My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well--it's come to the the point where my little Motorola flip-phone
is dying...slowely but surely..:crybaby:

Oh, well-over six years hard service is commendable...

It's working right now (today)--but who knows, and I use it quite a bit for work.

We went to the Verizion store in Richmond, last Saturday, and I was sorely
dis-appointed. They only offer two varities of 'flip-phones' anymore, and both look/feel very cheaply made.
I do NOT need a smart phone/automatic back scratcher/14-game mgz. player, Ipad,etc

I need something tough durable/Heavy duty and able to withstand outside work rigors. We left there and came down to Coastal Carolina on Sunday for a little R & R, so I figure--why not check down here?

Same thing plus one (slighly better made phone)

Still not my cup of tea==
So-one gentleman suggested buying a new one off E-Bay. Even named off several options---seems people buy these up in volume, when the national retailers dis-continue them, and re-sell/wholesale them.

Has anyone here ever done this with a cell phone?Here's what I am contemplating--
http://www.casiogzone.com/boulder/--and right in my price range for now!:fing32:

Thoughts/opinions?

glenn

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
That's the answer to my cell phone problem right there! Hope to have one by next week before my poor little Nokia 6015 wheezes out! Thanx for the link!!!:)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought four used verizon phones and a new one. Of the four one went bad within a week and the dealer replaced it with a new one, so I would say it is a good deal to purchase from ebay. The only place almost that you can get a real phone like you want, a phone...not a mp3 player, a gameboy, camera or web browser. And you don't have to get a data plan whether you use it or want it.

·
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the answer to my cell phone problem right there! Hope to have one by next week before my poor little Nokia 6015 wheezes out! Thanx for the link!!!:)
That's quite all right--Mr. HH!!:fing32:

Just waiting for my Paypal acct. to re-activate...then once I get this tool, and back home--if'n I can't activate it on-line, I will just mosey on by the local Verizion store and get them to do it..:fing02:
.N/C --as we are still on the family plan.

BTW--here is the one I'm looking at--and the dealer's reviews are good--free shipping is good, also.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Casio-GzOne...3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5559&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Anyone else?

glenn

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
check verizons pay as you go phones. most of the phones there are older models. un activated, you only need to change your active IMEI to the new phone's IMEI.. Best thing is, there $20-30

·
Registered
339 Posts
Howdy Glenn
I have the G Zone, its a durable phone for sure. Yup it can get wet, and you can drop it with no worries. I got mine a Verizon store, I told them I need one that can take a beatin, he hands my G Zone to me and I threw at the wall kinda hard, stil worked, for some reason the sales guy looked sorta mad till I said write it up.
Lots of my construction buds have them and most if not all are at least a year old and still goin strong.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
he hands my G Zone to me and I threw at the wall kinda hard, stil worked, for some reason the sales guy looked sorta mad till I said write it up.
That is awesome! I put a $50 Construction Grade OtterBox case on my iphone. Dropped it on cement several times. Didn't hurt it at all. I need the email, ms, web browser etc... So that seems to work for me.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I bought seven phones for family members this last week. Today, I returned four of them because they broke already. Of course, all the up-grade phones are out of stock so I have four more junk replacement phones. It gets worse every year.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I bought seven phones for family members this last week. Today, I returned four of them because they broke already. Of course, all the up-grade phones are out of stock so I have four more junk replacement phones. It gets worse every year.
Me thinks that was the motive of your family behind all of those "broken" phones.

·
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Howdy Glenn
I have the G Zone, its a durable phone for sure. Yup it can get wet, and you can drop it with no worries. I got mine a Verizon store, I told them I need one that can take a beatin, he hands my G Zone to me and I threw at the wall kinda hard, stil worked, for some reason the sales guy looked sorta mad till I said write it up.
Lots of my construction buds have them and most if not all are at least a year old and still goin strong.

Thanks for the info--and a big -Hello! to you, Steve!!:thThumbsU

glenn

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My boss has a GZone. It's probably 2 or 3 years old now and still works ok. He was able to crack the glass on the front display but it's still viewable. Sure it's tough but he's never been real impressed with it's functionality as a phone, though. Poor speakerphone, really poor reception, not really user friendly as he puts it.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,707 Posts
I had a GZone for a few years; never managed to break it. Reception was good - there were two models when I got mine, and I asked the clerk which one had the best reception and got that one. I live where cell reception is spotty.

Left it outside in high teens temperature all day in the blowing snow by accident. Realized I didn't have it and went looking for it. Saw it out there and took out a plastic bag with me. Brushed it off, put it in the bag and brought it inside to warm up. After a couple hours I tried it and it worked just fine.

Gave it to my great nephew, who is a journeyman carpenter, and he is still using it and dropping it periodically. It's about five years old now.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Just ordered the Casio "Boulder" on Ebay... With the luck I had today it probably won't work with my Verizon plan... but at least I won't be able to break it.:D I looked around the net last night and found very many used/refurbs for sale and nary a "new" one. This one is supposed to be new. Wow, free USPS shipping... if they can find my house again. The only sure mail is catalogs for Wifey, 22 of 'em today alone!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I have a Convoy 2 made by Samsung from Verizon.It is suppose to be impact resistant?Its not water proof but is a well made phone.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
My employer gave me a Samsung Rugby (AT&T) and it is a durable strong flip phone and meets mil specifications for rough use. I can personally attest that it is tough as I dropped it once from the top of a aircraft stand to the ground (about 2 stories high) and everything held together and it did not break or anything. I did have to take the battery out after the fall and reinstall the SIM card and it was back to work and has worked fine since then. Just a good basic flip phone.

·
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The NEW Boulder arrived today (fast shipping in three days)...:trink40:

From Bluedot........

In the charger now 'till tomarrow--then will access Verizion on-line, if that fails--will just go by the store...

Will read up on it tomarrow evening..

And give a review here in a couple months...

glenn

·
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's an almost month after review--but not only of the phone--but of the selling company, also!!

:fing32:

Couple pictures of the Boulder Z One from Casio (first phone by them I have ever owned.) I opted for the orangey bronze one just to be different......:trink40:

Phone works well in reception--no dropped calls --so far on Verizion net.

Hooked up via on-line instructions at 11 pm at night with no problems!!
Looks very study/well made.
Speaker phone part works very well for me, in noisy situations, since I am hard of hearing (hearing aid)...
wished the internal speaker was as strong....:crybaby:

Phone arrived with house charger and pedistal. owners and shotcut manuals, and extra long cord for the charger--all in an OEM Verizion box, still in plastic...Definately brand new!!

Battery charge has been lasting a couple days--with some heavy useage--so I thought--"What the hack--lets see about that 'extended life battery"

I e-mailed The Blue Dot--the company we purchased it from in Penn. on Wed., wondering if they sold the extra life battereies I had read about.?
--that night I got an e-mail back from them.

Contents of the message back were ---
_ "We at Blue Dot are a small company, and like to keep our customers happy.
Why don't I just send yoiu a new 'extended life " battery for your phone, and Thanks for your business! Let us know if there is anything else we can do--

Well--received it in the mail today--it's on charge as we speak!! New battery is twice as thick as the std, battery--looks like a humpback whale--

:biglaugh:--

Also just fits right into the little canvas holder for my belt that I had before fromn TSC--I think $5.99.

But reminds me of years ago when I had a Motorola StarTac11 phone with the extra life battery--and that was undoubtably the best cell phone made--just not GPS capable..I talked on that little gadget for eons when I was driveing one of the [email protected] work--moving equipment

Tell me that The Blue Dot is not about some customer service!!!

I ever need any phone stuff again--I know who I'll deal with..

:trink39: Here's one to Ken N Tx recovery--and The Blue Dot.. ( Might as well get two birds with one drink!!!!):thThumbsU

glenn

Attachments

·
Banned
271 Posts
The Casio Gzone phones are good units! I have the Commando right now, first phone i have had that can be dunked in a glass of water as a bar trick... I know one guy that uses it in the shower in the morning as a shower radio.

Tough, waterproof, and works great!

·
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Little new phone is just kicking right along--new high use battery capacity is great!! Only charge once a week---

I couldn't have asked for a better deal, or a nicer company to deal with---:fing32: exactly what I needed at the right price!!

Wonder if HydroHarold ever got his new one?

glenn

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I had a TracPhone made by LP. Almost new, it went through the washer and dryer!

No...... it died right there. Nice paper weight. Or I can throw it at the wall like some other folks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts