My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so My ATV was delivered yesterday, i bought it from a place that buys out closed dealerships.

They shipped it from Ca. They got it to the terminal and had a smaller truck deliver it yesterday, so i took the day off, waited for the delivery...

the truck came and the crate was huge - about 10' long and about 6' wide.

the truck had no ramps, no way to get the crate off, the driver, said, well the dispatcher thought you could pull it off the tailgate with a chain or something....

the tailgate was about 2.5 -3' long... the crate was 10' :banghead3

The truck is aout 4 ft off the ground and he wanted me to pull it off the back of the truck and slide it onto a lowered tailgate and hope it doesnt roll?
I really thought they'd at least have some ramps or a bigger tailgate or some way - short of me, having a forklift - which i didnt.

i had to refuse the thing...

the truck driver - IMO not the brightest bulb out there...

said, well ive done it like that with furniture :banghead3

no offense dummy, but a couch does not weigh 800 pounds...

if they had ramps or some way to roll it off the truck id have unpacked it and rolled it out... or if they at least indicated id need some wayto unload the thing...
i dont see how a trucking place can expect a residence to be able to get an 800 lb crate off of a 4 ft high tailgate that is only 3 ft long...:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

i am going to the terminal with a trailer and gonna bring it home tonight....

i lost a days work, paid an extra 100$ for home delivery... and apparently was expected to have a forklift, or a loading dock at my house in order to receive it :crybaby:

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,551 Posts
As a driver, been there done that..

Our Customer Service Team would usually call the customer, prior to delivery, to make sure they had the means to unload. If not, a dock pick-up was the only solution.

I have slid crates off the trailer and pushed up on end. Then moved the trailer forward and placed tires down to cushion the fall, and tipped it until it fell onto the tires.(Customer had tires).

PS: I had the customer sign a clear delivery receipt before doing this.:trink40:

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
COuld you have backed your pickup up to the truck??? We have done that before when the lift is broken.
it woulda never fit on my truck (cab) i thought of lowering it to the trailer...

the place did set up the time and date for delivery, if they had given me a slight indication id have gotten ramps or some arrangements...

not a huge deal, im going over there this afternoon to pick it up...

and the vendor refunded me 100$ for the trouble... :trink40:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,413 Posts
Had the same dilema when my quonset garage was delivered--a semi trailer about 4' off the ground with NO tailgate, backs in my yard on a snowy 10 degree day in January ,and the driver says "hope you have a loader or a forklift"!.."NOPE"..he grimaces,and says "great!--drove 10 hours to get here in a blizzard from Toronto,now I get to help unload a 3500 lb building peice by peice.."not MY problem"I said ,"I was told the truck was to have a forklift on it,so unloading it would be "easy"...No,I dont know why they said that,I never had any forklift!..my usual trailer has a power tailgate,but its being rebuilt right now"..

To speed things up,we jacked up the stack of arches so I could slide he pallet out from under it they were on,and I cut the strapping holding the 120 arches that made up my building and piled them one at a time onto the pallet it came on,on the ground,and I used a chain to drag them away with my garden tractor,which wasn't exactly easy,since the snow made traction difficult,but if it wasn't slippery there was NO way my tractor would have moved that load either!..

Looking back,I probably could have backed my pickup up to his trailers bed,and tried dragging the entire load on the pallet into my truck bed, with a come a long or a winch,but it was a 18" drop from the trailer to my truck bed,and the arches were 10' long and my bed was 8'..not a big deal,but then I'd have a 3500 lb load on my 1/2 ton truck,probably kill my springs,and it would be stuck there in the bed,until I unloaded it AGAIN somehow,out in the weather--so I opted to use the lawn tractor and I dragged the arches to my house's garage and shoved them in it with my trucks plow!..where they sat until spring,when I could start assembling it..

I later bought a 641 Ford with a "pipe" loader,but even tha thing would have been useless if I'd had it,because it could only lift about 1000 lbs tops.

I think its dumb for a trucking company to home deliver thing weighing TONS with no means to unload it from the truck!..the truck driver told me the building company was supposed to tell me to have a "forklift or backhoe on the premisis" to unload my building,but they told ME "delivery is free,and no assistance from the buyer is needed"..so far,thats the only LIE they told,the building has proved very satisfactory..

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I have unloaded 7 x 10 x 2 crated stainless steel restraunt exhaust hoods that weigh about 1,000 lbs by myself out of the back of tractor trailers MANY times .. with a 50' rope and a pickup with a hitch.

The trick is to slide the load 1/2 way off the back of the truck and lower one side to the ground with leverage ... then hook the rope to the highest point on the crate, tie to your hitch .. then pull up and let the big truck pull out from under the load .. I have never dropped one doing it this way .. its a bit hairy .. but you have to do what you have to do to get the job done when alone ..

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I have unloaded 7 x 10 x 2 crated stainless steel restraunt exhaust hoods that weigh about 1,000 lbs by myself out of the back of tractor trailers MANY times .. with a 50' rope and a pickup with a hitch.

The trick is to slide the load 1/2 way off the back of the truck and lower one side to the ground with leverage ... then hook the rope to the highest point on the crate, tie to your hitch .. then pull up and let the big truck pull out from under the load .. I have never dropped one doing it this way .. its a bit hairy .. but you have to do what you have to do to get the job done when alone ..
SJ .. if you have it sent to me .. I promise to get it off the truck for you buddy .. I now have a forklift and a bobcat with pallet forks here

If you need my address .. PM me :trink39: I will bring it up to you when I go hunting in Maine in the fall :thThumbsU

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
it woulda never fit on my truck (cab) i thought of lowering it to the trailer...

the place did set up the time and date for delivery, if they had given me a slight indication id have gotten ramps or some arrangements...

not a huge deal, im going over there this afternoon to pick it up...

and the vendor refunded me 100$ for the trouble... :trink40:
Whats the latest Boss? Is it home now so i can come over now and ride?:ROF

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
If it was fully assembled and pointed out the back, a 4' drop after a little goose of the throttle may be a good way to get a feel for the way it handles.

You'll have to get some pictures up when you get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts