My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost didn't buy a John Deere because of the RIO button. Other mowers had the option of mowing in reverse by just repositioning the key. When I bought my JD 135, I thought I had made a big mistake, the rio button was a pain in the butt. I found out how to disable the rio button and now love my mower. John Deere should give the same option as other brands.

·
Registered
921 Posts
What is the difference between repositioning the key each time and hitting the button each time? Maybe it's just me but pulling up the pto button for a second and letting it go when I need to mow in reverse isn't a problem at all. There is an added benefit which is that it reminds me to look behind me to make sure no one or nothing is there before I go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What is the difference between repositioning the key each time and hitting the button each time? Maybe it's just me but pulling up the pto button for a second and letting it go when I need to mow in reverse isn't a problem at all. There is an added benefit which is that it reminds me to look behind me to make sure no one or nothing is there before I go.
You don't have to reposition the key each time. The switches have four positions. Off, Run in either direction, Run in forward only, and Start. Those are not actually the names on the key switch, but indicate what that position does.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I disabled mine too. I do a lot of mowing in reverse as I have a lot of tight areas. The RIO really slowed down the process.

The other brands let you select the RIO option if you want to use it. Much better idea. Maybe JD has too deep of pockets and didn't want to chance it.

I suspect the guys that think RIO isn't a pain don't have to back up 100 times during their mowing process.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
try getting off a L130 with a push button RIO on the left and then getting on X500 with the pull up RIO on the right! i have done this for clsoe to a year now, up until the L130 decide to break it's front axle the other day. i am seriously considering adding a toggle switch to each machine to bypass the RIO. this way if my wife is using it(no one else is allowed to drive my machines as i don't loan them out) it can be enabled but when needed i can easily disable it.

FWIW all safeties on my Deere machines are active still. my Craftsman had none when i got it, not even a seat switch, but then again it don't have a deck either.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Glad you like the mower now. I like the simplicity setup. Once the pto is engaged there's a key thay gets turned and light goes on. Once this is done you can mow in reverse until the pto is shut off again. I always turn the key just after engaging the deck as routine so I never have an issue.

MU

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you like the mower now. I like the simplicity setup. Once the pto is engaged there's a key thay gets turned and light goes on. Once this is done you can mow in reverse until the pto is shut off again. I always turn the key just after engaging the deck as routine so I never have an issue.

MU
Sounds like a great set-up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disabled mine too. I do a lot of mowing in reverse as I have a lot of tight areas. The RIO really slowed down the process.

The other brands let you select the RIO option if you want to use it. Much better idea. Maybe JD has too deep of pockets and didn't want to chance it.

I suspect the guys that think RIO isn't a pain don't have to back up 100 times during their mowing process.
I agree. I mow a lot in tight spaces and have to do a lot of backing up. That RIO button wore me out.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
One of the things I really do like about my Craftsman GTS5000 is the ignition key override for reverse mowing. Just put it in that position and leave it there and you can mow in reverse at any point. My bud has an LA105 with the RIO push button, what a PITA!

·
Registered
682 Posts
One of the things I really do like about my Craftsman GTS5000 is the ignition key override for reverse mowing. Just put it in that position and leave it there and you can mow in reverse at any point. My bud has an LA105 with the RIO push button, what a PITA!

My Craftsman is set up that way also. So it isnt a big deal for me. The Hohn Deere is old enough to where that wasnt thought of yet. I dont mow in reverse much at all so it isnt really a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts