My Tractor Forum banner
941 - 960 of 981 Posts

· Premium Member
917 Posts
Pretty sure I forgot to post this, but I decided to tackle the fire pit pile again. Except this time I decided to use sawhorses so I didn't have to worry about throwing my back out again.

Plant Tree Window Wood Grass

The concept was good. Mainly struggled to keep the bigger branches from moving, so I'll have to figure out a way to hold them in place. But it was definitely easier.

The MS251C is holding up well so far as well.

Reactions: mopar65pa

· Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Good morning fellow sawyers. I had this big 24" DBH dead red with a serious bowed lean that I wanted down for my next firewood processing:

View attachment 2578943

It is aimed toward my house, though it would not reach that far. I warned my wife that she would hear - and likely feel a pretty good thump when it hit the ground.

With that lean, it was carrying a lot of weight, so I was cautious and attentive to the possibility of a barber chair. I've never had a dead Red Oak do that, but this one would not surprise me. So, here is about three minutes of opening the face, starting the back cut, and then standing back and watching the slow-motion fall:

This after action picture shows how the aim at my house was nearly perfect.

View attachment 2578944

When I came in for lunch my wife expressed that she wasn't prepared for the sound and feel of the thump. Proof positive she doesn't listen to me. But, I've got 50 years experience with her.
That tree would be a PERFECT candidate for a plunge cut if I were the one cutting that down.

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Nice job. Will you also be taking down the tree immediately adjacent to this one? It looked like it nearly got uprooted as the one you were cutting was falling. I thought you were going to get a 2-for-1 !
I probably will take it down but may wait for spring when the Cedar bark is easy to peel.

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Here is the video.

VERY nice job!

Couple of questions, and one observation:

How did you get your rope so high in the tree?

What are you wearing? If that's a full-body chainsaw-proof suit, where'd you find it?

That's a LOT of junk under your feet. I would have tripped just looking at it.

Mike

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
@Jere39 I have some oaks that are leaning like that, just a few feet beyond my rear property line.

They aren't quite as wide, and aren't aiming toward my property, but they still make me nervous.

Mike

Reactions: Jere39

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Pretty sure I forgot to post this, but I decided to tackle the fire pit pile again. Except this time I decided to use sawhorses so I didn't have to worry about throwing my back out again.

View attachment 2578958

The concept was good. Mainly struggled to keep the bigger branches from moving, so I'll have to figure out a way to hold them in place. But it was definitely easier.

The MS251C is holding up well so far as well.
Build yourself a sawbuck. This is mine. I copied the design from my FIL, but added the lawnmower wheels, which makes it super-easy to move around. It's very heavy and his was extremely difficult to move around, but mine moves like a wheelbarrow.

Gas Grass Automotive tire Wood Wheel
Sky Wood Plant Tree Natural landscape

There are other designs that get the wood higher (or you could add crosspieces higher up on this design).

Mike

• Love
Reactions: mopar65pa

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
VERY nice job!

Couple of questions, and one observation:

How did you get your rope so high in the tree?

What are you wearing? If that's a full-body chainsaw-proof suit, where'd you find it?

That's a LOT of junk under your feet. I would have tripped just looking at it.

Mike
I just pushed the rope up with a long branch. Insulated Carhartt's, not chainsaw proof.

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Gotcha. Too bad about the coveralls, I'd have bought a pair!

Mike

Reactions: cjet69

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Gotcha. Too bad about the coveralls, I'd have bought a pair!

Mike
I should get some chainsaw pants and a good helmet. Better before I need them than after.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
They are cheap compared to a trip to the ER. I started volunteering and removing fallen trees that block our public trails in town. The town requires chaos and a helmet to run a saw on town property. I bought a pair of chaps and a Stihl helmet last year. I like both but I did break one of the ear muff mounts on the helmet. It was dumb, I just pulled too hard getting it out of my backpack. They only sell the entire ear muff assy for $44, so I wired it back on with safety wire.

I really like the mesh screen on the helmet. It doesn’t fog up like safety glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #952 ·
Another picture about mid-way up the log. Still have fungi growing on one side, but plenty of sound red oak for firewood:

Brown Plant Wood Trunk Natural material

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Another picture about mid-way up the log. Still have fungi growing on one side, but plenty of sound red oak for firewood:

View attachment 2579109
Looks like a nice solid core. That outer layer looks Spalted (rot). Wood workers love that stuff and get some big bucks for live edge slabs, tables, and bowls.

Wood Natural material Tree Basket Trunk

Brown Wood Wood stain Lumber Hardwood

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Got a safety helmet today. I have a set of chaps coming that should be here tomorrow.

Helmet Plant Wood Tree Outdoor furniture
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Grass

· Registered
1,750 Posts
I like the design of the metal ear muff holders better than the plastic used on my Stihl helmet. Hopefully it will be more durable. It is handy to swing them back if you aren’t cutting constantly, like felling and maybe you want to communicate with a helper.

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
It's been a while since I paid attention, but I believe the ones on my Husqvarna helmet are also plastic, and swing out of the way.

They also "pop" in and out a little, so when you're cutting, you have them in, but if you need to talk, you can just pull them out (and they stay there). Kind of hard to describe.

Mike

· Registered
1,750 Posts
My Stihl muffs do the same(well until I broke one, naw that one is always tight). I still like to swing them back out of the way too.

Reactions: mikeinri

· Premium Member
6,768 Posts
After looking at a lot of helmets I saw a lot of features that I would like but not all on one helmet. I like those husky ear muffs that pop out, but also wanted the knob headband adjuster. The husky pro helmet has that feature but at a much higher price. I like the Stihl helmets also but again the price was more than I wanted to spend right now. This Oregon helmet was cheap and since I was unsure how much I would use it having never owned one before I decide this is the route I would go. It should be better than nothing. Also looks like it would work nice with the weed trimmer.

Reactions: UrbanTractor
941 - 960 of 981 Posts