My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, a recent post has me worried and I'm not sure if I should fill the axle with SAE 90 or ATF.?

The tractor model is 1476, serial is over 2xxxxx
The hydrostatic system has no reservoir.

The first image is the rear of the transaxle. I have not seen that type of plug on a 1476.

the second image is the bottom of the transaxle. The top arrow points to the drain plug (the photo angle makes it seem high) The bottom arrow points to the hydrostatic low-pressure side leading directly into the transaxle casing. Seems like that is a give away that I should NOT use SAE 90 and I should fill the transaxle with tranny fluid.

Hmm, I never noticed the bottom was that rusty. Might have to do something.

Attachments

·
5,525 Posts
You dont have a 1476.
A 1476 is a large frame from the looks of the pics you have a tube frame wth a eaton 10 in it.

The eaton 10 takes ATF in the hydro pump well the axle take gear lube.
The 2 plugs on the axel is for putting in and takeing out the gear lube.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your good suggestions. I took a breath and recorded the model tag, then looked in the manual again. Still fuzzled.

Tag says model 1456, serial 0301421

Sorry, I totally mis-remembered the numbers. Bad day. I don't want to make it worse by destroying the gears with the wrong fluids - I have already run it for a while.

The hydro definitely does not have a separate reservoir (item 2) and does connect to the gear case (item 9). The way I interpret the manual below, the hydro fill plug and gear case plug are the same thing. Is that correct? Or, is there is a cooling loop in the gearbox to keep the hydro fluid separate from the gear lube?

And to make it more interesting, my gear case fill plug does not look remotely like the ones in the manuals.(sigh)

From service manual lube table (picture for Item 9 seems to have loaded before Item 2):

Item 2. Hydrostatic transmission -
type: ATF A
Level: Add to cold mark on dipstick. H-14 serial number 0200101 and newer with sump cooled hydrostatics only Add to Plug Level.

Item 9. Differential - For H-14 serial number 0200101 and newer with sump cooled hydrostatics only, see (2) above
[otherwise]
type: SAE90 gear lube
Level: Add to Plug Level

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I got a H14 and h16 like that. If the oil in the rearend is red it is hydro type FA. If it is a yellow color, gear oil. I use NAPA Type FA Auto Trans oil. Have used it for yers of plowing, and works relly well. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... If the oil in the rearend is red it is hydro type FA. If it is a yellow color, gear oil.. I use NAPA Type FA Auto Trans oil ... for years of plowing, and works really well. Hope this helps!!
Thanks very much, that does help. The original fluid was so old it was black and indistinguishable from red or yellow. It certainly was thin, not 90 wt. Now I feel confident the hydro fluid is proper for this series transaxle.

I'm glad this forum exists.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Aright! Glad to hear you got it- I love those transmissions- indestrucable!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts