My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Murph
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions, it needs a new cutting edge. Are these still available from Deere, are there aftermarket I can buy cheaper that are good quality.? How do I hook up my hydraulic hoses, it's a single cylinder and my 300 has 4 hydraulic ports.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
Right side ports(sitting on Tractor) are for the raise/ lower cylinder. Inside Lever activates it. Hose on the back of the cylinder goes into Top Connection and the Front hose goes into the bottom connection. I just looked and that is how my 54 is connected and works with pulling lever raises blade.
Cat. 1079 on JD parts Web site is the parts for it.
M75674 Blade cutter/edge $57.20 at my Dealer. Still available by order.:fing32:

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Sonny,is Big Brutis drag line still in Pittsburg?

·
26,672 Posts
Easy way to hook it up. Set the bottom pins into the grooves on the bottom of hitch plate. hook up hoses. Pull the top spring loaded pins out and lock them. Start tractor and use hyd lever to pivot the frame up and then release the spring loaded pins. Much easier than killing your back. I unhook it the same way.:fing32:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I found ; that the Left (sitting in the seat) Couplers Are for the left/outside lever; That is the one that has the Float position. It works for me .. I have had owners hook them up different ways. It's up to the owner;;

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I found ; that the Left (sitting in the seat) Couplers Are for the left/outside lever; That is the one that has the Float position. It works for me .. I have had owners hook them up different ways. It's up to the owner;;
Unless someone has changed something.. the inside lever should have the float position. inside for up and down, outside for angling the blade.

·
26,672 Posts
Unless someone has changed something.. the inside lever should have the float position. inside for up and down, outside for angling the blade.
:ditto:As far as I know/learned, the inside lever has the float in it in the 300 Series Tractors, from the factory. Guess someone could have changed it?

·
Murph
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everybody, the cutting edge is worn so bad I'm not going to use the blade until a new one is installed, I'm going to fabricate one myself with a strip of 1 1/2 steel from TSC. I removed the blade from the front bracket and hooked up the hydraulics just to make sure everything operated correctly.

One thing I noticed is the cutting edge wore very unevenly, even the skid shoe, wonder what caused this to happen.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When the blade is angled it seems to wear the trailing edge more. I'm guessing there is more pressure on it due to the way the blade sits when angled. If you angle the blade with it raised you will see the following edge is lower.

·
26,672 Posts
The edges do show more wear than the center of the blade because of angling. But also the previous owner could have run the front tire at lower psi than the other side causing it to have uneven pressure on that side. Just a thought. :howdy:

·
Murph
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the blade is angled it seems to wear the trailing edge more. I'm guessing there is more pressure on it due to the way the blade sits when angled. If you angle the blade with it raised you will see the following edge is lower.
Rick, that does make sense, the angle closest to the driver or I guess the side pushing snow out is going to get the majority of the weight of the snow or down force thus causing that side to wear faster than the other. The previous owner did have a really long (maybe 200 ft.) narrow driveway so I'm assuming he used mainly one side of the plow.

·
Murph
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right side ports(sitting on Tractor) are for the raise/ lower cylinder. Inside Lever activates it. Hose on the back of the cylinder goes into Top Connection and the Front hose goes into the bottom connection. I just looked and that is how my 54 is connected and works with pulling lever raises blade.
Cat. 1079 on JD parts Web site is the parts for it.
M75674 Blade cutter/edge $57.20 at my Dealer. Still available by order.:fing32:
Another question...

I have decided this single cylinder blade just don't cut it for me and I have my eye on a dual cylinder. I currently have my tiller attached (just thought I'd keep it on for rear weight) and one of my hydraulic levers are used lift and lower it. If I attach the dual cylinder blade will I have to take the tiller off or will the front hydraulics somehow override the rear lift. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
if your tiller lifts off the rockshaft cylinder, you can install a lock out valve to cut off the hydraulic flow to the cylinder. raise it up all the way, and lock the valve, as long as the cylinder dont bleed down fluid it should stay up, maybe you can turn the desk screw all the way in to lock the rockshaft up?
either would work

·
Murph
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if your tiller lifts off the rockshaft cylinder, you can install a lock out valve to cut off the hydraulic flow to the cylinder. raise it up all the way, and lock the valve, as long as the cylinder dont bleed down fluid it should stay up, maybe you can turn the desk screw all the way in to lock the rockshaft up?
either would work
Just got home and I bought the angle blade, couldn't pass up the deal.

Where is the desk screw? That sounds like the easiest way to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.