My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 455 yesterday. It has a 60" Deck and 1200 hours on it. It has a hole in the hood ( I got them to throw in a new hood with the deal). It is missing the tail lights, the lights on the dash and head lights don't work, but the glow plug light and other sensor lights work. I am guessing it's a fuse or the light switch itself? The mower started right up and only puffed a little smoke for 1 second then cleared right up. What a smooth running little diesel. This thing is way smoother than my 2305. The seat is also cracked.

So I paid $3500 with the new hood. I think it's a fair deal. i have been looking for one for a long time. I had my dealer transfer it from North Dakota and got free shipping on it. These things never come up for sale around here.

So my question is, what do you think about the lights? Just the switch or a fuse? I am planning on putting a new seat on it, getting the tail lights, the reflectors up front, then I should have a perfect condition 455. I will also take the deck off and change the gear case oil, grease everything and put new gator blades on. It will be a long winter waiting to mow. We don't get much snow here so I won't need a blower or blade. Unless I run across a good deal on the hitch and blade....

And here are the pics, notice I put them at the bottom so at least someone would read my rambling...

·
Registered
148 Posts
98ramtough,

I also own a 455. You are right - they are a SWEET running tractor!

I have had 2 light switches crap out on me last winter; 1 on a 445 and 1 from a 425. I can't remember if i tried to "rejuvenate" the switches. In a pinch, I bypassed the switch with a jumper wire and 2 crimped male spade connectors, until a replacement arrived. Jury-rigged like this, the lights will turn off with the key. This temporary fix could help in your diagnosis of the lighting circuit.

The switch is relatively easy to remove: lift up hood - gently remove and disconnect gauge cluster - reach into hole once occupied by gauge cluster to squeeze switch retainer clips, while at the same time, push switch out of dash.

I hope this helps.
Bill

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
I had my dealer transfer it from North Dakota and got free shipping on it. These things never come up for sale around here.
Good luck with the 455. It is the one machine I'd like to own someday. Let me ask you, how does this transfer process work? You found the machine at another dealer online and asked your dealer to transfer it for free?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it from a giant dealership that has a ton of dealers all over the midwest and west coast. It was at the same dealer different location so they were able to put it on the truck with another piece of big equipment and got it shipped for free.

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Thanks. So it seems that to get this free ship/transfer the dealer near you has to be associated with or owned by the dealer you buy the machine from. I was hoping it was a dealer to dealer thing anywhere in the US. That would be too good to be true I suppose.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think that would be too good to be true. Then each side has to get a profit on the shipping etc. In this case, RDO as the dealer was selling it at a store in North Dakota. I bought it through my local dealer and had to wait for it to be shipped so they load it behind some big ag equipment. worked out pretty good...

http://www.rdousedequipment.com/drilldown/mower/riding-mower/john-deere

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you just remove the side panel you can get to the switch. Easier than taking the dash out.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Congrats on the 455! Thanks for the pics, you should get LOTS more hours out of it.:fing32:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Congrats and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats on the 455. I've had mine for almost a year and love it, and I'm sure you will too! All of the missing lights/reflectors are pretty cheap to replace and easy to find on ebay. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give your new tractor a good tune-up. Fluids, filters, grease/lube, etc. Some people think that just because it's a "diesel", that you can just beat it up and it will keep coming back for more (which is somewhat true). Who knows how the previous owner treated it... A little bit of preventative maintenence goes a long way, and also gives you some piece of mind with such a new and big investment. Welcome!

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
sounds like a great price, i've got the 400 series itch and wouldn't mind stumbling on something like that myself!

·
10K and Climbin!
12,357 Posts
If you just remove the side panel you can get to the switch. Easier than taking the dash out.
The only way to see if power is going to the lights is to test the circuit. Your problem may be as simple as a broken ground wire? Those tractors are a bit intimidating to the new owners but can be figured out with time and some studying.. Here's some light reading for you.. Check out the Electrical section to find the steps to troubleshoot your problem: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=142324

Have a good Holiday! :trink40:

·
Super Moderator
33,834 Posts
Congrats on the 455! A very tough tractor so you should get a lot of work out of it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts