My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2005 I bought the 40 gallon Fimco trailer sprayer with the 2.1 gal. electric pump with a 7 nozzle boom. This has been a great little sprayer and with the 40 gal capacity it's just right for my 3 acres. Last year I upgraded the pump to the 3.8 gal per minute pump and switched to flood jet nozzles hoping top get more recirculation to keep the product in suspension. I use 28% nitrogen for fert and it's heavy and needs to be recirculated while spraying.

If anyone is looking to buy one I might suggest going with the gas version and roller pump if your looking to spray anything heavy so you can use the by pass to keep everything in suspension. The by pass on the electric pump leaves a little bit to be desired for recirculating and spraying at the same time.

Overall I'm would give it 9 out of 10 rating. For spraying regular herbicides and other liquid fert it does extremely well. slkpk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the review. Where do you get your N from?

I have been using granular type fert. for years but want to switch to a liquid based product. We purchased a new house with more land I feel a liquid based product maybe cheaper / easier to apply... Plus, I can more easily control what I put down.

·
Diesel Power
1,601 Posts
I have had the same sprayer for a couple of years, and like it also. I spray the garden, trees, and around the house with insecticide, the spray gun works great. The nozzle can be adjusted from a fine mist to a stream that will go more than 20 feet. I use the boom to spray weed killer on the lawn, it covers 10 feet, and the pressure can be adjusted with the bypass valve so you don't get too much misting if it is a little breezy. I haven't used it with fertilizer. I would also give it a 9 out of 10, great sprayer for the money. I got it on sale at Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If anyone is looking to buy one I might suggest going with the gas version and roller pump if your looking to spray anything heavy so you can use the by pass to keep everything in suspension. The by pass on the electric pump leaves a little bit to be desired for recirculating and spraying at the same time.
You could spend ~$20 on a bilge pump and stick it inside the tank for recirculation. The small ones only use a couple amps.

·
Diesel Power
1,601 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could spend ~$20 on a bilge pump and stick it inside the tank for recirculation. The small ones only use a couple amps.
Great idea and thanks. slkpk

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the review. Where do you get your N from?

I have been using granular type fert. for years but want to switch to a liquid based product. We purchased a new house with more land I feel a liquid based product maybe cheaper / easier to apply... Plus, I can more easily control what I put down.
I get the 28% from Farm Service. Any AG dealer should have it in bulk.
http://store.interstateproducts.com/products/Fertilizers
http://www.natureslawn.com/index.html

I haven't tried the natures lawn yet. I've used the interstate stuff several times and have had good luck with it. slkpk

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
slkpk,

Can you post a few pics of your sprayer or point me to a few you have already posted. Thanks.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Diesel Power
1,601 Posts
Here are some pictures of mine. I mounted the valve stand and assembly different from what the instructions said to move it back farther from the tongue to clear the three point hitch on my 445.

slkpk, I read the other thread, could you give me some information about the flood jet tips you used? It would be very helpful to be able to lower the spray bar when it gets breezy.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My tank is a little different design and my pump is out in front. slkpk

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Thanks for the pics slkpk and andyb, your setups look great. If I want my lawn to look any better than it does, I might need to invest in one of these units.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a pic of the red flood jet tip and the grey one is a fan spray tip.

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The product sprays down bouncing on the flat surface and then goes out in larger droplets.
compared to spraying out in a fan pattern straight down. With the flood jet tips you can drop the height of the spray boom. slkpk

·
Diesel Power
1,601 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my area Farm & Fleet seem to have the best selection of spray tips on hand. slkpk

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
andyb, thanks for the pics of your sprayer and yesterday I got my boom put on correctly. I will be spraying some 2-4-D as soon as the rain lets up this week. slkpk

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
slkpk overall do you think Fimco makes a good product? My dealer just priced
us a Reddick 55 gal. 3 pt sprayer with 18' boom, hand gun and nickel roller
pump and the quote was north of $1900. I can get a 55 gal. Fimco for about
1/3 of that. I personally don't see how there could be that much difference in them.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
slkpk overall do you think Fimco makes a good product? My dealer just priced
us a Reddick 55 gal. 3 pt sprayer with 18' boom, hand gun and nickel roller
pump and the quote was north of $1900. I can get a 55 gal. Fimco for about
1/3 of that. I personally don't see how there could be that much difference in them.
I think they make a good product. A cheap roller pump will cost you $169 & up at TSC. You can invest hundreds of dollars on a pump. I haven't looked at a Fimco 3 point sprayer and boom. It seems to me $1900 is a lot for a sprayer when they are all about the same. Plastic tanks, 1/2 inch rubber hose, tips, spray gun & boom.

Pumps and tips is where the difference in pricing probably is. Some tips depending on what you get can run $4 & up a piece. The only other difference could be in the strength of the 3 point frame itself. slkpk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts