for a 110 Volt welder.
You got it basically. I never had these pins made (yet) so I have no clue if they will work or not. It's been a while since I've seen the drawings but as near as I can remember you would attach the pin to the tractor, slip the lift arm on the inside and hold it on with a hitch pin. The chain would have to have a doughnut on the end. Slip a spacer on the outside, then the chain then another hitch pin. I would probably just bolt the chain to the lift arms. I wanted something that would get the chains out if the middle. They really get in the way when you want to cultivate taller crops.

Believe it or not, I bought a welder almost a year ago now and haven't even got to use it yet!

·
2,290 Posts

·
2,290 Posts
Well I found the close up on the three point anti-sway system on the Satoh. I haven't found the drawing of the pin yet but I will look as I get the chance.

100_0428.jpg

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pic Jeff...thats awesome....I have my solution for this winter, but I think I will build them similiar to yours in the spring.....which brings me to my solution....you might have guessed (TRAMPOLINE SPRINGS) they hold tight, but not so tight they break off bad welds, and are easily adjustable depending on the attachment I have on....no looking for something to turn the turnbuckle. What you think?

Well I found the close up on the three point anti-sway system on the Satoh. I haven't found the drawing of the pin yet but I will look as I get the chance.

View attachment 185612

Attachments

·
2,290 Posts
That's actually not a bad idea. You might find that the ends of the springs will give out before anything but it should be interesting to see how this works. If nothing else, it would be an excellent way to keep the arms from flopping around when you have nothing on the back. Wish I hadn't thrown the springs we had from an old trampoline away.

If I ever find this drawing that I made, I'll send it to you. Should you decide to make them and try them out, perhaps two more will fall out of the machine too.:praying:

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I should get at least a year out of each set as my tractor chains are still held on by the first set of trampoline springs I put on about this time last year...hmm the supply I have now should last till the time comes to pass the PK down..LOL. Guess it is time to crash...just got off the graveyard shift and I am past my third day up...:coffee:

That's actually not a bad idea. You might find that the ends of the springs will give out before anything but it should be interesting to see how this works. If nothing else, it would be an excellent way to keep the arms from flopping around when you have nothing on the back. Wish I hadn't thrown the springs we had from an old trampoline away.

If I ever find this drawing that I made, I'll send it to you. Should you decide to make them and try them out, perhaps two more will fall out of the machine too.:praying:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts