My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
5,538 Posts
To me the biggest mistake that most people make is trying to mulch the grass when it is too long. I have always been a bagger guy myself however if you mulch correctly there should not be any grass visible on top when you are done. Same with side discharge. The staggered deck Lawnboys do a very good job of shooting out the grass and dispersing it however just like mulching, if you wait too long, you will not get that pristine look when you are done. My Lawnboys have a mix of the old style flat blade with the stiffener as well as the Tri-Cut blade. I can't really tell any difference when bagging between the two. Not sure if a mulch fan is the answer. Mow long and cut often. Bill

Reactions: 1652

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To me the biggest mistake that most people make is trying to mulch the grass when it is too long. I have always been a bagger guy myself however if you mulch correctly there should not be any grass visible on top when you are done. Same with side discharge. The staggered deck Lawnboys do a very good job of shooting out the grass and dispersing it however just like mulching, if you wait too long, you will not get that pristine look when you are done. My Lawnboys have a mix of the old style flat blade with the stiffener as well as the Tri-Cut blade. I can't really tell any difference when bagging between the two. Not sure if a mulch fan is the answer. Mow long and cut often. Bill
Thankyou for your reply. I mow every other day, or every 2 days. I looked at the spreadsheet in the stickies section that listed this model as being set up for mulching so I figured I should leave it set up for that. I found the side discharge plate on Amazon so will order that and a new blade and it should work out good for sure that way. I like bagging myself too some for the nice look it leaves but I have a couple other good baggers so this one will just be discharge.

Plus in all honesty, I have no clue how the lawn boy bagging systems work. Theres a chute, side bag, rear bag, rods etc. I'd have no clue where to start.

·
Turf consultant
133 Posts
This time of year, I'm probably not cutting often enough but my 10323 has developed a nasty habit of having the left rear wheel pick up the grass clippings and deposit them in streaks across the yard. I think it's unique to the steel deck as I don't ever recall my 10515 (awaiting rebuild) doing that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This time of year, I'm probably not cutting often enough but my 10323 has developed a nasty habit of having the left rear wheel pick up the grass clippings and deposit them in streaks across the yard. I think it's unique to the steel deck as I don't ever recall my 10515 (awaiting rebuild) doing that.
Thats what mine does in the thickest part of yard too.

·
5,538 Posts
You know, I'm not sure when Lawnboy actually came out with the mulch fan. Could have been when they introduced the Duraforce. Perhaps someone will know. I did look at the parts list for your mower. The product details call the mower a mulcher and there is a mulch plate shown in the parts drawing as well as a side discharge plate. They do not, however, show the mulch fan as a standard part. The parts drawing does appear to show a Tri-Cut blade. I would just use the Tri-Cut blade with the standard mulch plate. Bill

I searched the mulch fan part number(s) on ereplacementparts.com. 92-1630 replaced with 99-6351-03. They show. the models this was used on and it appears to me that they are all Silver and Gold series Duraforce models. If anyone can confirm that the mulch fans were first introduced on the Duraforce models please do so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You know, I'm not sure when Lawnboy actually came out with the mulch fan. Could have been when they introduced the Duraforce. Perhaps someone will know. I did look at the parts list for your mower. The product details call the mower a mulcher and there is a mulch plate shown in the parts drawing as well as a side discharge plate. They do not, however, show the mulch fan as a standard part. The parts drawing does appear to show a Tri-Cut blade. I would just use the Tri-Cut blade with the standard mulch plate. Bill

I searched the mulch fan part number(s) on ereplacementparts.com. 92-1630 replaced with 99-6351-03. They show. the models this was used on and it appears to me that they are all Silver and Gold series Duraforce models. If anyone can confirm that the mulch fans were first introduced on the Duraforce models please do so.
I appreciate you taking the time to look it up. I will order a new tri-cut and side discharge plate.

·
5,538 Posts
Yes! Thanks! Re looked at the list on ereplacementparts.com. Appears the earliest mowers using the mulch fan were 1993 era F series. Thanks for clearing that up. Bill

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
igave up using lawnboys due to the flaws of the staggered deck . I use one old Tecumseh powered one as a trash lawn mower and side shoot it. fine for this duty. for me the ability to trim on one side was the real deal breaker and the final nail was the introduction of the Kawasaki fj 180v to the world. . this rendered the lawnboys power advantage moot. sad to say my whole fleet of lawnboys hasn't seen any comm duty in 3 years now

·
Turf consultant
133 Posts
I have a whole tranny on eBay right now. For how cheap they are I would just swap it out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts