My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Looks interesting. Looks like something worth considering, but then I’ve got one more thing taking up floor space. Looks like you do more welding than I intend to do, but.… Just a few questions that came to mind.
  • Would you share dimensions - overall, material used, length of pieces?
  • What size are the wheels?
  • How did you keep things square?
  • Did you weld the corner tubes on the outside and grind flat?
  • How much weight do you think it is good for?
  • Are the slat spacing wide enough for typical clamps?
  • What would you do differently if you did it again?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks interesting. Looks like something worth considering, but then I’ve got one more thing taking up floor space. Looks like you do more welding than I intend to do, but.… Just a few questions that came to mind.
Sure. I can get exact dimensions for you in the morning (ran out to the shop) but can say that it stands 32 1/2" tall. The casters are 3" and are rated 150lbs each. The legs and frame around the top are 3" X 1 1/2" rectangular tubing 3/16" thick. Not sure what you mean about how it is welded. The braces across the bottom are 1 1/2"" square tubing 3/16" thick. The top is 2" angle 3/16" thick. The materials are left over from an ATV Lift I recently completed. I didn't have this nice work space to clamp things down so I used strong magnets to hold things while I tacked. This welding table will allow me to insert clamps thru the top so I can hold parts down while I weld. Nice. I bet the table is around 4 or 500 lbs. I can't lift it anymore since adding the top. Had to use my homemade tractor bucket forks to move it around. Not sure how much it will hold but then I wouldn't think I would be building a battle ship on it.

I use a Lincoln A/C stick welder. AC 225.

In the beginning I thought I would add places to hang tools around it but then I usually weld near the workbench so talked myself out of that. And, I was going to add pipes that would extend out from under the top to expand the work area. Too much weight for the wheels. I also thought I would need levelers that would extend down to the floor. My concrete floor is not that level. Who knows, I can add these things as needed. Overall, I'm happy with how it came out.

I understand about your floor space concerns. This table will be used for other tasks such as wooodworking. And, for storing things on. As you know, ANY FLAT SURFACE SOON BECOMES A PILE OF JUNK.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you weld the corner tubes on the outside and grind flat?
I think you are asking how I joined the horizontal rectangular tubing to the vertical legs. Yes, butt welded to the legs both on the front and back and the 2 end pieces as well. I always grind my welds smooth.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I saw the lift in your picture and was curious about it. Looks good as well. If I make a table, it will likely be much lighter duty and I’ve been doing the cement floor trick too and I too am getting too old for much of that. That’s why I ask about yours. Thanks for all the details.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw the lift in your picture and was curious about it. Looks good as well. If I make a table, it will likely be much lighter duty and I’ve been doing the cement floor trick too and I too am getting too old for much of that. That’s why I ask about yours. Thanks for all the details.
Welcome. I think this is a link to the lift: (9) ATV Lift | My Tractor Forum

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Nice project! Those welds at top of the legs look perfect!!

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
Thanks. I'm not a trained welder. Using an AC 225 Lincoln. I think it is hard to make nice welds with AC. So, I grind and file my welds.
I like running 6013 rod on my AC225 Tombstone. It's really easy to make your welds look good with it. Below is a receiver hitch adapter I fabbed for my 3pt hitch a couple weeks ago. What rod are you running?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like running 6013 rod on my AC225 Tombstone. It's really easy to make your welds look good with it. Below is a receiver hitch adapter I fabbed for my 3pt hitch a couple weeks ago. What rod are you running?
I've been using 6011 rods. I'll try 6013's next go-round. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
I've been using 6011 rods. I'll try 6013's next go-round. Thanks.
6013 will lay down much better than 6011. Not as rough an appearance

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Nice addition to the shop; also useful for clamping up wooden windows + doors for gluing.

It stays flat and the wood glue won't stick to the steel.

the open design will hopefully stop you from covering it with small things...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[QUOTE="Mark in Portugal, post: 12672218

the open design will hopefully stop you from covering it with small things...

[/QUOTE]

Good point Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts