My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying this Bradford metalmaster lathe for over a year I finally got it moved into position in my garage. Took the 3 up 3 phase motor out and am currently hooking up a 5hp single phase motor up. I plan on cleaning the whole machine and changing the gear oil. Any pointers for a first timer? 15755228671111473962659.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,711 Posts
I would suggest starting off with using HSS for doing your cutting, and grinding them yourself (you need a special wheel on a grinder to do it), plenty of tutorials on youtube showing how to do it. Then, once you are comfortable with using HSS, and can do a good job with it, consider switching to using carbide replaceable cutting tips (you can work them harder to do the job faster, but they are relatively easy to damage and then you need to use another one).

As for actually doing it, use the right speed for the material you use (both the kind of steel/aluminum, as well as it's diameter, and what you are using for a cutter [hss or carbide]) changes what you should be using for speed.

I found www.hobby-machinist.com to be helpful when I was first learning to use my lathe.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I agree with Dave.

Start with HSS bits, start with simple stuff. Get familiar with the machine first.

Check out some videos for starters. It helps a lot.

Here a list of videos from Blondihacks on Youtube dedicated to starters:

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts