My Tractor Forum banner
961 - 980 of 981 Posts

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
I only wear my helmet when felling, otherwise just earmuffs. I always wear my prescription glasses which have safety lenses but aren't goggles. I don't like the face shield on the helmet, doesn't look like it would stop anything...

Mike

· Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #962 ·
Just sat down to a very late dinner last evening, and was interrupted by a tremendous crash with window rattling thump.

Maybe a large chunk of that satellite that crashed back to earth this week, more likely a tree crashing to earth due to natural felling. Scout and I walked out with a flashlight and found this big - long dead - recently standing oak was down.

Walked back out this morning and inspected.

Dog Dog breed Plant Carnivore Tree

I had checked this tree with a hatchet a couple years ago when it was still sound. But, I hadn't yet decided which way to take it down with minimum damage to surrounding trees. Well, it is no longer sound, probably no usable firewood, and nature, or gravity found a clear path to the ground. Kind of close to an old play house, but no damage.

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Any tree that safely drops itself is a win, unless it's too rotten to be useful even as firewood.

Mike

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
The chainsaw chaps arrived today. These have the full calf wrap. Hopefully I will never do a test to see if they actually work.

Wood Sleeve Waist Floor Denim

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Wow, those are really nice chaps! What make/model?

Mike

· Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Any tree that safely drops itself is a win, unless it's too rotten to be useful even as firewood.

Mike
I'll burn the punky or not so great stuff in the outdoor firepit, where I'm not concerned with how many BTUs of heat it's putting out, or how quickly it will burn. Most wood doesn't get wasted at my place, unless it's just terrible.

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Thanks!

Mike

Reactions: cjet69

· Registered
1,750 Posts
I went out and cleared 10 more trees from one of my favorite trails. Some of it is a mountain bike trail with lots of switchbacks. I discovered this neat GPS app called Gaia GPS. It can map where you go and allows you to take pictures with a dropped pin. This is especially helpful so I can find my way back to a specific spot with a tree down without hiking the whole section of trail.
Purple Organism Map Violet Magenta

These switchbacks come close enough that I can skip from one to the next and shorten my hike to get to the downed trees.
Here are a few of the big ones.
Snow Plant Branch Natural landscape Twig

Snow Plant Branch Natural landscape Twig
Snow Plant Tree Branch Wood

Snow Plant Natural landscape Branch Twig

Snow Branch Twig Natural landscape Wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I went out and cleared 10 more trees from one of my favorite trails. Some of it is a mountain bike trail with lots of switchbacks. I discovered this neat GPS app called Gaia GPS. It can map where you go and allows you to take pictures with a dropped pin. This is especially helpful so I can find my way back to a specific spot with a tree down without hiking the whole section of trail.
View attachment 2581086
These switchbacks come close enough that I can skip from one to the next and shorten my hike to get to the downed trees.
Here are a few of the big ones.
View attachment 2581087
View attachment 2581088 View attachment 2581089
View attachment 2581090
View attachment 2581091

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like that app! I've got a similar one, but I paid for mine. I am able to do the same stuff you can, but it also shows me all property boundaries for where I'm at, and who owns the property (according to whatever the last tax information was/is through the county assessor's office). As you see in my picture, we bought the property almost two years ago, but on here it still shows the previous owner as owning the property. There's a free version of mine, but it only allows you to use it in one state (if I remember correctly). I think I paid a hundred bucks (per year) for mine, but it gives me access to the entire country's property lines and stuff like that. I used it to plot out my South property line, and drop pins where I've cut trails through my woods so far. I love some things relating to technology. Others, not so much!

Ecoregion Map Nature Green Natural environment

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
I need something like that to find one rear corner of my property.

There's a stake at one rear corner, but I've never been able to find the other.

The front boundaries are a little more obvious. One is lawn abutting a neighbor's lawn, with strings of sprinkler heads at the agreed line.

The other front corner has a granite marker, IIRC (but our underground utility boxes are also there). That one abuts a wooded area, which includes a drainage well, so that'll never be used / disputed.

The deed came with a drawing of the plot, but the measurements are illegible (copy of copy of copy, etc.). After moving in, I contacted the surveyor, they sent me an equally illegible copy.

Mike

· Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #973 ·
Nice job. Will you also be taking down the tree immediately adjacent to this one? It looked like it nearly got uprooted as the one you were cutting was falling. I thought you were going to get a 2-for-1 !
I didn't notice, (and still don't see which one you are referring to). There is a tree out there about 40' that was straddled by the two tops of the tree I cut down. Bark on both sides of that one were scraped pretty good. But, no two-fer here.

Reactions: cjet69

· Likes Vintage JDs
13,049 Posts
I didn't notice, (and still don't see which one you are referring to). There is a tree out there about 40' that was straddled by the two tops of the tree I cut down. Bark on both sides of that one were scraped pretty good. But, no two-fer here.
Jere, I don’t remember the details on that post anymore. But my vague recollection is it was a comment made about a tree-felling video that @CJet69 posted? Or was it something else?

· Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 ·
Jere, I don’t remember the details on that post anymore. But my vague recollection is it was a comment made about a tree-felling video that @CJet69 posted? Or was it something else?
You are right, it was right after one of my felling posts, but now I see it was related to a prior post of one of CJet69's posts. Sorry, please return to watching the sky for snow. We have white ground and driveway cover, but I don't think it will warrant plowing.

· Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I need something like that to find one rear corner of my property.

There's a stake at one rear corner, but I've never been able to find the other.

The front boundaries are a little more obvious. One is lawn abutting a neighbor's lawn, with strings of sprinkler heads at the agreed line.

The other front corner has a granite marker, IIRC (but our underground utility boxes are also there). That one abuts a wooded area, which includes a drainage well, so that'll never be used / disputed.

The deed came with a drawing of the plot, but the measurements are illegible (copy of copy of copy, etc.). After moving in, I contacted the surveyor, they sent me an equally illegible copy.

Mike
I had an entire thread about finding one of my property boundaries as well. In my situation is was my South-West marker, the lower right one in the above picture of that app. A lot of guys on here were really helpful in assisting me in finding my property marker. If you're interested in it, let me know, and I'll send you a link to the thread. A lot of times the rebar can be buried, and found with a metal detector. But if that doesn't get you there, there are a few other ways.

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
I had an entire thread about finding one of my property boundaries as well. In my situation is was my South-West marker, the lower right one in the above picture of that app. A lot of guys on here were really helpful in assisting me in finding my property marker. If you're interested in it, let me know, and I'll send you a link to the thread. A lot of times the rebar can be buried, and found with a metal detector. But if that doesn't get you there, there are a few other ways.
That would be awesome!

Yes, the one corner was easy to find because it has a (visible) rebar marker with a cap, and I believe a piece of surveyors tape on an adjacent tree. I've replaced that tape myself a few times when it's worn out.

MikeC

· Premium Member
2,072 Posts
That would be awesome!

Yes, the one corner was easy to find because it has a (visible) rebar marker with a cap, and I believe a piece of surveyors tape on an adjacent tree. I've replaced that tape myself a few times when it's worn out.

MikeC
Okay, give me a few minutes to go back and find the thread. I'll either forward a link of it to you, or just tag you in it so that you'll be able to read it. There are quite a few guys on this forum that are well versed in finding the property markers. Some of them have even worked for surveying companies at some point.

Edit: I just tagged you in the thread.

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
961 - 980 of 981 Posts