My Tractor Forum banner

541 - 560 of 566 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
Got the other half of the case cleaned up, new seals tapped in and it is back assembled. Need to wash the bolts and clean them up before final reassembly. Picked up the non-detergent 30 for the rear end even tho I won't be putting it back in the frame until spring :)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #542 (Edited)
I forgot to post as well that I picked up a new toy for the Sears fleet to drag around this year. A friend was selling out his collection, so I have 3 plows so I need a disk too right? :hide:

Its super straight and clean, all the bearings are tight and it shows very little wear. Should be a nice addition to the fleet! It even came with an original parts "manual" sheet

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
I figured since it's apart I'll clean up the visible shifter parts. I do plan to have it covered (more on that later) but if that idea hits the fan then I will have a backup already underneath

I also started cleaning up other parts of the shifter, just cleaning up the corrosion that this one seemed to have plenty of!

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
The shifter was cleaned and reassembled it this afternoon. Work and other things have been keeping me from finishing it off. It won't be going back in the tractor until spring, however that isn't too far away now :hide:. Input pulley was just set on in the picture

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
After longer than expected due to a job change back in January and working plenty of hours, the transmission is reassembled a few days passed the first day of spring

Hoping everyone is safe with the virus going around, as tomorrow is my last day of work for 2 weeks due to the shut downs. Wednesday's weather is looking good so I am hoping to get the Suburban 12 rolling again this week :). Then it will be painting and adding the extras I have planned... and then onto the next Sears project ;)

·
5K and there's still more
6,690 Posts
It's almost a shame that you put it back together and covered up the nice paint job.

It's almost there!
Keep up the good work & make the most of your time off from work.
Be safe!

Don

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #547
It's almost a shame that you put it back together and covered up the nice paint job.

It's almost there!
Keep up the good work & make the most of your time off from work.
Be safe!

Don

That wasn't my paint job, the factory did one good job on the inside! Only paint I touched up was the shift tower

However after wrestling with it this morning the rear end is in and the tractor is back in the garage to be finished up. I have to set the rear track width since this early model has adjustable rear hubs, as well as put humpty dumpty back together with a couple added pieces that are sitting in primer right now ;)

Will make a little progress this evening getting the driveline back in

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
Spent this morning making it look like a tractor again! Filled up the rear end, adjusted the hubs and added all the goodies back on it. All that is left is to adjust the clutch and brake/park brake but that is easier with a second person!

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #549
The rain finally broke this evening so we rolled the Suburban 12 out for a test flight

After sitting for 6 months after we fogged the motor it started second revolution and ran excellent. Transmission shifts smoother than cream cheese on a bagel, I am very happy with it! Drove it around about a half hour and it was a blast. Only issue is I think the transmission belt guard is tweaked and rubbing so will address that tomorrow

Went to turn the lights on and only one headlight worked. After some diagnosing the tail light was a bad ground so cleaning up the bolt and shake proof washers solved that. The other front headlight had burnt out, so grabbed one from a donor Bolens hood and we are back in action!

I finally colour matched the battery tie down, and my other trim piece needs to be repainted before I show that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congratulations on becoming a Sears Suburbanite! Nice tractor you found there. You will have much fun with yours.

My daddy had a 69 Sears ss12 we used for many years my bought the year i was born. I bought a 71 ss14 and a 70 ss12 in February of this year. Brought back many good memories from my childhood. Have two more to travel and go see/possibly purchase whenever this Coronavirus scare is over. Be glad when it is.

Im ready to purchase another tractor :)

I wish you all the best with yours. Have fun with it, indeed!

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
The last few days I had some time to start using the suburban 12 and it is awesome! Got to spread some gravel with it as well as smooth out some drainage ditches, as well as take a cruise thru the bush lot. With the refreshed transmission it is a dream to use! All the hard work paid off

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #553
Fired up the 12 and aerated the lawn the other day. Took a couple hours and a half tank of fuel. I was pulling a Agrifab plug aerator with dethatching attachment that I had picked out of the garbage last year and repaired, with a Sears OEM spike aerator that my Dad repaired last year (Believe it's in the Super Sad SS/16 thread). Once it was finished I noticed one hub had shifted and when rolling in reverse a noise was apparent. I retightened the hubs and added a paint mark for easy visibility if it moves. It only uses one set screw and a bolt thru the hub to clamp it on the axle and they are known to walk. The rolling noise was a brake band adjustment

I also added my custom shift booty and shift knob. A fellow on the SSBTC posted it and I had cut the plate last fall. I stuck it down with 3M 2 sided tape, and the boot is from a geo dune buggy. I think it cleans up the hole in the frame and looks great

It's sad to say after 3 years, but I think this thread is finally coming to a close as it will only be small running repairs now and I got the tractor to where I envisioned it when purchased. It was quite a project, and thanks to all who followed along and contributed, be it info, encouragement or kind words :). 3 years of your lives you will never get back :sidelaugh:

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
After using it the poor Sub 12 is back apart... :hide:. It had a squeal when taking off in 3rd high so I checked it out and the fixed idler pulley has a small bit of play. I will be replacing both it and the clutch pulley, and the old ones can go to the newly picked up SS/16 since both on it are toast. The right side hub keeps moving too, so will try to retighten it for the 3rd time as 3rd time is the charm as they say. If not, I may just find newer hubs that are non adjustable and swap those on since it has 2 set screws

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
The Suburban 12 is still taken apart in the shop waiting on pullies due to the border still being closed. I picked up the Oregon pulley and just have to trim down the shoulder to fit before primer and paint. I picked up 2 new correct size tubes to throw in it as well here shortly, I removed the wheel weights but failed to remove the wheels.

Also I purchased a work light to add to it today as well for the rear. It is a 4 LED 2 inch light, so once I prime and paint it I will mount it on as well. I want to get the snowblower fired up on the Suburban 12 this winter so that should be handy

·
5K and there's still more
6,690 Posts
Darn border closures. ;)
We sure love our LED's though,
mine came in today.

They call them "sewing machine lights"
but they work great on drill presses and now on the dry cut steel saw.

Had to point it away or the picture washed out. LOL!!

Two fer nine bucks . . . . sold!!!

Don

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #559
Darn border closures. ;)
We sure love our LED's though,
mine came in today.

They call them "sewing machine lights"
but they work great on drill presses and now on the dry cut steel saw.

View attachment 2464536
Had to point it away or the picture washed out. LOL!!

Two fer nine bucks . . . . sold!!!

Don

Looks great Don! I've never got into LED's really as most of our stuff have old school lights and we have spares. Your lights look handy, especially for 9 bucks! These were on clearance 29 for the pair with the wires and that mess too (which I didn't need but could be used at a later date, never know what projects come up ;))

I removed both rear tires this evening in preparation for tubes, sure enough the ride hub was lose again. So I reset it and cranked it down again, this time as much as it would go and I'm surprised nothing broke. Hoping 3rd time is the charm

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
Now that the Focus is done and I have parts the Suburban 12 is being put back together. Got the tubed mounted and reinstalled along with the weights. I checked out the pulleys and they are a very close match on both, which surprised me as I remembered having to cut down the clutch pulley offset on the ST/10X.

Got them both painted now and will reinstall them on my vacation coming up this week! Will be nice to have it back in service

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

541 - 560 of 566 Posts