My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im looking at buying a fiat 411r backhoe for small farm use, its an early model mid sixtys i think, runs ok,a bit smokey as u would expect with an old tractor, ive heard that these tractors can b a bit of a lemon, is this true or is it maybe just someone has had a few reliability issues with thiers and hav given them a bad rap? my other chioce ia an early leyland 154, a bit dearer but maybe a better option,any opinions on which way to go would b greatly appreciated, thanks dan:greendr:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Don't know a thing about the Fiat Dan, but the Leyland was a good tractor. The only thing though, I don't know how good their backhoes were. PJ

Oh Dan, Do you live near Castlemain? I have a friend there named Peter Thomas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi paul, thanks, ive heard the old leylands were pretty good so maybe the way to go, i live about 1 hours drive from castlemaine , cheers dan

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Dan, don't walk away from the Fiat,, RUN!!!! Hard to get parts for!!!! Some models are OK, the 411R isn't one of them. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for the advice, i did run from the fiat as suggested by partsman,instead i just bought a jcb 3d series 2 with a leyland mtr,it does need some engine work but was at a price to good to refuse so hopefully worth the risk, they seem to be a good unit, i guess time will tell, and parts r easy to get here in aus, will keep u posted on how things go, cheers dan

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Take this comment from someone who collects vintage Triumph motorcycles.

FIAT=Fix It Again Tony.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts