My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a silly question, but how do you fuel up your tractors?

I ask because for the first 10-12 years that we lived here, we had a gas station right down the street, about 8 houses away. I simply drove the tractor to the gas station.

But two things have happened, one the gas station is gone, now just a repair shop and two the road is much busier, not someplace I like to go with the tractor.

But 5 gallon cans of gasoline are heavy and awkward. I have considered getting some sort of fuel pump system. Do any of you use anything like that?

Ideas?

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I live about 5 miles from the Gas Station so I just tote mine in a 5 gallon can. If something happens and I need to fill all the tractors up, it takes a few trips with the two gas cans I have.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I switched to 2 gal. cans, have 5 of them, much easier to handle. I always keep the tank on the tractor topped off, hope to prevent moisture to condense.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a system for storing and pumping fuel, I think it is called a Gas Caddy. Depending on your transportion you can take it to any gas station to have it filled or you can fill it by toting gas containers from the station and pouring it in the Caddy. Eliminate a step and possible mess by gettint it refilled at the station.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I still hoof a 5-gal can around, and it's one with the new spill-proof spout. I hate it. I fill the tractor to the brim and then pour the rest into a smaller can with a normal spout. I use that can for the small OPE stuff. I see what you mean about lifting and lowering a big heavy can though.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still hoof a 5-gal can around, and it's one with the new spill-proof spout. I hate it. I fill the tractor to the brim and then pour the rest into a smaller can with a normal spout. I use that can for the small OPE stuff. I see what you mean about lifting and lowering a big heavy can though.
I have two 5 gal cans, one with the new "safety spout" as well. You can fall asleep waiting for 5 gals of gas to get out of that thing.

I'm going to look farther into the options.

Sheldon

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have driven mine to the gas station- about 1/2 mile away on a state road. But only on the weekends- too much traffic during the week. Otherwise, a 2 gallon can with the worthless new spout.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
4 5-gallon plastics with non-carb nozzles, 1 5-gallon Blitz metal can with non-carb spout, and 4 2.5-gallon with non-carb spouts and a pickup truck that I can get 30 gallons out of if needed. All go to BJ's 6 miles away for filling most of the time.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Due to the short life of fuel these days, I keep 2 - 5 gallon cans with the non-safety spouts. I used to keep 4, now just 2. Burning ~4 gallons a week I go through them pretty quick (and Stabil Marine) but also keeps the fuel fresher. As I age I may switch to smaller cans but I keep to the 5's for the Gravelys and a pair of 1 gallons for the 50:1 and 24:1 mix.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
I used to fill-up with two five gallon plastic cans, one of which was a non-venting, safety can that takes forever to dispense. First thing I did was turn it into a venting can, which was a little better. I really don't like the Blitz cans and have since gone to a 5 gal and 2 gal (which is much easier for toting through the yard and lifting to fill) Eagle type II cans with flex spouts. These were not cheap, but are very high quality. Considered one of those 15 gal caddies, as I fill my wife's car frequently, but in the end went for the Eagle's. Should last a lifetime. Great cans.

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,823 Posts
It is becoming more of an issue. I've never had a gas station near enough to consider driving the Gravely to. I actually thought about loading it into the back of the pickup to take it to the gas station,:banghead3 but that just doesn't seem practical...

I still heft the 5 gallon cans (old spout type) when picking up gas, but transfer to the 2.5 gallon cans when I get them home - so much easier to manage pouring into small tractors and equipment from the lighter cans. I can see that within another 10+ years, I may have to rethink the weight of a 5 gallon can. I figure I should probably be in good enough shape at the age of 70 to still do that, but by then perhaps wise enough to decide not to! :fing32:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a 55 gallon plastic drum for diesel. When it gets low, I wrestle it into the truck and run the 2 miles to the co-op for about 20 gallons of off road and a jug of stabilizer. Diesel doesn't break down as fast as gasoline and once it cools down a bit and I start a major project I'm planning, I'll probably forgo the stabilizer and probably go 30 or 40 gallons at a time. The tough part is getting it back in the rack. What I'd like to do is add straps to the rack so I can keep the drum horizontal.
I fill a 2 gallon jug from the drum, but I really want to add a pump.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use two 5 gal plastic cans with the safety spouts, and one old 2.5 gal plastic can with an old style spout. This amount lasts about four months for me (I don't have much grass to mow). I dislike the safety spouts with a passion. They can stick open and then you have bear hug the upside down can and grab ahold of the spout with your other hand and force the spout to close by pulling up on the can. I like the idea of transferring the gas to a smaller can. Now that you guys have me thinking about this issue I'm going to make some changes to my fueling procedures.

I store my gas cans in the shed. I noticed last summer on a hot day that the cans were bulging due to built up pressure. That kind of freaked me out so now the spouts are left on loose enough so the cans can breath. To me the safety spouts aren't safe at all.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
I have a 6.x gallon plastic with conventional spout and a 2 gallon with non-vented spout (I think that's the only kind you can buy in MD now). It takes about $60 worth of gas to fill the machines I regularly use, so I don't. I don't run them enough to keep them full and not have some of it go bad. As a result, I tend to run out of gas a lot and always as far away from the gas can as possible. I got tired of lugging the 6.x can around and that's why I have the two gallon can. I have a nice old 5 gallon round metal can that needs a new gasket to get it back in the mix. If I ever remember to fix it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts