My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the winters food put up. I got about 4 quarts of string beans frozen and started picking berrys today. I picked about 5 gallons of chokcherrys. I've got 3 gallons on the stove to make jelly/syrup and the rest will start a batch of wine with tomorrow. "Maters are a little slow, no ripe ones yet. Beets ready to be canned anytime but it doesn't hurt them any to wait. The first corn is coming in, not mine though as I buy that. I will probably freeze up some. I've been eating new potatoes for a month and lots of yellow squash and cucumbers. Life is good.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
yes seems the maters are a little slow this year.wish I had that many choke cherrys to make wine.that should be some good brew.what kind of yeast you use in the fermenter.I,m still waiting on the corn to.I use a small top milk pail to ferment in works real good.cheese cloth over top with rubber band to hold it.salute.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes seems the maters are a little slow this year.wish I had that many choke cherrys to make wine.that should be some good brew.what kind of yeast you use in the fermenter.I,m still waiting on the corn to.I use a small top milk pail to ferment in works real good.cheese cloth over top with rubber band to hold it.salute.
I'm not real sure on the yeast. My sister and I do it together and she does the techy part, I just pick the fruit, help with the racking and bottling. I do know she uses invert sugar and adds sugar at several intervals.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well you better get busy filling that celler,we didn't have no rain for two months and sounds like I'm farther along than you,,wine,,better off buying it,,kinda like honey.:drunkie:

·
10,839 Posts
Deer got our beets, wife is still touchy on that one. Good year on the spuds, though.

Glad to hear your crop is turning out good.

·
Super Moderator
29,564 Posts
my veggie garden is about done, the heat has killed all but the maters and okra. the maters have slowed to a crawl though.

i've got pears coming off the tree by the 5 gallon bucket load. gonna put up a bunch of pear butter and some mixed jelly this weekend. i still have 4 gallons of plum juice in the freezer, plus we have a big bag of apples so i think pear/apple/plum for the mix should be good. also will have enough for regular canned pears or pear preserves, plus still give away a bunch.

also gonna make some apple butter, i love that stuff!

at teh rate we are canning this year, we are going to run out of shelf space soon. so far we have bought about 6 or 7 dozen jars in addition to the couple dozen we already had! my wifehas rearranged the pantry once and will likely have to do it again soon.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deer ate off my sweet peas early on, they are a nuisance.
I usually can 30-40 quarts of tomatoes/salsa. About 10 or so on beets and beet pickles. Last year I canned some plums too.
davidg, those pears are wonderful dehydrated too.

·
Super Moderator
29,564 Posts
Cat, it is like apple butter. basically pear sauce, cinamon, nutmeg, allspice, and sugar. cook it down over night in a crock pot, add some more sauce and sugar, cook for a few more hours and then can it. it will have the consistency of butter, but is a fruit spread. i made my first small batch last year and ran out quickly. so this year i will make a lot more. my pear tree is over loaded thisw year, and i don't plan on letting much go to waste.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
david g.sounds like the local super stores gonna be missing a lot of cash from your house.good for you.if I had all thoses pears I would probably be making a little perry.less your not a sipping man.as far as the tec with nature she does all the work.add sugar yeast and water to fermenter with fruit juice .she does all the rest.just have to bottle when done working.last part for willowbilly.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Yes indeed, it's a good feeling! I canned 14 quarts of beans a week ago and planted in the second crop (300 feet of beans) I have a lot of 'maters hitting now and all the Roma's are getting frozen whole so they can be thawed and made into sauce when I get enough for huge batches. I am also getting quite a few of the big & better boy's peaking.

Corn, I think will be a non-canning bust this year. The plants are heavily staggered in plant date (not by choice) and I am fighting those **** corn borers too.
I did freeze two ziploc bags of sweet peppers and we have a lot of acorn squash peaking too.

I have already made a lot of my jam for the year, but more will come later in the season.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got into some awesome chokecherry picking and I am making jelly right now. I picked about 8 gallons of berrys so will also start a batch of chokecherry wine. The wild grapes look to be a good year too but they are a month out.
I should be canning beets but this 95 degree weather keeps me out of the kitchen during the day.
I just had my first ripe tomato a couple days ago. I have several pints of string beans in the freezer and they are about done, can't keep the grasshoppers out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts