My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly large yard...about 45,000sqft. A few weeks ago I bought enough Scotts W/Summer Guard to do my yard. I thought I would save some money by doing it myself. It cost me almost $300.00:fing20:

I had thought about doing Scotts 4-step program but at that cost there is no way I can afford it.

A couple weeks ago I got some quotes from Lawn care companies. Long story short I made a deal with TruGreen. $140.00 per application for my entire yard.

Anyone else run into this big price difference. I thought surely I could do it cheaper myself but in my case I can't.

Dan

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
I've never priced a lawn care company because I assumed it would be too expensive for my 2.5 acre yard, I've always done it myself. Sounds like I should get an estimate.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Pfft! I'm way too cheap to buy Scotts and too cheap to pay a lawn care company. I buy agricultural fertilizer and apply it myself on my two acres for less than $100 a year.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Pfft! I'm way too cheap to buy Scotts and too cheap to pay a lawn care company. I buy agricultural fertilizer and apply it myself on my two acres for less than $100 a year.
I'm too cheap to buy Scotts too, I usually buy what ever Lowes has on sale. What type of agricultural fertilizer do you use?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
i get the generic stuff from the co-op or feed store, make sure the numbers are good on it, it dont hardly cost anything but my yard is green as can be and thick like carpet

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
i get the generic stuff from the co-op or feed store, make sure the numbers are good on it, it dont hardly cost anything but my yard is green as can be and thick like carpet
:ditto:
It says Crop King and 46-0-0 on the bag. I put on about 1/4 bag to the acre maybe 4 or 5 times a year. At first I bought it from the local sod farmer as that's what he used but then I found out where he gets it from and got it for less.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
:ditto:
It says Crop King and 46-0-0 on the bag. I put on about 1/4 bag to the acre maybe 4 or 5 times a year. At first I bought it from the local sod farmer as that's what he used but then I found out where he gets it from and got it for less.
Thanks.:fing32:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the agricultural fertilizer liquid or granular? I assume the 46-0-0 means that it is all nitrogen. Do you know if it is slow release nitrogen. I don't mean to split hairs but I'm just learning about all this stuff and am definitely interested in this option. $100 a year....WOW. I would love that.

Thanks much, Dan

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
It's granular and no, it is not slow release. That is why I spread it so thin and so often. I use a broacast spreader in a criss-cross pattern. I wait until the grass is long so that I can see my tracks.

I don't think you could set a drop spreader thin enough for it.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
It looks like I blew my $100 budget this year. Just picked up 3 more 25 kilo bags at $18.95 per bag (before taxes) but for sure I won't use it all this year. I had a 1/2 bag left over from last year and the wife bought 3 bags in the Spring, so I used 3 1/2 bags so far to date. If I spread 2 more bags this year, I'll be a little over on my less than $100 per year claim. Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead, I just never think to include the tax.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hoosier Daddy as you know from our PMs I am hiring it out for the first time. I have a farm supply store close to me where I could do my one acre for about $75 - 80 a application. It is their generic label product. The guy there told me that alot of what you pay for Scott's is their advertising and packaging. I have had pretty good luck going that route but have never used a high end product until just recently when I hired TruGreen.

I have to say I wish I would have NOT hired TruGreen. Although they used a liquid herbicide they applied a granular fertilizer. I have been watering it in the past few days. I have a total of 4 more applications and hope it is not all granular. I typically have ferilized before or during a rain and didn't have to water it in. i could have bought that stuff myself and did it alot cheaper than the $300 I paid for TruGreen. I am hopeful that their product is alot better than the farm supply store's and I get good results on my sad looking front yard.

I have heard from the people who used Scott's regularly that they saved money using a lawn serivce to treat their lawn. I really would have a hard time paying for Scotts at that premium price for a lawn myself. My budget is about $300 a year on lawn treatment. Even if TruGreen gets my front yard looking half way decent, I am going back to the farm supply store.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Years ago I would watch for Scotts to go on sale (not very often) and buy it then or else go without. Later I switched to a Menard's labelled urea CRF and stocked up on it whenever it went on sale which was was way cheaper than Scotts. Then the wife got all concerned about the urea and wouldn't let me use it anymore.

I got the bright idea to use an agricultural grade fertilizer, arguing that if it is deemed save for the food we eat, certainly no harm should come to us putting it on the lawn, especially given that we don't eat the grass. Still, she won't use any of the composted grass clippings and leaves on the vegetable garden because they may contain "chemical" fertilizer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a fairly large yard...about 45,000sqft. A few weeks ago I bought enough Scotts W/Summer Guard to do my yard. I thought I would save some money by doing it myself. It cost me almost $300.00:fing20:

I had thought about doing Scotts 4-step program but at that cost there is no way I can afford it.

A couple weeks ago I got some quotes from Lawn care companies. Long story short I made a deal with TruGreen. $140.00 per application for my entire yard.

Anyone else run into this big price difference. I thought surely I could do it cheaper myself but in my case I can't.

Dan
Get a soil sample & send it off to the extension office. Cost is like $25 or so. They will send back a soil analysis telling you exactly what chemicals your lawn needs, when to apply them at what rate to apply them. Fertilizer at the Co-op is much much cheaper than the designer ones at Lowes or HD.

I just recently renovated about 1.5 acres & seeded it in bermuda. I fertilize it once a month so cost is a definite factor.

Guessing at what your lawn needs without knowing the chemical balance that makes up the PH will cost you more $ than anything else. Scott

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Get a soil sample...
It sounds so simple and while it might work for a small yard that has consistent soil throughout, it won't work for me. Even the soil that was there originally before I built the house varied. Some spots were hard blue clay, other spots had deep black loam on blue clay, and yet other spots had inclusions of gravel. In addition to all that was all the dirt I excavated and spread around and topped off with builder's sand and topsoil.

I would have to take about 20 samples and treat each area differently. About the best I can do is to plug aerate and top dress the worst areas more, apply lime where moss proliferates, and adjust the rate of fertilizer application based on the colour of the grass and how fast it grows.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i would have to take about 20 samples and treat each area differently
I think I would still get the samples just so I knew exactly what the PH of that area was. It might be much higher than you think or much worse than you could have believed :fing20:

My samples came back fairly close...4.9 in the back & 5.1 in the front. I was about to do a total renovation until the extension office convinced me it would be a complete waste of time & $ until I got the soil amended to a point where it would even support anything other than weeds. I spent the next 2.5 yrs adding the proper fertilizers, lime etc just getting ready for the renovation. They said it would take a couple years for the lime to work its way into the soil.

Shy of just covering your entire lawn with fresh top soil (expensive) I think the aerating & topdressing would be my choice as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts