My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to bring my farmall m (1947) to my house that was given to me after my grandpa passed away. He bought it about 20 years ago. After he passed I have been storing it at my dads in a barn because i never had a barn or garage to put it in and wasnt leaving it outside. Now that me and my wife have moved I now have a garage to store it and work on it so we hauled it hime today. I was like a kid at christmas bringing it home. Over the last ten years its only ran about once a year for a hay ride on halloween. This morning i slapped a battery in it and some gas and she fired right up just like always. First order of business is change all fluids and change plugs and wires and normal maintnence. And get some manuals. Later on i plan to repaint it. The sheetmetal is really straight so shoulnt b bad. Sorry for being long winded but im freakin excited. Hopefully i can read on here tommorow and figure out how to post pics so i can show this baby off. I was thinking of running 10w30 in it but after some searching seems theres alot of different opinons on oil for these farmalls so ill have to do some more research on that before i put the wrong oil on it. Far as i no the motors all origanal .

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Glad to hear you have a new toy.
When you get around to it, see if you can post some photos.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looks good from the photo posted. I know how you feel, I have my grandfathers '53Super W4 McCormick. My dad and I just finished restoring and painting it. Always looking for a reason to fire it up and go for a ride!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks jimwv. Im still tryin to figure out how to post pics from my phone. Was it the wrong size or howd u get it to go through. Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks jimwv. Im still tryin to figure out how to post pics from my phone. Was it the wrong size or howd u get it to go through. Thanks
what i do from my phone is send them to my email then save it to my desk top then upload here, good looking tractor by the way

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I went to the link you deleted above and just copied the 4th selection down under the picture and pasted it here :).

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
One of the nicer looking M's I have seen. And I'm super envious of those fenders... been lookin for a pair to put on my 400

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks von row. Im not sure what the fenders are off of. We kind of thought mabye an old massey or they look like the ones on my dads case vai. I dont think they are origanal. I like having the fenders gives me somewhere to lay my arm. Lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Really nice lookin' M you've got there, and being that it was your grandfathers makes it even nicer. Fenders look good too. I just installed a set on my M a couple weeks ago. I also noticed someone installed a live hydraulic pump in there for ya' too.

As far as oil goes, try to find out what oil your grandfather used, and do the same. You'll get a hundred opinions on it if you ask a hundred people. Not knowing what mine ran on before I went with straight 30W non detergent, until I rebuilt it, then I went with 15W-40.

For manuals I'd check binderbooks.com, they'll have everything you need.

Don't aplogize for gettin' excited about your tractor...happens to all of us or we wouldn't fool with 'em.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just like lots of other things; belt pulleys, pto, seat type, tire, rim & axle options, electric start, lights, mufflers, drawbars, lift-all, precleaners just to name a few, fenders were options.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just like lots of other things; belt pulleys, pto, seat type, tire, rim & axle options, electric start, lights, mufflers, drawbars, lift-all, precleaners just to name a few, fenders were options.
i see was that just on the m's or all there tractors, only ask because i have a farmall 140 an ih 424 they were later course and i had a cub, all of them have stock fenders make sense though cheaper for the farmer thats what its all about.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There were a ton of options for all the "Letter Series" tractors, and the list varied by model. As I have learned, fenders were standard on the "cultivision" tractors, Cubs, Super A, etc and optional on C, H, and M.

The utility platform of the 424 I would think would've required fenders on it as standard equipment.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There were a ton of options for all the "Letter Series" tractors, and the list varied by model. As I have learned, fenders were standard on the "cultivision" tractors, Cubs, Super A, etc and optional on C, H, and M.

The utility platform of the 424 I would think would've required fenders on it as standard equipment.
i see well that makes sense i have seen a lot of h's and now that this thought has been planted in my head i don't think ive seen but a couple with fenders. And the utility would almost be a necessity as close as you are to them big tires. The fenders in the m above compliment that tractor perfect if there are not stock grandpa had a good eye for looks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont no if they r stock or not but they were on it when my grandpa bought it years ago. Granted he didnt buy new so maybe they were added before he bought it. The guy that he bought it from just used it to mow with a pull behind woods finish mower and the wetlines were hooked to the lift cylinder on the mower. Either way i love the way it looks with the fenders. My kids cant wait for the rain to stop so they can ride on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im still having problems shoowing pictures from my phone but this should take you to my photbucket acct. And you can look at the pics if u want

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol now that it works ill c if i can get more than one pic to look at. Sorry for the confusion

1 - 20 of 26 Posts