My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been trying to get a Lawn-Boy for a while now. I got one finally. Advertised as self propelled, it is not. Guy couldnt get it started, with the carb on backwards that shouldn't be surprising. Put the carb back on right, got the throttle/choke working semi decent, she runs. Coil only seems to have 1 screw? Other hole doesent really line up? F engine I think.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,733 Posts
Congrats!

Reactions: 1652

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, its a lot less cantankerous than my F engined John Deere.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,733 Posts
A lot of coils look very similar. F engines used two different ones from my understanding, depending on what model and year it was manufactured. I think the difference was normally grounded or normally open when running.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like theres 2 styles of coil, and this one is wrong, and missing the other screw to go into the correct coil.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,943 Posts
Those are nice little mowers. I have the 1992 version of that one (model 680543) and bought it new and it is still running strong. The Walbro carb with choke only rocks! In my opinion you are better off that it isn't a self-propel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are nice little mowers. I have the 1992 version of that one (model 680543) and bought it new and it is still running strong. The Walbro carb with choke only rocks! In my opinion you are better off that it isn't a self-propel.
Yeah, I'm glad its not self propelled. Ordered a coil off Amazon, will take the 1 screw to the hardware store and find a match. It seems to have a lot of compression so I think its worth getting going, correctly. Between the coil, and the worn down flywheel brake, I feel sorry for that poor flywheel, but, it made spark before, so, I assume it will again. Curious, where is a good place to get a side discharge plate for it, I thought thats what was on it but its a mulch, that explains some things. I assume its blasphemy to hack up the mulch plate.

I did disable the flywheel brake, so a toggle switch will be added.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,943 Posts
Yeah, I'm glad its not self propelled. Ordered a coil off Amazon, will take the 1 screw to the hardware store and find a match. It seems to have a lot of compression so I think its worth getting going, correctly. Between the coil, and the worn down flywheel brake, I feel sorry for that poor flywheel, but, it made spark before, so, I assume it will again. Curious, where is a good place to get a side discharge plate for it, I thought thats what was on it but its a mulch, that explains some things. I assume its blasphemy to hack up the mulch plate.

I did disable the flywheel brake, so a toggle switch will be added.
I'd look at ebay for a good used side discharge plate. I don't know if Toro still has those available new or not, but if they do I think it will be black, and fairly pricey.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would gladly swap you a discharge plate for mulch plate. Only problem is I’m in Canada. Shipping might be more than you want to pay.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

New coil installed. Is the rpm set too high? It's not happy about starting if I set the governor lower.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,943 Posts

New coil installed. Is the rpm set too high? It's not happy about starting if I set the governor lower.
Where do you have the throttle set? It's hard for me to tell via a video, but it sounds like it's running around 3200 to 3300, maybe a bit higher. The best way to dial these in is with a tachometer. Do you have a tach?

Edit: Sounds really good, I can hear the nice burble, not too rich, not too lean. Really smooth, it's obvious to me that the blade and rotating assembly is balanced well. Good job!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where do you have the throttle set? It's hard for me to tell via a video, but it sounds like it's running around 3200 to 3300, maybe a bit higher. The best way to dial these in is with a tachometer. Do you have a tach?
The throttle was broken, so the governor spring is hooked stationary, just have to hand operate the choke. No, unfortunately I dont have access to a tach, on my list of things to buy. Thankyou for your response.

Is it supposed to be around 3000 - 3100?

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,943 Posts
The throttle was broken, so the governor spring is hooked stationary, just have to hand operate the choke. No, unfortunately I dont have access to a tach, on my list of things to buy. Thankyou for your response.

Is it supposed to be around 3000 - 3100?
Yes 3200 plus, or minus 100. Here is an ebay link to basically the same tach that I have. It works great, even when the leads get sucked up under the deck and shortened. LOL Those darn LBs have good suction.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes 3200 plus, or minus 100. Here is an ebay link to basically the same tach that I have. It works great, even when the leads get sucked up under the deck and shortened. LOL Those darn LBs have good suction.

Thankyou!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really like this mower. Relatively light and leaves a pretty nice cut. Would it be worth it to order a mulch fan? And as far as blades, is the tri-cut the way to go? It has a tri-cut on it I believe but it's a lil old and haggard, it doesn't mulch very effectively at the moment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts