My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Boy, this 7 hp tiller is a horse! I want to say I ran the tiller, but it felt more like it was running me.
I'm a little bit confused. I was under the impression that "counter-rotating" simply meant that the tines turned in the opposite direction as the drive tires. In my pre-purchase thoughts, this made some sense. But, I was surprised to learn that the tines turn in the same direction as the drive tires. It starts out by churning some dirt, then suddenly the tines grab a double handful of traction(bite) and the whole thing leeps forward like a bucking bronco! Yeah, if I use ALL my might I'm barely able to pull back and kinda show this beast who's the boss. But, this can't be right,...can it? I weigh 175 lbs, but it would take 275 lbs to work this tiller longer than one hour.
NO, I didn't even try it in reverse, what if it eats my feet!
I know it's hilarious, except that I'm curious to find out if the tines are supposed to "counter rotate"? Obviously, I've never run a tiller, previously.
So, how'bout a whole bunch of comments? It's OK if you laugh, but keep in mind that I hate it when they laugh at me ROF

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
First thing ya want to do, Willie, is read the manual! :fing20:

You will probably find that there are 2 settings for the tines...one "forward" rotating. and the other "Reverse" rotating (based only on the info about the model you bought...) If you are tilling hard ground, or ground for the first time, you should run them in "Reverse" (turning opposite to the direction of the wheels). For regular tilling in dirt you have tilled before, forward direction is the one you want.

If you remember, I mentioned "counter-rotating" tillers/tines in an earlier post, but you said you had already purchased your tiller. Yours does not have "counter rotating" tines but tines where one setting turns forward and the other setting turns backward, but not at the same time.

Read the manual, try all the positions on your selector and you'll have it down soon.

Good luck!

Greg

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Willie...I have an older 7 HP Troybilt and when breaking sod my counter rotating tines will dig in and make the machine run. I'm not real sure what counter rotating does mean on this machine. Anyway, when breaking sod you need to put your weight on the handles and don't set the depth to deep. Once you get your initial pass done it'll get easier.

·
Registered
532 Posts
you want the tines to fight against the drive for dig.

that forward rotate is for gently mixing add ins to already tilled dirt...it's not for digging.

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
Willie , you don't have them counter rotating. Put the lever on the "R". You wont have to hold the machine back if the tines are counter rotating. The tines will NOT run the same direction as the tires if you are counter rotating.

Durwood

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually, I read the manual at the time I picked up the tiller. I felt like I had to read it before I uncrated it(I could tell right away there had to be a trick to uncrating and assembling). I had to do all this right outside the Sears customer pickup door(under the large awning). The big box would not fit in my trailer, not with all the stuff I had in it.
It never dawned on me that it was possible to select the rotation of the tines. I assumed that the tines ALWAYS turned opposite the drive wheels, and that all you selected was forward or reverse(just like in a car). Obviously, I had a mindset which resulted in a little bit of heartburn. Tractor language is a bit foreign to me. For my taste, I'd rather the words "counter-rotating" be used only in reference to co-axial devices. And, I prefer that reverse and forward only be used in reference to the direction of travel OF the vehicle.
Oh well, at least I checked the oil before I cranked up the engine.
Except for the terminology screw up(which you guys have helped me with) I think I'm going to like this tiller, and I can't wait to operate it in the proper manner.
Thanks you, thank you, thank you

·
Super Moderator
31,815 Posts
Anything like that, it takes a bit of use to kinda learn how it wants to be used. I know with my big Gravely 2wheelers, I would try to fight what it wanted to do, and mussel it around. Well, it did not take to many days of that chunk tossing my then 260lbs arund the yard, to learn to give it some rane and let it do its work.

Lots of good info here, and I am sure more to come, but the key is to do small bites on that first pass. Thats a tough one, and eaven when I was making my garden for the first time, using my Ingersoll444 with hydro powerd tiller [all together with me on it, was probably more the 1500lbs] I was pushed, pulled,tossed, and just shaked to peices. It will get easyer!!

·
Old Fart
3,225 Posts
Hi Willie -

How much of your property are you using the roto tiller on? I haven't seen a picture of your place for about a year now. Could you post some pics so we can see the progress you've made. Oh, is that topless dancer stiill living across the street from you?

ED

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Ed,
All I did was to knock down a little bit of fill, that had become hard-packed, in front of where the garage doors will go. The concrete guy who will do my foundation didn't like that clay soil there. He wants #2 base material for the lift. He uses his whacker-packer on these small areas in order to get about 90% compaction, which he couldn't do with what was there.
All I did was to get acquainted with the tiller. I really don't have a use for it until the house is up and I start doing the driveways and the sidewalks. A picture right now won't show anything. But, wait a couple of weeks, hopefully the surface scrape and the trenching for the foundation and the forms will be done.
Ever since I dropped out of the tractor forums I have been working at learning the house-building business. I'm my own general contractor/builder on this house.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ingersoll444 said:
Anything like that, it takes a bit of use to kinda learn how it wants to be used. I know with my big Gravely 2wheelers, I would try to fight what it wanted to do, and mussel it around. snip
hey Ingersoll, did you ever get any of the Gravely bites from your two wheel tractors? When I worke don my friends L model convertible a few years back I took it out to the drainage ditch along side the roadway to see how it cut. It did fine, then I wanted to see how it worked going up hill and downhill....Down oneside of the berm was fine, but when it went to go up that other side it liked to busted my wrists/arms/ knees with those handlebars, as they went down as the machine started up. Thats when I realized just how bent up in thr air those handles were and what caused it.....

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
Willie Nunez said:
NO, I didn't even try it in reverse, what if it eats my feet!ROF
Willie, it won't till in reverse. the "F" is for forward tine tilling and the "R" is for reverse tine tilling. The machine itself will not till while backing up in reverse.
Your feet are safe. ROF

Dur

·
Super Moderator
31,815 Posts
chipmaker said:
hey Ingersoll, did you ever get any of the Gravely bites from your two wheel tractors? When I worke don my friends L model convertible a few years back I took it out to the drainage ditch along side the roadway to see how it cut. It did fine, then I wanted to see how it worked going up hill and downhill....Down oneside of the berm was fine, but when it went to go up that other side it liked to busted my wrists/arms/ knees with those handlebars, as they went down as the machine started up. Thats when I realized just how bent up in thr air those handles were and what caused it.....
OH YA!!! A few times in places I don't want to talk about!!!!! I tell you, it does not take long to learn where those handles are at ALL times!!!

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Gravely "L" story #581. While mowing off some brush with the thirty inch rotary I took the first cut high (extra high clamp-on runners). Second pass I took off the runners and went for the regular height.... In a hurry as always I had 'er in high mowing along nicely until we hit a very resistive stub of a sapling with the front of the deck. Yes, those handles are just about gonad height all right! Fill in the cusswords...!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Hey Willie,
With any walk behind tiller, it is just about impossible to till to full depth in one pass. Even my 300 pound Troy-Bilt's manual say 1" at a time. Trying to till too deep will make the tiller hop and drag you around, and the more you push down on the tines, the more you unload the weight off the wheels. And it's the weight on the wheels that holds the tiller against the push of the tines (if forward rotating), or the tiller leaping backwards (if counter rotating). I have probably over 300 hours tilling with my Troy Horse and I can usually operate it with one hand while walking along side, as they advertise, but the typical established garden will take 5 or 6 passes minimum. Tilling through sod, requires 8 or more passes, which may seem like a lot, but it's less tiring to let the machine do the work than force it into dragging me around. I hope this helps you out, because I used to be dragged around by an ancient front tine tiller that pulled on my arms, shoulders and back with no mercy, and I know that ain't fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts