My Tractor Forum banner

481 - 500 of 531 Posts

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Mikey I meant the extra pins and reinforced channel! Mine got buggered up by abuse from po plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My bad Eric, I remember you guys having to fix yours up now in your restoration thread!
That's some nice work, Mikey. You're starting to remind me of a young Ellis. Except that you don't keep your project followers hanging for years at a time..:tango_face_grin:
Thanks for the kind words Dave! I can only hope to be half as talented as Ellis, the other half I put into speed :sidelaugh:

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Got done class early, my parents were gone for the day, so into the garage I went to get stuff done on the old girl. Kicked Spotify onto shuffle and spend a couple hours relaxing with the tractor

Started by grabbing the dollar store paint brushes and touching up the clamps. The nuts had a lot of paint missing, so I made it look a bit better. It isn't perfect but it looks great for a worker and better than it was.

Next up I hand cut the decals since we never found the paper cutter, marked it out from the distances on the ST/10X's hitch and installed them. They look great! I think tried the drive screws for the data tags that I bought and of course they're a touch too small, now I have 100 of them with nothing to use :sidelaugh: :hide:, good thing it was cheap on Amazon. So I cleaned up 2 of the old ones and shot some orange paint on them. The plow I will just tap and use small screws

I then put the seat back together, I didn't like the stock bracket since it was bent, so I went about straightening it before I painted it and it is still too tweaked. I didn't like the way the stock one was made, so I took measurements and will make one out of some plate at work. No risk of bending like this one is and it will be more solid . The spacer however fit very nice, allows the hitch to clear, and the added height is nice for my long legs

Felt good to get progress on the 12, it is just about ready for spring plow day! :)

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
Nice man! I like the added seat height! I might steal that idea!!

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Hey..... lookin' OEM Mike !..:fing02:

And I like the raised seat too... did the same with both my Fords.

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Nice man! I like the added seat height! I might steal that idea!!

Thanks Eric! That material raised it just shy of 1 inch (.950 with the recess for the spring). I put the ideas out here for people to steel!
Hey..... lookin' OEM Mike !..:fing02:

And I like the raised seat too... did the same with both my Fords.
Thanks Larry! That is my goal

I agree, we did that to our Massey and kubota also. Seems most are designed for smaller people. It will go up a touch more with the new seat plate too

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Thanks Eric! That material raised it just shy of 1 inch (.950 with the recess for the spring). I put the ideas out here for people to steel!Thanks Larry! That is my goal

I agree, we did that to our Massey and kubota also. Seems most are designed for smaller people. It will go up a touch more with the new seat plate too
Forgot about my Kubota. Came up a good 4" with it's seat and still couldn't get on and off it properly. A shame as I really liked that tractor.

. kubota seat mod. brackets 033.JPG kubota seat mod. brackets 032.JPG

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
That is quite a lift kit Larry! We went up about an inch on the kubota and I believe it was 3 inches on the Massey, that one we used square tubing. Definitely makes a difference!

That one was created out of bits and pieces I had on hand, but used all existing Kubota mounting points. No mods to the tractor in case someone wanted to switch it back.

The two seat springs were from the seat of a honda 4514. Just enough angle to run the rain water off but levelled out when you sat on it

The old single rubber seat bumper was still left in place. You can see the height and set back distance in third pic but I was still too big to be comfortable on it.

. kubota seat mod. brackets 018.JPG kubota seat mod. brackets 011.JPG

kubota seat mod. brackets 023.JPG kubota seat mod. brackets 043.JPG

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Spent some time at work today and got the other rail machined as well as the last 2 guide pins. I also found material to make my seat bracket. All but 4 holes were already there since it was used material, however I drilled 4 to mount the seat and once it lines up I will tap and drill it for the anchor point (but I had forgot to measure it's location :hide:)

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
The weather man is saying we may be getting an ice storm Wednesday or Thursday so I decided to start throwing the generator together.

Spent some time this afternoon and laid it out and tacked it all together. Always nice when it all fits as envisioned! Tomorrow I will take it outside and weld it all solid. Going to find some material for the generator mounting plate and bumper/guard also. Dug the generator out and got it ready to mount, so we may get a test run this week

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
Nice Mikey, always good to have a extra Generator especially a portable one!!

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
Nice Mikey, always good to have a extra Generator especially a portable one!!
Thanks Eric, this will be out 5th generator in our fleet ranging from 3500w to 25KV.

We started by mocking up how large of a piece we needed using a piece of plywood, we had a length of 11 inch wide by 1/4inch plate that we then cut 15 inches off of for the base plate

I'm not a great stick welder but Pops wanted to burn up rods so it isn't pretty but it's solid!

Just have to drill the 4 mounting holes and the slide engage hole

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Yesterday Pops and I just about finished it. After hunting in the barn we found an old flip down step that would make the perfect generator guard, even had threaded inserts to bolt to

We welded a piece of 2" angle across the front to mount the guard to and then he wanted to use the Portomag we were given that he fixed so we tried it out. While I was at work this morning he played with belt sizes and our 2 engagement rods we had. Turns out they were slightly different in thread as well as length, so one was just what we needed for the brand new 50" belt that we had in stock

We will do a test generation this afternoon. They are predicting a quarter of an inch of ice tomorrow :hide:

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
Yesterday Pops and I just about finished it. After hunting in the barn we found an old flip down step that would make the perfect generator guard, even had threaded inserts to bolt to

We welded a piece of 2" angle across the front to mount the guard to and then he wanted to use the Portomag we were given that he fixed so we tried it out. While I was at work this morning he played with belt sizes and our 2 engagement rods we had. Turns out they were slightly different in thread as well as length, so one was just what we needed for the brand new 50" belt that we had in stock

We will do a test generation this afternoon. They are predicting a quarter of an inch of ice tomorrow :hide:

Nice! It’s coming along very nicely!
BTW your battery hold down you sent me work great! Used one on Bolens today!!

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Nice! It’s coming along very nicely!
BTW your battery hold down you sent me work great! Used one on Bolens today!!

Thanks Eric!
Awesome glad they are working out for you!

We rolled it out today and it lives! The carb on the tractor still isn't cooperating at idle (it never has) but we will leave it until after we become. a scene in Frozen tomorrow. We tested it with a combined load of 2700 watts and it loaded the tractor down but chugged along

After wanting a front mount generator for a tractor for all the years since I got into tractors, it feels weird finally having one :)

And of course, a clip! We have it set so it makes 110V at 3000 engine rpm which the tach we have proved is accurate

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #498

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Hey Mike, glad it's working for you.

With that creek running thru your place, I think picking up yet another tractor to put a pump on the front is now in order.

Think of the fun you could have with that...... err well... when it's warmer outside. Hey, you could always flood a skating rink too. :tango_face_devil:

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
Hey Mike, glad it's working for you.

With that creek running thru your place, I think picking up yet another tractor to put a pump on the front is now in order.

Think of the fun you could have with that...... err well... when it's warmer outside. Hey, you could always flood a skating rink too. :tango_face_devil:
We have thought about a front mounted pump, but we have quite a few B&S gas pumps standing around... but it could be a future project ;)

481 - 500 of 531 Posts