My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used fertilizer on any of our flower/shrub beds and was wondering if I should. I usually only put mulch down when needed and some holly tone on acid loving plants.

I was at lowes today and saw a hose attachment that has hockey puck sized pucks of fertilzer inside them. (Forget the brand) I thought about buying it, but then I put it back for now figuring I would do some research on this. Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
HollyTone IS fertilizer, probably the best you can use.

I would not use anything additional.:trink39:

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was inquiring about all the other plants and flowers. We have a variety of stuff. Some looks good (especially since I removed the stone and put mulch around it all) and some looks like it could use help. Also I was wondering about the annuals we plant every year as well. Wondering if fertilizing makes them grow better.

·
Registered
801 Posts
For perennials, here is my theory. If your plants do well and are flowering, leave them alone. If you feed them they will grow bigger faster and probably outgrow their beds. The slower they grow, the longer you can keep them. You can only trim back big bushes so much until your down to a large trunk. But if you are building a privacy wall, bu all means, fertilize. This is coming from a man that spent two days last fall digging and cutting out the landscaping bushes that border the front of my house.

For annuals, I water them with miracle grow once a week. Them I want to grow and grow and spread and spread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts