My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
In @Jere39 fashion, obligatory dog pics.

Dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Gun dog

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,817 Posts
Nice pooch shots. (y)

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Nice pooch shots. (y)

Hard to believe Kade is the senior dog now. Beau, (first pic) is now 2 and he was a rescue dog we got at 20 weeks. He looked so similar to Yatt the old dog who passed the wife said "go get him"

Yatt, then Beau
Dog Carnivore Working animal Liver Dog breed
Dog Working animal Carnivore Liver Fawn
Plant Vertebrate Elephant Wood Fawn
Dog Liver Working animal Carnivore Dog breed

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,817 Posts
They do have similarities. When you look at those poses you have to wonder what they're thinking about. 🙂

·
Parts collector
4,339 Posts
They both look like an Airdale mix.

Reactions: c5rulz

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
They both look like an Airdale mix.

Nope, Yatt and Kade are Duetsch Drahthaars from the German registry. Beau is a Craigslist dog and is a Labradoodle. Not even similar but they look alike. Beau has several traits and an attitude like Yatt.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Broke the splitter out for Summer duty yesterday. Can't believe I had difficulty splitting birch.o_O:mad:

Well what happened was the neighbor cut down a birch that split during a storm. We had planned on removing it this fall but nature hastened this along. The neighbor blocked it all up into relatively consistent lengths BUT every single block was cut at angles between 30 and 60 degrees. Nothing was square. Trying to run these through the splitter were problematic at best. If any one has spent some time on a splitter and run into this you can relate.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I'm guessing that you're venting, but you're right, you need at least one end of each round to be square. I've recut a few over the years because the splitter would just spit them out.

Mike

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
You seem so experienced I am not going to offer any tips...but I thought that your splitter would just chew up and spit anything out
I'm guessing that you're venting, but you're right, you need at least one end of each round to be square. I've recut a few over the years because the splitter would just spit them out.

Mike

At least one end needs to be relatively square. It is possible to cut a round in such a manner that it CANNOT be split due it just riding off the wedge or the push plate.

The wedge on mine is extremely sharp and even one cut at 60 degrees was able to to be split but when both ends are that way it is a nightmare. The neighbor is a super nice guy but just down right scary with a saw in his hands. Me and the other neighbor who is competent have tried giving tips but they fall on deaf ears. For example my wife even laughs when he is cutting a trunk and making a "sawing" action" back and forth like it is a hand saw. Always sloping back cuts and geometry of face cuts to felling cut laughable.

The 2nd piece wouldn't split too bad as the end is square but imagine both ends looking like this.
Wood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle
Wood Rectangle Food Plant Natural material

·
Super Moderator
11,261 Posts
I usually use mine in the vertical position and the bottom plate has some slightly sharpened extrusions that I can slam the pointy end onto that, which then hold that end still...it is tricky when both ends are cut like a beaver took down the tree ;)

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
My splitter is nowhere near as forgiving, zero sharp parts.

Mike

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
The splitter wedge looks a lot sharper now, all the paint is gone. :)

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
My splitter was designed with a dull edge, I think. Even the slip-over 4-way wedge has a rounded edge.

...imagine both ends looking like this. View attachment 2514395 View attachment 2514396
While I can picture that in my head, I'm having a tough time imagining how/why anyone would do that, LOL...

You, your wife and your "competent" neighbor are very brave to be anywhere near this guy with a running saw in his vicinity...

Mike

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
My splitter was designed with a dull edge, I think. Even the slip-over 4-way wedge has a rounded edge.

While I can picture that in my head, I'm having a tough time imagining how/why anyone would do that, LOL...

You, your wife and your "competent" neighbor are very brave to be anywhere near this guy with a running saw in his vicinity...

Mike

The builder put a lot of thought into the design of the wedge, here is the explanation:

The wedge face has a "step" in it so that the bottom part of the round will contact it first and start splitting before contact is made with the rest of the wedge. The closer contact is made to the beam the less stress is put on the machine. No matter how well something is build, undo stress can be applied if common sense is not used.

The wedge is very sharp so it takes minimal effort to split something, almost always it runs under 600PSI and most of the time barely registers on the gauge. The Wedge is made of AR400 steel as is the push plate and top plate of the beam so the metal is pretty robust.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts