My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw this at Sioux City on 8-8-19.. it is one of 2 that r airworthy.. it was loaded with 500 ## bombs just in the bay they were dropped from..

click on the pics twice to enlarge them.. I did not get pics of the bombs..

the guy in the pics told us all about the B-29..

Attachments

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
Nice! I'm always fascinated by military power(USA's of course). Thanks Whirly. I really like history. Especially something you can put your hands on. Any more pics?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I saw that plane in Hickory NC a few years ago.
at that time it was the only one that could fly, I heard some people had rebuilt another one.
I was amazed at how modern it looked when it was more than 70 years old.
I read that the guns fired by remote control the gunners would aim at something and computer would decide witch of two guns to use.

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! I'm always fascinated by military power(USA's of course). Thanks Whirly. I really like history. Especially something you can put your hands on. Any more pics?
sadly there is no more pics..

my dad got the call the to report for service.. he worked for the telephone company.. they said he needed to stay home to keep the lines repaired.. back then we had ladies as operators at the switchboards..

I was born in ''45'' so FIFI may b older than me.. it makes proud to see one of them.. when I was young we saw a bunch of the B-29 go over our town.. they were made in Omaha Neb..

we saw on the news that one landed in Sioux City.. they charged $15 a head to see it.. also on the news tonight they had a lady that put the B-29's together..

·
21,425 Posts
I saw that plane in Hickory NC a few years ago.
at that time it was the only one that could fly, I heard some people had rebuilt another one.
I was amazed at how modern it looked when it was more than 70 years old.
I read that the guns fired by remote control the gunners would aim at something and computer would decide witch of two guns to use.
Someone was laying it on pretty thick. There were no computers that would fit in a plane back in WWII. The transistor (the main electronic component of computers) wasn't invented until 1947. Prior to then, vacuum tubes were used and a computer with the power of a Commodore VIC 20 (the first real computer for the masses) took up the space of a large room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Very cool aircraft Whirly, thanks for the pics. :thThumbsU Must've been a treat to see in person.
when I was a wee kid I saw a hundreds of them pass over our town.. they flew in formation like geese do.. when I saw the one landed in Sioux City I had to go there.. I got lost in when I saw the cockpit.. the guy was explaining everything..

I should have taken more pics..

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
Someone was laying it on pretty thick. There were no computers that would fit in a plane back in WWII. The transistor (the main electronic component of computers) wasn't invented until 1947. Prior to then, vacuum tubes were used and a computer with the power of a Commodore VIC 20 (the first real computer for the masses) took up the space of a large room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC
Well, read up on it:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a18343/the-cannons-on-the-b-29-bomber-were-a-mid-century-engineering-masterpiece/
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/the-b-29s-futuristic-cannons.html

They used analog computers to control the guns.

·
21,425 Posts
Thank you! Very interesting and enlightening. I appreciate the links.

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
Thanks for the links Dave.

That was years ago. Imagine what they do today...some pretty smart stuff!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Back in the early 1990s (I think) a B-29 was found where it had made an emergency landing on a glacier. I think fuel starvation was the emergency. Anyway, it was literally and intact B-29 but had suffered the rigors of decades of weather. A mission was set up and some guy spent hundreds of thousands on parts, repair teams, and managed to pull the mostly repaired ship out of the ice it was mired in. They had made several test run ups on the engines and had gotten it pretty much ready to fly out.
There is an auxiliary engine in the rear compartment they called the putt putt. I think it powered the ship during engine start and take off only. It burst into flame during a pre take off taxi, and it was a horrible sight to see that entire plane sitting there, repaired and flight ready, go up in smoke due to the putt putt's gas leak and subsequent fire. Heart breaking is not adequate to describe.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If interested, look up "Kee Bird".

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Back in the early 1990s (I think) a B-29 was found where it had made an emergency landing on a glacier. I think fuel starvation was the emergency. Anyway, it was literally and intact B-29 but had suffered the rigors of decades of weather. A mission was set up and some guy spent hundreds of thousands on parts, repair teams, and managed to pull the mostly repaired ship out of the ice it was mired in. They had made several test run ups on the engines and had gotten it pretty much ready to fly out.
There is an auxiliary engine in the rear compartment they called the putt putt. I think it powered the ship during engine start and take off only. It burst into flame during a pre take off taxi, and it was a horrible sight to see that entire plane sitting there, repaired and flight ready, go up in smoke due to the putt putt's gas leak and subsequent fire. Heart breaking is not adequate to describe.
I watched that, was awful to watch it go up in smoke after all the hours the team invested.

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
we went to the air museum the other day.. got this pic..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
This was a very interesting thread. I got lost in the second link posted and read a couple more stories too.
Next Saturday my brother and I are driving to the top of Maine (over 5 hours from here) to go to a former air force base because they have some kind of show going on and are supposed to be flying in a B-52. Hopefully we'll be getting some pics.

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was a very interesting thread. I got lost in the second link posted and read a couple more stories too.
Next Saturday my brother and I are driving to the top of Maine (over 5 hours from here) to go to a former air force base because they have some kind of show going on and are supposed to be flying in a B-52. Hopefully we'll be getting some pics.
the B-52 is a big plane.. it may have JET engines..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts