My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 531 Posts

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of looking I finally bought myself a Suburban:thThumbsU, in the form of a 1969 Sears Suburban 12. So how did I finally come across one I liked? Well, here is the story.

After helping my friend fix his Moto Mower Suburban I decided that this year would be the year that I would find one for myself. My Hahn Friend who's name is Zac also likes Sears himself so I asked him to keep an eye out for me in his travels. He replied that he was going to the Cincinnati, Ohio area this weekend and to see if there was anything I liked along the way on Craigslist and he would go look for me. So after saying I didn't need one right away and trying to talk myself out of it (since we are still cleaning to make room) I decided to check it out and ran across the ad of a guy near Dayton, Ohio that was selling a bunch of tractors. After looking thru a couple of his pictures I fell in love with a nice little good looking orange Sears, here are the ad pictures where I saw it (it was the one on the left, and the back left in the pictures)

01313_hdRfhNyUuoW_600x450[1].jpg
00t0t_dLPC6j8HtJv_600x450[1].jpg

So I talked with my Mom and Dad and they said they knew I was looking for awhile and if I liked it go for and get more info. Zac was nice enough to do all the talking for the deal since the Canada to U.S.A. calling and texts rates are very high. The guy said it was a project he had not gotten to and it sat since he got it. He seemed like a very honest guy and after talking with him he sent me a few more pictures

received_10154968139743436[1].jpeg
received_10154968139768436[1].jpeg
received_10154968139818436[1].jpeg

The guy also said that it would include the missing pulley and belt covers and a seat, so it was a nice complete original which I liked, so I asked Zac to buy it. He made the trip to Eaton, Ohio to buy it checked it out and had it loaded on his trailer to bring back to his home in Michigan where we would pick it up. Here it is for it's first time in daylight in probably 10 years, ready to head to Cincinnati and then return to Michigan. He also sent me the data tag which helped me say it was a '69

received_10154973640828436[1].jpeg
received_10154973968948436[1].jpeg
received_10154973969003436[1].jpeg
received_10154974741488436[1].jpeg

After returning home curiosity got to him so he tossed in one of his batteries and said it spun over great with the generator and had good spark also, even the lights worked. I am feeling good about my purchase at this point.

received_10154975540108436[1].jpeg

The gas tank was removed from the tractor (we were given one) so he did not try to fire it up. He said he wanted to save that fun part for my Dad and I, plus the carb needs going thru. So we planned to let it sit at his place for a few days before we picked it up

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This morning my Dad and I were discussing when we would make the trip to go get it. Zac told us he had some commitments all week, so this morning was about the only day that would work. SO after rushing to gobble down some breakfast and a quick stop to pick up my return for his time and shipping (a 24 pack of Old Vienna Beer) we were states bound. After the hour drive we made it to his house and got to finally check out the tractor. It was in very good shape, and has the tightest steering of any of my tractors, even tighter than my Ford. Everywhere looks like it has very little wear which was great. It even has all 4 original Sears tires (even though the fronts are rather sad, I will be looking into new ones once we get it going if anyone has any suggestions, the rears are in pretty good shape) as well as all the chrome pieces, cover plates, and the little steel front spindle caps). After a visit we loaded it up in the truck and began to bring it it's final leg of the journey to the Great White North

20170122_114650[1].jpg

Once we got home we used the elevated grade by the house to unload it with our plywoods and then towed it out back to the garage with the help of the golf cart

20170122_144626[1].jpg
20170122_145040[1].jpg

So after 5 years of seeing other people play with them from posts online, as well as reading all the resto and fix up threads here on MTF, I finally have one of my own :). I probably paid more than some on here do, but the prices in Canada are much higher so this was a good deal for me. After rolling it in the garage I grabbed a couple of pictures of it and the other parts we got

20170122_200553[1].jpg
20170122_201306[1].jpg

We also found a nice looking pile of mouse house parts behind the dash, as well as noticed the muffler is in pretty sad shape (would anyone have any suggestions on finding a new one?)

20170122_201316[1].jpg
20170122_201327[1].jpg

That is all for now. We are currently rebuilding a Tecumseh HH100 for my "Fahn" project, so the free time will be spent between the new Sears as well as that :)

Once we get it running I am hoping to find a 3pt hitch and a rear plow for it! I already have a set of 75lb weights that need cleaning up to put up on it, as well as 1969 Sears 3pt cultivator that I was given from a neighbor

·
Registered
289 Posts
gah i want a suburban so badly...
i know where two are. one probably is used by the owner, the other just sitting there rotting with attachments scattered everywhere, ROTTING!

(p.s. how do i post the crybaby gif in text? lol)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,074 Posts
Looks like a nice find Mikey. Signing on and look forward to the updates.

I've found a few of those mouse nests in things. One of the benefits of living in a colder climate in the winter.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
Looks very original and unmolested for a '69 !...like a time capsule...must have been stored indoors at least most of it's life by the looks of it...

I have two orange & white Suburban 12's,a '67 and a '68...that is my favorite color combo on them...

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words guys! I believe it was stored indoors for a long time, since it looked like it had not been out of the fellow's barn who I got it from for many years.

Brought the cat into the garage last night and he loved the smell of the tractor :sidelaugh. Hoping to start making progress on it soon!

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
It looks real good Mikey! Welcome to the dark side of the forum!!! ;) LOL
Once you own a Sub, you can never go back! Wait till you get a plow and or blower! They are a working machine! I LOVE my '67.

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the welcome to the dark side Eric ;)

Had some time this evening so began by taking the carb off. It looks like it has had a case of carb monkeys at some point since some things are put together wrong, there is Teflon tape hanging out of one thread.

20170123_205104[1].jpg

It also looks as if stabilizer was left in it since the whole fuel system is covered in a white powder, and the fuel bowl looks to have had a hole since it was crudely fixed with epoxy. It did not stick well either, because we poked it with a screw driver and it all cracked off

20170123_205236[1].jpg
20170123_205436[1].jpg
20170123_210922[1].jpg

The carb itself is a LME 48 carb. I believe the engine itself is the original HH120, but can anyone help with which exact model? All it has is the Sears number which I do not know what it means

The numbers on the tag say
MODEL: 143-582142
SERIAL: 8113 08323

That is all for now :)

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Figures someone hacked it! Did you get tractor number? GT-80 is pro on these, also tractorholic as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figures someone hacked it! Did you get tractor number? GT-80 is pro on these, also tractorholic as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are used to it by now Eric, nothing a little patience and time won't correct :). Not sure what you mean by tractor number, but the model number for the tractor is posted in the first post :)

I know one of the great members here will know:thThumbsU

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Hi Mikey, nice tractor you did good that is a very original tractor, when you get it going your going to like it they are great machines, I'll be watching your progress posts,
I have a question is it hard / easy to get a tractor from the US to Canada?

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
We are used to it by now Eric, nothing a little patience and time won't correct :). Not sure what you mean by tractor number, but the model number for the tractor is posted in the first post :)

I know one of the great members here will know:thThumbsU
Got to love small screens and older eyes! I couldn't make out the first posts picture of model plate! :(
LOL

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
Round fenders, the old style seat/spring, and the hood ornament. Got to love these old tractors! With some of the things you've been through, I know you'll blow right through your carb. situation, Mikey.:fing32:

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
Thank you for the welcome to the dark side Eric ;)

Had some time this evening so began by taking the carb off. It looks like it has had a case of carb monkeys at some point since some things are put together wrong, there is Teflon tape hanging out of one thread.

View attachment 1882914

It also looks as if stabilizer was left in it since the whole fuel system is covered in a white powder, and the fuel bowl looks to have had a hole since it was crudely fixed with epoxy. It did not stick well either, because we poked it with a screw driver and it all cracked off

View attachment 1882922
View attachment 1882930
View attachment 1882938

The carb itself is a LME 48 carb. I believe the engine itself is the original HH120, but can anyone help with which exact model? All it has is the Sears number which I do not know what it means

The numbers on the tag say
MODEL: 143-582142
SERIAL: 8113 08323

That is all for now :)
That "cream of wheat" paste is what water does to die cast zinc they made the carb from after it sits a long time..ethanol also leaves a similar residue behind after it dries up..

Your engine number shows up as a HH120 on the Craftsman to Tecumseh conversion chart (as you knew already),unfortunately I'm not sure how to tell the date of production,but it is probably possible using the model & serial number ..I would assume its original to the tractor,seeing its pretty unmolested and the color matches..
If you look at the base of the engine block near one of the mounting bolts,I think the front most one on the flywheel side,you'll see a "12" cast into the iron indicating it is a 12 HP...HH 100's had a "10" there for 10 HP..

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Mikey, nice tractor you did good that is a very original tractor, when you get it going your going to like it they are great machines, I'll be watching your progress posts,
I have a question is it hard / easy to get a tractor from the US to Canada?
Thank you very much GB! I was just looking thru your thread when you built the sleeve hitch for yours for my friend with the Motomower. He has a couple sleeve hitch attachments already so we are going to build one for him

As long as you have your paperwork it is pretty easy. If you buy it from Craigslist they like a printout of the ad, as well as a "Bill of Sale" saying both party's names (the sellers phone number is also good), the model and serial number, the condition (non running, no warranty, etc), the colour, and the type of fuel used if the machine were running. We have brought back 3 machines and various other pieces across with this paper work and you usually don't have a problem. Worst case scenario you pay the duty on the purchase price

Got to love small screens and older eyes! I couldn't make out the first posts picture of model plate! :(
LOL
No problem Eric, it happens to all of us!

Round fenders, the old style seat/spring, and the hood ornament. Got to love these old tractors! With some of the things you've been through, I know you'll blow right through your carb. situation, Mikey.:fing32:
Thanks Dave! My Dad and I are working on the carb. The main jet is being stubborn from the corrosion so we are working on that. We also found out that the bowl did not have a leak, but the little drain was leaking so instead of replacing the rubber he epoxied it. I plan to bring the carb bowl (the good one, and an old one to practice that we got with the Fahn parts) to school this week and sandblast the rust out of it. I have never used a sand blaster before so it should be fun :)

That "cream of wheat" paste is what water does to die cast zinc they made the carb from after it sits a long time..ethanol also leaves a similar residue behind after it dries up..

Your engine number shows up as a HH120 on the Craftsman to Tecumseh conversion chart (as you knew already),unfortunately I'm not sure how to tell the date of production,but it is probably possible using the model & serial number ..I would assume its original to the tractor,seeing its pretty unmolested and the color matches..
If you look at the base of the engine block near one of the mounting bolts,I think the front most one on the flywheel side,you'll see a "12" cast into the iron indicating it is a 12 HP...HH 100's had a "10" there for 10 HP..
Thanks TH, we did not know it was zinc, we thought it was aluminum.

Thank you for the engine help! I forgot about the numbers being cast into the base, which I had noticed previously on the HH100 we are rebuilding. We will just go with generic HH120 parts numbers which should be close enough for what we need :)

Thank you to everyone so far for the help and comments!

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Hi Mikey, a word of caution do not remove the main jet tube that is in the carb body they have a tiny idle hole that must match up with the carb body but you maybe just talking about the main jet needle screw.

·
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Mikey, a word of caution do not remove the main jet tube that is in the carb body they have a tiny idle hole that must match up with the carb body but you maybe just talking about the main jet needle screw.
Thanks GB, the main jet had to be removed because as we found in the past the little ports are usually plugged. We have successfully reused them before, however the PO of the Fahn sent me a package of 2 brand new main jets with the spare parts he found. We just need to check the part number to make sure it will work. These have the slot cut in them so lining up should not be an issue

We got the carb and bowl cleaned up this evening (decided to do it this way instead of sand blasting). I know it is not discussed on the forum, so all I will say is we did it using an eye dropper, and acid flux brush, and muriatic acid. IF YOU decide to do this, wear the appropriate safety gear (PPE) and we are not responsible, which is why that is the only detail I will give

20170124_203307[1].jpg
20170124_203317[1].jpg

We then neutralized both in a pail of fresh water, blew out all the passages with the air compressor and then placed it in a steel tray on the wood stove to dry overnight

20170124_203712[1].jpg
20170124_204512[1].jpg

To remove the main jet we "thermal shocked" it. This involved gently heating the outside of the casting in the area of the main jet with a mini butane torch and then using an eye dropping to run ice cold water thru the jet itself after heating to create the temperature difference. This worked like a charm and it came out with very little fuss :)

Should be time to order a couple gaskets we need and put it back together! Next will be to pull the flywheel shroud to check for a mouse house or damage to any wiring (since we already noticed one bare wire)

1 - 20 of 531 Posts