My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Impressive orchard! The corrugated pipe protectors are a good idea.
So far I have lost two trees to voles during the Winter time. I have bait stations out for them baited with Zinc Phoside. I also go around if I see vole holes and put a teaspoon of Zinc Phoside down the holes. I was using mulch which kept down the weeds but harbored voles.:tango_face_sad:

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,896 Posts
Very nice!
Will you be doing anything with the seconds/damaged apples? My dad used to buy several bushels from the local orchard and press his own cider from the seconds they couldn't sell.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Very nice!
Will you be doing anything with the seconds/damaged apples? My dad used to buy several bushels from the local orchard and press his own cider from the seconds they couldn't sell.

I will less than perfect apples for less. Anything that hits the ground is chucked over the fence for the deer. They will wait outside the fence when I am working and scarf up rolling apples before they stop rolling.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Few pics of the crop going to market.

Attachments

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,027 Posts
Those apples look delicious. And BIG! I think it's amazing what you've done, and I really enjoy when you post. And I wish I was your neighbor, 'cause I loooooove eating apples..............do you ship?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Those apples look delicious. And BIG! I think it's amazing what you've done, and I really enjoy when you post. And I wish I was your neighbor, 'cause I loooooove eating apples..............do you ship?
One of my customers liked the apples so much he wanted to ship some to his son. Sadly once picked, apples really need refrigeration and they wouldn't survive the shipping ordeal.

I just sold Honeycrisp as 2nds to local apple stand. I gave them a bushel of the Wolf River, (giant apple in the pic with the tennis ball) and 33 apples made a bushel. My wife used 3 to make a pie.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looking forward to next year. Will be really upping the anty with a much better spray program next year. Bought an 8' tower sprayer and had to get a bigger tractor to run it. Case DX33 W/L130 loader, it really dwarfs the JD 2305.

The Sprayer.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts