My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rod bolts and nuts for my 4000 are finally in my hot little hand. I ordered them the last of August from New Holland. Last week the dealer checked and New Holland told him it would be some time in late October before they would be shipped. He searched around and found two at another dealer and they sent them to him. Nuts were $8.30 each and bolts were $10.29 each with shipping at $7.50 for a grand total of $48.72 for two bolt and two nuts. Now I will say I am glad to have them, but am I the only one that thinks that is a little high priced?
At least I will be able to get the tractor back together again :trink39: and I do feel a little better having vented..:crybaby:

OH yeah..I did buy a new torque wrench that has a clicker that works. :fing20:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Can you say highway robbery? Heck they did not even hold a gun on you while they did it. You could have bought a good used rod or reconditioned rod and used the bolts from it for a lot less.

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah John, I knew the price of the bolts before I ordered them, but did not suspect the nuts would be over $8 each and thought the shipping would be included in the price of the bolts. The shipping was to them not to me. I picked them up in person. Since I was the one that ordered them I did not cancel.
I found some ARP high performance rod bolts for an older ford car engine that looked the same and could get 16 of them for $51, but pictures sometime don't show exact sizes.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I was down to the dealer the other day and picked up a new thermostat for my 671. The price was $24.95 without the gasket or tax. I took it anyway because I was already there and wanted to get the job done. When I got it home it didn't fit. Bought it back. They gave me the wrong one. The right one was about half the cost. It's been a while since I bought one but I kinda remember them going for about $5/$6. It's funny because some times on some items the dealer is in line with others cost with shipping and sometimes he is way way out of line.

Kirk

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:thThumbsU yeehaw!! I got the 4000 together and it sounds good. It shows 60lbs of oil pressure cold and drops some when warm. I haven't ran it enough to see what it will hold when fully warmed up. I was a little worried about the .002 undersized bearings, but I think it will be Ok.
Now I can bring the 2N inside and put on the new water pump, wires and get it tuned up. It did a fine job pulling the 7 foot finish mower around waiting on me to get the 4000 fixed. Maybe I'll give it an oil change as a reward.. :fing32:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts