My Tractor Forum banner
401 - 420 of 434 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Wrapping up on several projects started in this thread, some only a couple weeks ago, one, more than a year ago.

First, and with the help of my son, I worked on the stump of that evergreen that blew over. When I made my final cut, it flopped back down, but not as nicely as I had hoped. A bunch of roots, and a blanket of ivy kind of folded over and left the stump on a tilt. So, this morning I hitched to it with the truck, and pulled it back up:

Once we cleaned up the underside, I let it back down, where it sits relatively level. It will settle in better, especially after I drive over it a few times:

And a small Holly that was growing up through the evergreen has a head start in this location.

Then it was a convoy transport of the ATV and the chipper to my daughter's house where we chipped up a large pile of brush collected from the lawn over the past year. Then tackled the bigger, denser brush that came from the large Maple I sawed and processed for them over a year ago.

We just about had this pile finished when we decided to get a picture. My Son-in-law, grandson, and son handed me brush, and the chipper made chips for the trail to the creek.

A brief cell phone video of some of the final action:

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Man, you're going to make me buy one of those chippers, Jere!

Mike

Reactions: Jere39

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
A chipper, like a TracVac is an awesome tool on the weekends you need one - and a pain in the butt the rest of the time to store. I am glad I found a CL example that was substantial enough to handle the bulk of my brush, and be highway (ok roadway) tow-able. For what it's worth, talk one up among the neighbors, and have one of them buy a good one, then borrow it. No homeowner can keep one busy every weekend.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Registered
878 Posts
I dropped a couple trees that were leaning over the parking area at my shop this morning. The larger one had an interesting pattern in the heart. Not sure what species it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
@Jere39 I agree, for my yard, a chipper isn't a good investment. I'd need one that would probably cost $1-2k, and would rarely get used.

I currently burn everything that would go through a chipper. Tiny stuff gets burned outdoors, anything larger than an inch in diameter gets used as kindling in the woodstove that heats the house.

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
@turboaudi80 Wow, that's really cool! What did the leaves look like?

Mike

·
Registered
878 Posts
No leaves on it yet. I never paid attention to it before, so I don’t remember from previous years.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
No leaves on it yet. I never paid attention to it before, so I don’t remember from previous years.

Boxelder

Reactions: Jere39

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think you got it. Google says it likes to grow near streams and rivers. My shop is right on the Blackstone River. This one was in a particularly damp part of the lot. I’ll look around for others to confirm.

Reactions: c5rulz

·
Registered
878 Posts
@Jere39 I agree, for my yard, a chipper isn't a good investment. I'd need one that would probably cost $1-2k, and would rarely get used.

I currently burn everything that would go through a chipper. Tiny stuff gets burned outdoors, anything larger than an inch in diameter gets used as kindling in the woodstove that heats the house.

Mike
If you want to burn over an inch then a chipper gets much cheaper. I picked up a Super Tomahawk made by Troy Built. It says it is good for up to 3” but that is at its limit. I found mine for $120 on FB marketplace. It needed the knife sharpened but ran good with some fresh gas. I had to replace the belt last year. They come up for $200 or less if you look. I even found the manual for free pdf download on their site. Don’t expect it to work like a Vermeer that you see behind a tree service truck.

I do like the tow behind design of Jere’s. I end up moving it in the loader bucket if I have far to go. It’s heavy to drag around by hand.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
@turboaudi80 I have a TB chipper/shredder attachment for my TB PTO Horse Rototiller, which is essentially a Super Tomahawk without an engine. Burning is easier/faster for small stuff.

I like the style of Jere's DR unit, as it can handle larger pieces, and would make big enough chips to be useful to line a path, etc.

Mike

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I think you got it. Google says it likes to grow near streams and rivers. My shop is right on the Blackstone River. This one was in a particularly damp part of the lot. I’ll look around for others to confirm.

The red center and big chips are a dead giveaway. Always treat the stumps with Tordon RTU to kill the root. I hate boxelders.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Why do you hate them?

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Dropped 2 Dead Cedar's today. I shot some video of the bigger one that I will post when uploaded. The pics are the bigger one also after I cut it into lengths for the mill. The bark was loose so I was able to peel it off.

GOPR1165-m.JPG GOPR1166-m.JPG

·
Registered
878 Posts
Dropped 2 Dead Cedar's today. I shot some video of the bigger one that I will post when uploaded. The pics are the bigger one also after I cut it into lengths for the mill. The bark was loose so I was able to peel it off.

View attachment 2502618 View attachment 2502619
Nice straight logs. How are you going to move them?

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Found a medium-sized tree down (oak, I believe) in my side yard yesterday. I think it was my neighbor's (base looks like it's on his side of the property line). Broke clean off, a few feet from the ground.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
10,575 Posts

View attachment 2502618 View attachment 2502619
Those smell good...did you save any small pieces to put in closets or drawers....they help keep moths away, too if you have any woolen items

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Nice straight logs. How are you going to move them?
I have been using a small trailer behind a tractor or gator. I load and unload them with a front end loader.

100_0719 (Medium).JPG 100_0817 (Medium).JPG 100_0828 (Medium).JPG

Those smell good...did you save any small pieces to put in closets or drawers....they help keep moths away, too if you have any woolen items
Didn't save any yet, but I will have plenty of opportunity when I start milling.

401 - 420 of 434 Posts