My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Wanted one of these since I was a kid. Needs lots of work and that's okay.

The plow is one beefy unit, I hope it works well.

The purchase included a mower deck but I do not need it so it is FREE to anyone who wants to pick it up in NJ 08844. I have the rods and lift hangers if those are needed too.

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,606 Posts
Nice find. :thThumbsU I have only seen one of those in person and would like to have one also.

Reactions: rustyoldjunk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the manual if you need it. I downloaded it a while back in case I find a FF.
Thanks so much for the manual!

The plan is to use it as a plow tractor in the winter and a tow vehicle in the summer. Already ordered chains this morning.

Job #1 right now is fabricating a thin metal strip that joins the motion control lever to the drive linkage. The original was broken off so the lever was flopping around loose. Started test fitting a new one this morning

Also picked up 2 front tires and an inline fuse holder for the lights at TSC. The tires are original and cracked badly. Will do some sanding/painting of the wheels at the same with Rustoleum Smoke Grey

Also if no major flaw's are found might consider repainting the entire machine in the spring and using these decals (its unbelievable someone make a kit for such a rare machine so got to get them!)

https://www.redoyourhorse.com/craftsman-ff20-ff18-or-ff24-decal-set/

https://www.redoyourhorse.com/craftsman-ff-18-20-and-24-hood-decals-and-pin-striping-kit/

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mounted the Cat 0 arms today. The top link that came in transaction was bent and rusted solid and the vertical lift arms did not fit so had to get new ones and improvise

New more aggressive Deestone D838 tires arrived today and the ones above were returned to TSC.

·
Administrator
13,438 Posts
Sweet thread with a nice machine! Haven't gotten to see an FF in person but would love to! Keep the pictures coming :)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
When I was a kid these were brand new on the Sears showroom floor. Back when Sears was on top of it's game, and if they didn't have it we didn't need it.

Keep the updates coming, always liked the FF tractors!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

A great day for some front tire time

Thats for sure

After trying to break the wide-side bead on one of them for 45 minutes it was time to try some new tactics :)
No theres no stem in it LOL

hmmm no wonder!

Not sure yet how far I'll be taking the aesthetics on this beast but just in case, I cleaned, sanded, primed and painted. I dont want to take these tires back off again any time soon

Tires to be spooned on tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Nice! I'd like to find one also.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Did some more work today.

Replaced an inline fuse holder coming off the switch and now have the lights working

I bought some LED 1156 replacement bulbs for their brightness and low amp draw

But to my dismay only the right socket illuminates, even after swapping the bulbs around, still the right side only. Any ideas why this might be fella's?

Anyhoo, here is a "low and slow" pass for you. I feel like a king on this tractor its so big. Very smooth to operate too.

Next up is modifying the vertical lift arms because they are too long and as a result the horizontal arms touch the ground

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks for the idea Dave I will try reversing the polarity on one side and see what happens

Got the chains today. Need some bolt cutters to remove the extra links. There's not much clearance between the chain and the 3ph lift arms and can envision interference happening real quick

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks

Had a great time in the garage today

To ballast the tires I was going to pop the narrow bead and pour it in but the stem is on the wide-side so that was out.

So went and picked up a hand pump and 14 gallons at H-D for $36

It was really easy don't know why I waited this long to try it :)

Stopped at 6 gals, that is enough

Re-did the chains with the tires off. Had to cut 2 croos link sets out to make them snug enough for government work

Then took her and a Horse outside for some sun

Set the skid height using two stacked paint stirrers

The cutting edge has never been flipped

With it off I figured why not sand and paint it and the moldboard so the snow slides off better.

This piece arrived today

Just waiting for the drawbar now. The plan is to mount the 55lb cement wheel weights that came with the tractor on it for a total of ~210lbs of ballast. I like the notion of putting them on the bar so they're easier install/deinstall

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.