My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Struck a deal today with a great guy who had exactly what I've been looking for: Cozy Cab Model 14 JDX, 2nd Edition. :woohoo1:

Still need to pick it up, but already looking forward to staying dry this winter! More photos to follow, after pick-up/delivery. But here's a teaser for now:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,067 Posts
I'm green with envy!!! And maybe a little yellow here and there. Nice score! :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
:thThumbsU nice find! congrats

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Sweet !!!!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

It needs brackets, some glass, a wiper and wiring, a lot of elbow grease, and paint, but otherwise it is in surprisingly good condition. I hope to have it in the driveway within 7-10 days.

Since I don't have any more photos to share, in the meanwhile I am going to do a little tutorial on Cozy Cabs for the JD 140, so that this thread might be a resource for someone else in the future. Standby.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
JD introduced the 140 in late 1967 as a '68 model. They coordinated with "allied" vendors to make sure plenty of attachments, etc were available for this new hydrostatic garden tractor.

One of those allied vendors was Cozy Cab (aka Custom Products of Litchfield, Mn). Cozy had a cab model ready for the new 140 in mid-late-'67, and it looked like this:

MTF member Wisconsin140 found one of these very rare '67/68 cabs, and due to some modifications that had been made to it, he was able to use it on his 1973 140 H1. He did a fantastic job refurbing it, it really looks awesome!

Wisconsin140's Early Cozy Cab

--

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
For the 1969 model year, JD added dual steering brakes to the 140, which made the original Cozy Cab incompatible. So Cozy Cab introduced an all new model for the 140 with extra width at the brakes, and a new shape. They called this model the 14 JDX:

I call this version of the 14 JDX the 1st Edition, because it is different from the later version I just purchased. This 1st Edition has a different window arrangement around the hood, similar to the 1967/68 cab. The mounting bracket underneath the tractor is a little different too.

MTF Member ggsteve has a 14 JDX 1st Edition: See it here

---

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
In about 1972, which is the year of my 140, Cozy Cab did a partial redesign of the Model 14 JDX, but retained the same model name. I call this version the 14 JDX 2nd Edition. The primary change was to the window arrangement around the hood area, plus the under-tractor mounting bracket. More hinges were also added to the doors, and the top was slightly re-worked:

The other big difference between the 14 JDX 1st and 2nd Editions, is that the 2nd edition cabs are bolted together. They were shipped on flat pallets or creates for later assembly, whereas the 1st Editions arrived fully together in one piece (possibly welded?)

I am hoping that the ability to disassemble the 2nd Edition cab will make it easier to refurb.:dunno:

--

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
Sweet!!! Congrats on the cab!

Since this is for the winter how fast is this project going to move? I suspect we should see it mounted on the 140 in 20-25 days? right? :ROF

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet!!! Congrats on the cab!

Since this is for the winter how fast is this project going to move? I suspect we should see it mounted on the 140 in 20-25 days? right? :ROF
Ha! :D

You know how my projects go… we'll see.

But seeing as we're already at mid-October, it will be a priority.:fing32:

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
Great thread :fing32: Fun to read the old ads.
Lucky find Congrats :congrats:

·
Administrator
13,443 Posts
Good luck with your new cab UT. You're going to wonder how you ever got along without one. :D
Nice write up on the old cabs!:fing32:

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again, guys.

Katt, I'm glad you liked those old brochures -- me too!

I forgot to mention that Cozy Cab is still in business and makes some nice cabs for JD and others (sorry APinNy -- nothing for Kubota. :( But you're already set anyways!)

www.cozycab.com

Bruce, maybe you can find a used Cozy Cab for your X7!?

1 - 20 of 386 Posts