My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to fellow member PRattenbury, I finally have a LB after about 6 months of searching!

Right now, I smell like 2cycle smoke and have 1/2 a nicely mowed yard. I had to stop because the extra loud engine had my little girl hystrical, but she will get better on that with some time. In trying to her to get over it, I was carrying her in one arm and pushing with the other. Some how, in the process, the front wheel managed to come off (how, I have no clue??) and get sucked under the mower. Luckily, I was burning off the rest of the gas in the line, so it was just about dead anyway. Only damage seems to be (I HOPE!) to the wheel. Question is, can I just go to Home Depot and get a generic wheel? My main issue is just functionality. After this season, I might get another set of real LB wheels, but right now, I just want to get my yard finished. :)

Also, second question, I knew that the 2cycle would vibrate more than the 4 I have now, but has anyone found anything that really helps with that? I am thinking maybe some rubber gaskets or something on the handles?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wheel falling off. I think it will be available on www.partstree.com. Their site is quite intuitive to use. If you have patience and diligence sometimes you can take the part number you get from partstree and look other places for a better price. Sometimes you can save money that way. At least with a 10247 most all parts are still available. The older ones that I tend to gravitate towards are more difficult to get parts for. The Duraforce mowers are sort of loud since their mufflers are above the deck, whereas most previous models have their muffler underneath. But the Duraforce engines are pretty decent beasts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about the wheel falling off. I think it will be available on www.partstree.com. Their site is quite intuitive to use. If you have patience and diligence sometimes you can take the part number you get from partstree and look other places for a better price. Sometimes you can save money that way. At least with a 10247 most all parts are still available. The older ones that I tend to gravitate towards are more difficult to get parts for. The Duraforce mowers are sort of loud since their mufflers are above the deck, whereas most previous models have their muffler underneath. But the Duraforce engines are pretty decent beasts.
That is OK. I am the one that put them on. I'm sure I just didn't tighten it up enough as I was a little quick to get it all together and in the yard.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Linky

684776 WHEEL AND TIRE ASM $15.20 plus shipping. Not too bad to fix properly. I'd buy two.
Nope, not bad at all. I had already run out to HD to get a generic wheel before I saw this. This generic one will be fine for my purposes. I suspect I will only mow a handful of times before the fall anyway. I will rotate in a new set of real LB wheels then.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks to fellow member PRattenbury, I finally have a LB after about 6 months of searching!

Right now, I smell like 2cycle smoke and have 1/2 a nicely mowed yard. I had to stop because the extra loud engine had my little girl hystrical, but she will get better on that with some time. In trying to her to get over it, I was carrying her in one arm and pushing with the other. Some how, in the process, the front wheel managed to come off (how, I have no clue??) and get sucked under the mower. Luckily, I was burning off the rest of the gas in the line, so it was just about dead anyway. Only damage seems to be (I HOPE!) to the wheel. Question is, can I just go to Home Depot and get a generic wheel? My main issue is just functionality. After this season, I might get another set of real LB wheels, but right now, I just want to get my yard finished. :)

Also, second question, I knew that the 2cycle would vibrate more than the 4 I have now, but has anyone found anything that really helps with that? I am thinking maybe some rubber gaskets or something on the handles?
:00000061::duh:you shouldn't be carrying a child while cutting grass with a push mower that is absurd and Very DANGEROUS!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:00000061::duh:you shouldn't be carrying a child while cutting grass with a push mower that is absurd and Very DANGEROUS!
I agree, it wasn't my finest moment of judgment, but I'm just trying to prep her for when she is a few years older. :)

Really though, I wasn't "mowing" with her per say, I was simply holding her, trying to show her it was the same mower sound from the first day I started it and not something else, (well, really, she was holding me, for some reason, the 2cycle didn't appeal to her like the 4 does) while the mower was running. I was just holding down the blade control while the gas ran out and happened to move it to the side a bit (I guess?) when the wheel just came right off and got sucked under.

I am just confused how it came off in the first place. I know that I got it good and tight on there. Possibly over tight? Are there any type of nuts that go on the back side of the wheels?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I forgot to mention, that even with the SD plate instead of the mulch plate, there is hardly any clipping visiable on my yard. That is quite impressive too as I have let my St. Aug get very, very tall in anticipation of this mower. Quite impressed. :)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Keeping the blade sharp helps. I've had that machine blow out clippings in the past, but I just go back after myself with a rake. I was never a fan of mulching. Over time I would think that would cause too much thatch in the lawn. But that's just a notion I have based on no facts.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I agree, it wasn't my finest moment of judgment, but I'm just trying to prep her for when she is a few years older. :)

Really though, I wasn't "mowing" with her per say, I was simply holding her, trying to show her it was the same mower sound from the first day I started it and not something else, (well, really, she was holding me, for some reason, the 2cycle didn't appeal to her like the 4 does) while the mower was running. I was just holding down the blade control while the gas ran out and happened to move it to the side a bit (I guess?) when the wheel just came right off and got sucked under.

I am just confused how it came off in the first place. I know that I got it good and tight on there. Possibly over tight? Are there any type of nuts that go on the back side of the wheels?
Thebolt just threads in to the adjuster. There's a thin flat washer that goes between the wheel and adjuster, but that's it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I like kids. They're really good with barbecue sauce.

·
Banned
864 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts