My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Again everyone, as i mentioned in one of my reply,s ,a big thank you for everyones help with my tractor,I did everything evryone mentioned and it,s perfect. Now to make sure i,m driving it correctly.
I own a massey ferguson 1085,with a cab,just had a 8 for blower with remotes installed,all works awsome.
I understand my 1st,2nd.and 3rd gear stuff and reverse.Were I,m confused in low and hight range and if I should be in hight range when blowing? I also have a lever on the left side of my console ,I think it said low speed and hight speed,when would I use that one. I did find the hight range [ lever right beside gear changer] to be a bit to fast while blowing.Doi keep in mind I,m in no rush to get the job done,I just don,t fully understand the options I have available to me here and not sure if I can be hurting the unit or not.
thanks again everyone.
Matt

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
Is the blower mounted on the rear so that you only have Reverse Low or Reverse High as gear choices while you're blowing? If so, I would probably stay in Reverse Low. What rpm's are you running the engine at while you're running the blower? In any given gear, increasing the engine rpm's will increase the speed, but you'll need to be near a certain rpm for the PTO to be turning at the right speed for the blower.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i have never been on your series of tractor, but it sounds like it is equipped with the ferguson mutipower system, ( the lever on the dash)this will allow you to have 12 different forward ratios and 3 in reverse, 3 speed transmission, 2 ranges, and the 2 posistion multi power system.

if it is working well then you should have no problems, but you need to know that the tractor will freewheel going down grade when the multi power lever is in the low? posistion i do believe, or it might be the high side. its been a while since i was on a ferguson. someone here will jump in with the right answer,

or you can check it out yourself, by driving down a small grade and shifting the multipower lever, when it starts to freewheel, do not shift it back untill you controll the speed with the brakes, do not abuse a working multi power by trying to shift it back into controlled side while under a fast freewheel, this can cause expensive repairs

the multi power system is a shift on the move torque amplifier that can be shifted without using the clutch. they where designed to let the tractor shift and apply more torqe, provinging a stronger pull when hitting a hard place pulling draft (plow,disk) instruments

most implements of this age are designed to work in the 4-5 mph range, any faster and you are going to tear something up eventually

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Nothing wrong with going slow. Especially for a beginner.Don't be afraid to STAB that clutch with your foot as soon as something doesn't look right. You will be amazed at how fast things can happen when something goes wrong. Never get off the machine with the blower engaged. You will have a lot of fun i can tell. Just always err on the side of safety. NEVER assume anything!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts